Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 BOSTON GLOBE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A snippet from the political notebook in today's Globe North Weekly section:

Freshman incumbent Stephen "Stat" Smith of Everett defeated Everett Alderman at large Wayne A. Matewsky by 3,131 votes to 2,604 in the district that includes Everett and two Malden precincts.

Smith, who is also an Everett School Committee member, said the results show that voters "understand I'm trying to do my very best. I think they appreciate the job I'm doing."

"I'm naturally disappointed, but my committee did a wonderful job," said Matewsky. "We ran a very classy campaign and tried to do the best we could. I'm looking forward to continuing to . . . serve people at City Hall. That's what I've been doing for 28 years."

And a brief article about Chelsea that should be of some interest:

CHELSEA
The City Council recently voted to designate an 8-acre area in the Everett Avenue Urban Renewal District as a priority development site. A state law, Chapter 43D, allows cities and towns to create such sites, where fast-track permitting is designed to spur development. Under the law, permitting decisions must be rendered within 180 days from the date the community receives a completed project application. City Manager Jay Ash said Chelsea's proposed site designation must be approved by the state. The city then would be eligible for $100,000 in infrastructure planning funds. According to Ash, ACS Development is working on an office development plan for 5 of the 8 acres, while Choice Hotels has proposed building a Cambria Suites Hotel on the other 3 acres. He said the priority site designation is intended to help facilitate the two projects by giving the developers timely decisions on zoning matters. - John Laidler

Edited by - tetris on 09/21/2008 08:39:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. last week submitted a $1.3 million capital spending request to the City Council. The funding is drawn from part of the proceeds of the city's recent sale of its former city services yard on East Elm Street. Great Northern Corp., whose principal is William Thibault, purchased the approximately 3-acre former city yard for $3.5 million earlier this month, according to Erin Deveney, DeMaria's chief of staff. She said the $1.3 million would be used to purchase vehicles and other equipment for the Public Services Department, including a vacuum truck for the Water and Sewer division and a dump truck with a snow and sander. "Our current equipment fleet is over 20 years old or in serious need of repair," she said. - John Laidler
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:11:28 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope for library overhaul
Shute Memorial wins state grant

By John Laidler
Globe Correspondent / September 25, 2008

In a milestone for a project first envisioned a decade ago, Everett was recently awarded a $1.58 million provisional state grant to help renovate and expand the century-old Shute Memorial Library.

But library officials concede the hard part still lies ahead.

To access the grant, the Everett Library Department needs to come up with the balance of the costs of the project - which has a price tag estimated at $3.75 million - by the end of next year. Library officials plan to seek those funds through a combination of city appropriations, donations, and private foundation grants.

"We've been working on this for a long time, so we are really excited it finally looks like it's moved ahead a few steps," said Everett's library director, Deborah Abraham. "But we have a big job in front of us."

Library trustees plan to begin discussing the next steps at their meeting Oct. 7. According to Abraham, those steps will include initiating plans for a fund-raising drive, and updating the cost estimate.

"The whole thing has to really be done over," said Donald Chiavelli, chairman of the city's Board of Library Trustees. "It's an old building. . . . We've done the best we can but to bring it up to date, we need to do a major overhaul. And we can do that all with the addition."

Situated at 781 Broadway, the Shute is the city's branch library serving north Everett. The Parlin Memorial Library, at 410 Broadway, is the main library.

When the project comes before the City Council for funding, Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. said, he anticipates some councilors may question why the city needs to renovate and retain a second library when the Shute could be sold as surplus property.

DeMaria said he supports going forward with the project, but on condition that there is an expansion of programs and services offered at the Shute.

"If we are going to keep it, I want to make sure it's not just a building with a couple of people reading books," he said. "I want some action, some more programming, for children, older kids, adults. I want an active library."

The Shute was opened in 1899 through a bequest for land that William Shute, a local resident, left to the city in 1891 in memory of his mother, Tabitha Shute. Through much of its history, it operated separate from the Parlin, with its own board. But in 1986, the two libraries merged, and since then the Shute has functioned as a branch. (Everett has had other branch libraries that have since closed.)

Over the years, the city constructed two additions to the Shute building: one to the rear in the early 1900s, and one to the south side in the 1960s. In 1936, part of the lower level was converted to a children's area. But the facility has never had a major overhaul.

Among its deficiencies is poor access for people with disabilities. Reaching the front door requires ascending a "huge flight of concrete stairs," Abraham said. There are also stairs at the side and back entrances. Other problems include worn out floor and wall surfaces, and outmoded mechanical systems.

"It's one of the few historic buildings in Everett. If it's going to be kept, it's got to be done," Abraham said of the project.

Despite its problems, the Shute, which has 50,000 books and other materials, has seen increasing usage, Abraham said. In particular, more students have been using the library since the city's new high school opened nearby last year.

"If it were a nicer building, I'm sure we'd be even busier," she said.

The project calls for a new 1,370-square-foot, two-story addition on the north side of the building, featuring a fully accessible street-level entrance, an elevator, and handicapped-accessible restrooms. It would also provide space for a study room.

Improvements to the existing 7,210-square-foot building would include a full updating of mechanical systems and the addition of a meeting room for library programs and for use by community groups.

The library hopes to include "green" features in the project, which could make the city eligible for additional state funds.

Everett received a state planning grant for the Shute project in 1999.

In 2005, the project was approved for funding by the state Board of Library Commissioners and placed on a waiting list of projects that would be offered grants once state dollars became available. The money became available this summer through the passage of a bond bill.

Meanwhile, the city is preparing to undertake repairs to the front steps of the Parlin library. The City Council recently approved DeMaria's request for $90,000 to fund that project. The Parlin, which opened in 1895, underwent an award-winning renovation in 1992. Abraham said with the exception of the steps and some problems with the heating system, the building is in good shape.

John Laidler can be reached at laidler@globe.com.

© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
State facing budget woes as local aid payment due

By Matt Viser
Globe Staff / September 25, 2008

State Treasurer Timothy P. Cahill said yesterday that the state must take dramatic steps - borrowing at a higher interest rate than usual and tapping the state's rainy day fund for $310 million - to make sure it has enough cash to make local aid payments due next week to cities and towns.

The extraordinary moves are a direct result of the troubled credit markets roiling Wall Street, and they portend more dire decisions looming for state lawmakers, Cahill said. The turmoil arises as state revenues are decreasing, making access to credit even more important.

"This is no longer a Wall Street issue, this is a Main Street issue," Cahill said. "I don't want to be constantly beating a dead horse. But it's a crisis. A full-blown crisis. We have to slow down or cut spending."

Cahill warned that some major-ticket items might have to be curtailed, including some of the Governor Deval Patrick's priorities, such as expanding prekindergarten classes, repairing bridges, and increasing healthcare spending.

Administration officials did not dispute Cahill's assertion that the situation is serious but said they are still working on potential cuts in the $28.2 billion budget, which is not even three months old. The administration has not ruled out seeking legislative approval to reduce the $5.3 billion in education and other categories of local aid the state pays to cities and towns, as former governor Mitt Romney did in 2003.

"It's too soon to speculate how deep we're going to have to go," Patrick told reporters at the State House yesterday. "I think it is clear that we are going to have to do some trimming of the budget, and we have some plans for that."

Patrick would not rule out raising fees or instituting layoffs, saying there are various plans that administration officials are exploring, depending on how bad the financial situation gets.

"The numbers we have are preliminary. They are nonetheless concerning," he said.

The most immediate need is $1.3 billion in quarterly payments that are scheduled to go out to cities and towns next week. Municipalities use the money to fund everything from teachers to trash collections.

Cahill said it appears likely that cities and towns will get their local aid payments - preventing layoffs and cutbacks in municipal budgets - but he said he has had to jump through a complex set of financial hoops to make it work. Cahill and other state officials characterize the borrowing maneuvers as common ways to make payments before all of the tax revenue comes in. But the state usually is not this strapped this early and facing interest payments this high.

The state yesterday borrowed $51 million in a short-term loan from investors, at an interest rate of 6 percent for a practice that normally charges 2 percent interest. In order to make local aid payments, the state still needs to borrow up to $349 million in similar loans before next week. State officials fear a similarly high interest rate.

"This stuff is unheard of," Cahill said. "It's like going to the loan shark for money."

The state is also planning to use $310 million from the state's rainy day fund. The state had budgeted for such a drawdown but had expected to take the money out in December.

To continue paying bills, the state would try in early October to borrow $750 million, taken against future revenues, Cahill said.

"We support those efforts," said Leslie Kirwan, Patrick's secretary of administration and finance. "It's a challenging situation, predominantly the result of an unprecedented market, so this shouldn't be a surprise."

Senior state lawmakers have been scrutinizing the state's financial picture, and their concern was heightened last week when the administration said that tax collections for September are running $200 million less than September 2007.

Patrick, who can unilaterally impose cuts to about two-thirds of the state budget, has also asked the Legislature to grant him rare authority for expanded powers to cut in other areas. There are several looming milestones that will fill in the budget picture, including whether capital gains taxes will decrease precipitously and whether the state will get healthcare reimbursements it is seeking from the federal government.

"I don't think anybody can be sure about anything, given what's happening on Wall Street right now," Kirwan said. "We will work together through this, with the treasurer and the Legislature."

Matt Viser can be reached at maviser@globe.com.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things I see wrong with this article. (I could be wrong)

I thought the question was asked to the solicitor as to “who” was purchasing the city yards and her response was “Boston Business Center.” Also, I do not believe the address for the city yards is East Elm Street.

Everett seeks $1.3m for public services
September 25, 2008

Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. last week submitted a $1.3 million capital spending request to the City Council. The funding is drawn from part of the proceeds of the city's recent sale of its former city services yard on East Elm Street. Great Northern Corp., whose principal is William Thibault, purchased the approximately 3-acre former city yard for $3.5 million earlier this month, according to Erin Deveney, DeMaria's chief of staff. She said the $1.3 million would be used to purchase vehicles and other equipment for the Public Services Department, including a vacuum truck for the Water and Sewer division and a dump truck with a snow and sander. "Our current equipment fleet is over 20 years old or in serious need of repair," she said. - John Laidler
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you about the name of the company that bought the city yard is Boston Business Center. I can remember MS Mejia mentioning it several times.

I don't really know the address of the old city yard but if you google map East Elm Street, the entrance could very well be off of East Elm.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:24:58 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article's a little bit of mess. They didn't even spell Thibeault's name right. The entrance to the old city yards was definitely off East Elm street though.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  1:36:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is a mess, but I cannot blame the Globe. This is information given to them, with the exception of a misspelling, I am sure. Thinking back on it, I do remember one instance for certain. The question was asked by Rosa as to “who” was purchasing the city yards. The Mayor didn’t have a clue (I was surprised, with this going around and around) and he looked over to the solicitor then answered Rosa “Boston Business Center", then…..the solicitor whispered something to the mayor, and he said “Boston Business Center; LLC.

So, either they are giving false information on purpose, or just incompetent.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  08:47:58 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police protests force work crews to abandon sites

Officers upset over law curbing use of paid details

By Brian R. Ballou
Globe Staff / October 4, 2008

Police union members upset with the governor's new rules allowing some roadway projects to go on without police details protested at two work sites yesterday, forcing state workers to abandon the projects on the first day under the new regulations.

A Massachusetts Water Resources Authority crew planning to do routine sewage work through a manhole in an Everett roadway decided to leave after some 30 protesters appeared with signs and said they would prefer that the crew not go ahead without a paid police detail.

The crew then went to another roadway work site in Revere, where protesters also appeared. One of the protesters, Revere police Captain James Guido, told Mike Hornbrook, the MWRA's chief operating officer, that the work site was a traffic hazard and that it was unsafe.

"I can't allow you to work here," Guido said. The four-man crew eventually departed.

The confrontations were the latest in a highly charged debate over police details that has raged for years and recently escalated when Governor Deval Patrick ruled the state would save millions by cutting back on the number of construction sites requiring police supervision.

The rule changes have been opposed by police, many of whom supplement their incomes with tens of thousands of dollars annually by keeping watch over and directing traffic at construction sites.

MWRA officials said they carefully reviewed the new guidelines before sending out the crew, believed to be the first to work under the new rules that went into effect yesterday. The new rules don't require flaggers or police details at most low-traffic, low-speed residential work sites, such as the ones where the crews yesterday tried to work. But Guido, whose police responsibilities include making sure all work sites in Revere meet municipal safety standards, said the work would disrupt traffic.

A bumper sticker placed by protesters over a manhole cover at the Everett site read: "Police Details Save Lives, Governor appointed flagmen don't."

Police unions have long tangled with administrations that tried to pry the perk away and in the past have prevailed. In 1992, Governor William F. Weld proposed replacing police details with civilian flaggers, but after hundreds of police officers picketed the State House, he scrapped the idea. Through the years, lobbying efforts have enabled police unions to hold onto the roadway details, which had paid as much as $40 an hour to State Police troopers.

But several months ago, Patrick, looking for ways to slice the state deficit, started backing the effort to use civilian flaggers rather than police details, saying the practice would not diminish public safety and would save the Commonwealth millions. On April 17, Patrick signed a transportation bond bill authorizing the Executive Office of Transportation to craft regulations on the use of flaggers at roadwork sites. Yesterday, the bill became law.

The new policy requires police details at the most dangerous roadway sites and civilian flaggers at some others. The least dangerous sites are not required to have either details or flaggers. The policy will mean annual savings to the state of between $5.7 million and $7.2 million, according to administration estimates.

Police union officials - angry over what they say was unfair treatment during the administration's drafting of the law - said they are planning more pickets at state construction projects.

"There was no compromise. It was a one-way deal, a wrong deal that doesn't save any money," Guido said yesterday of the administration's drafting of the rule. Guido said that civilian flaggers will not be as quick as police to react to accidents or other public safety issues in and around roadwork sites.

Next week, the state highway department is scheduled to begin using civilian flaggers at roadwork sites throughout the state, said MassHighway Commissioner Luisa Paiewonsky.

"MassHighway is committed to implementing Governor Patrick's civilian flagger program promptly and safely, and we will have flaggers on certain projects that have been deemed safe this Tuesday," Paiewonsky said.

She said the agency has trained some 100 employees to be flaggers and has certified 14 trainers.

Kyle Sullivan, spokesman for Patrick, said the administration intends to hold firm on its commitment to the new rules. "We are confident these reforms will be implemented successfully and that the Commonwealth will realize significant savings," he said.

The new regulations will place civilian flaggers on nearly all state roads where the speed limit is below 45 miles per hour, and on low-traffic roads where the speed limit is higher. Civilians would also be used at sites where barriers are used to block off construction sites on a high-speed, high-traffic road. High-traffic roads with speed limits of 45 miles per hour and above would still rely on police officers.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  12:15:23 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More towns joining state healthcare

By John Laidler
Globe Correspondent / October 9, 2008

Melrose and Wenham last week became part of growing list of cities and towns taking advantage of a 2007 state law that allows municipalities to join the state's healthcare system as a way of limiting spiraling insurance costs.

The two are among five cities and towns that met an Oct. 1 deadline to enroll in the Group Insurance Commission - the agency that administers the state plan to about 300,000 employees, retirees, and dependents - beginning July 1, 2009, the start of the next fiscal year. Five other communities, including Groveland, Saugus, and Winthrop, enrolled earlier this year.

"I couldn't be happier," said Melrose Mayor Robert J. Dolan, who praised the city's union employees for approving the move to GIC. "To discuss and try to change health benefits is a difficult subject. It's an emotional subject. . . . But they tackled it."

To get union approval, Melrose agreed to a number of concessions. But even with those, the city expects to save $2 million in fiscal 2010 with the health care switch, according to Patrick Dello Russo, chief financial officer/auditor.

Under the 2007 law, a municipality can enroll only if the option is approved by at least a 70 percent weighted vote of a committee representing its employee unions and retirees. In Melrose, the proposal passed with a 71.7 percent majority after each union held membership votes.

"This is the most significant budget change in my seven years as mayor," Dolan said, noting that healthcare is the second largest line item in the city budget and a quickly rising one.

Town Administrator Jeff Chelgren called Wenham's enrollment in GIC, approved by a unanimous vote of its three-member union committee, a good deal for the town.

"The upcoming fiscal year promises to be one of the most difficult we've seen in the last 10 or 11 years, and this is a very helpful tool for us," he said.

Chelgren estimated that had Wenham been enrolled in GIC this year, it would be paying $75,000 to $108,000 less for healthcare than it is now. He said it also would benefit the town's employees and retirees, who this year would have saved $1,200 for a family plan.

With the exception of Saugus, the five municipalities that previously joined GIC enrolled as of last July 1. Because Saugus was in fiscal crisis last year, lawmakers amended the 2007 law to let the town join early, which it did on Jan. 1, 2008. One other community, Springfield, was able to join the GIC in 2006 because it was under a state financial control board.

Across the state, four other public entities, including two regional school districts, also are joining the GIC next July 1, while six enrolled last July 1. Four communities notified the GIC they had reached agreement with union leaders by the Oct. 1 deadline, but are awaiting union ratification votes.

A number of communities tried unsuccessfully to join the GIC this year. In Newburyport and Swampscott, proposals were defeated by votes of the union committees, while in Marblehead, the effort was dropped after negotiations reached an impasse.

Marblehead town administrator Anthony Sasso said the town has been able to make an alternative change that will also bring savings: enrolling in the Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Association's health plan to replace the town's self-insured plan.

Newburyport Mayor John Moak is looking to have his city change the type of plan it offers its employees through the MIAA. He said the move, which requires union approval, would bring the city as much or more savings than it would gain by joining GIC.

Joel Barrera, senior project director for the Metropolitan Area Planning Council, estimated 30 to 40 communities looked at joining the GIC this year, of which 20 to 25 attempted union negotiations.

"We are very pleased that this number of communities and this diversity of communities is coming in," said Barrera, whose agency assists municipalities considering the GIC. While disappointed that more cities and towns failed in their bids to enroll, he said the new law is at least spurring conversation locally about minimizing healthcare costs.

GIC executive director Delores L. Mitchell said the relatively slow pace of municipal enrollment in GIC is understandable.

"It turns out it's more complicated and more difficult than anyone anticipated," she said, noting that her agency will look for ways to ease the process.

In Melrose, the city and union reached agreement after a seven-month process that included bargaining and public education meetings for union members.

"I would say the key is . . . sharing as much information as possible," said Marianne Long, the city's director of human resources.

Saugus Town Manager Andrew Bisignani said joining GIC "has proven to be to our advantage."

In fiscal 2008, he said, the town saved about $1.9 million, enabling it to avoid a projected $1.3 million shortfall in its health insurance account and to instead generate a $600,000 cash surplus. Bisignani said the town is saving approximately $700,000 in fiscal 2009.

Groveland expects to save about $151,000 this year from joining GIC, and its employees will save on average $2,350, according to finance director Greg Labrecque.

Winthrop Town Manager Richard J. White said GIC also has worked for his community, noting that it has saved money.

"Our employees like the program," he said. "It's not for everybody, but given our claims history . . . it was perfect for us."

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  12:22:28 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where Everett efforts on this stands? I'd have to think that getting a 70 percent weighted vote of a committee representing its employee unions and retirees would be hard to get in this city.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never heard of this type of lottery.

EVERETT
HOUSE LOTTERY - The city and the North Suburban Consortium are jointly holding a lottery Oct. 20 to select an applicant to purchase an affordable two-family home at 183-185 Elm St. Everett took the home for nonpayment of taxes, and the consortium subsequently acquired it from the city and renovated it. The North Suburban Consortium is an affordable housing consortium that serves Everett and seven other communities. The asking price for the house, which includes a two-bedroom unit and a three-bedroom unit, is $220,000. The buyer is required to occupy one of the units and rent the other at affordable rates. Applicants must meet annual income limits based on 80 percent of area median income, which varies depending on household size. For a family of four, the limit would be $66,150. Applications are due by tomorrow. To obtain an application, go to northsuburbanconsortium.org, ci.everett.ma.us, or call 617-394-2313. - John Laidler
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SETTING PRIORITIES - The city's Community Development office is holding a public meeting Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Keverian room in City Hall to seek citizen input into Everett's application for federal Community Development Block Grant funding next year. Everett annually applies to the state for an allotment that must be spent on programs and initiatives to benefit low and moderate income residents. According to Marzie Galazka, community development director, Everett was awarded $800,000 for this fiscal year, and plans to seek the same amount next year. Tuesday's meeting is an opportunity for residents to offer feedback on how the city would use next year's funding. Past uses of block grant money have included roadway rehabilitation, improvements to parks and playgrounds, and support of social service agencies that serve Everett residents. The city will use the input in preparing its application, scheduled to be filed next January or February. - John Laidler

CULTURE FEST - Mayor Carlo DeMaria is inviting local restaurants and other businesses, as well as community organizations, to participate in the city's first Cultural Festival from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 25 in Everett Square. The event, designed to celebrate the city's cultural diversity, will feature live music on the soundstage in the square. Restaurants will set up tables offering samples of their menu items for sale, while organizations and other businesses will offer information. There will also be games, face painting, and other family activities. The city plans to make the festival an annual event. A full festival schedule will be posted on cityofeverett.com, and on ECTV, Everett's cable access station. Vendors, organizations, and businesses that would like to take part can call the mayor's office at 617-394-2270. -John Laidler

PARK IMPROVEMENTS - The city hopes to hear a decision in the next few weeks from the state Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs on its application for a park improvements grant. Everett applied for $500,000 under the agency's Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities program. According to community development director Marzie Galazka, the city would use the funds to upgrade Sacramone Park, located off Santilli Highway and Tileston Street. The work would include replacing the grass field with synthetic turf and building a new concession stand to replace the existing stand, which is in worn condition and too small to meet current needs. If any money is left over, the city would apply it toward planned improvements at Everett Memorial Stadium, which include replacing the grass field with synthetic turf and improving the bleachers and restrooms. The consulting firm Camp Dresser and McKee assisted the city in the grant application. - John Laidler

Edited by - tetris on 10/12/2008 09:14:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  1:15:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

PARK IMPROVEMENTS - The city hopes to hear a decision in the next few weeks from the state Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs on its application for a park improvements grant. Everett applied for $500,000 under the agency's Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities program. According to community development director Marzie Galazka, the city would use the funds to upgrade Sacramone Park, located off Santilli Highway and Tileston Street. The work would include replacing the grass field with synthetic turf and building a new concession stand to replace the existing stand, which is in worn condition and too small to meet current needs. If any money is left over, the city would apply it toward planned improvements at Everett Memorial Stadium, which include replacing the grass field with synthetic turf and improving the bleachers and restrooms. The consulting firm Camp Dresser and McKee assisted the city in the grant application. - John Laidler

I was under the impression that the grant for the stadium and Sacramone Park were two separate ones?? I thought Senator Galluccio was seeking the grant for the stadium? Also, there are other parks in the city that are in dire need of work, I will admit, Sacramone should come first, but look at the others too.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Program cuts begin to bleed
Loss of state funds affects cherished plans, services

By Kathy McCabe
Globe Staff / October 19, 2008

The state budget ax fell hard and fast on communities north of Boston, slashing money for job training and education, youth and senior services, street and sidewalk repairs, and other critical projects.

Haverhill lost $1 million to help pay down $7.5 million in annual debt owed on the old Hale Hospital, a city-run facility that closed in 2001. Saugus, a town struggling to regain financial stability after years of budget deficits, lost $100,000 for the Council on Aging. In Swampscott, Humphrey Street will have to wait for a makeover after $150,000 to fund streetscape improvements was eliminated.

Everett's plan to team with the Middlesex Boys & Girls Club of Stoneham to provide after-school programs for middle schoolers will probably be put on hold after losing $112,500 of a $150,000 state grant.

"We had been in negotiations," said Erin Deveney, chief of staff to Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. "Because of this cut, unfortunately, we'll have to probably curtail, delay, or completely eliminate the city's efforts."

The cuts are part of $1 billion in emergency spending reductions ordered last week by Governor Deval Patrick to close a projected $1.4 billion deficit for Massachusetts.

Local aid to cities and towns so far has been spared under Patrick's blueprint to deal with the financial crisis. Still, the sweeping cuts announced Wednesday will impact local services. Community policing, elders services, arts and cultural activities - all rely on state funding. In many cases, the exact amount of a cut is not yet known, officials said.

"This absolutely will affect us," said Revere Police Captain Michael Murphy, referring to the department's community policing grant. "We could lose a few salaries, but we really don't know yet how this will end up."

Saugus Town Manager Andrew R. Bisignani said the impact of community policing funds is also not yet known. But the $100,000 cut to the Council on Aging could jeopardize the town's senior center.

"We already don't have enough money to finish the year," Bisignani said, noting the town already was short $53,000 to maintain services. "This could mean we either have to close the center or reduce its hours."

Nonprofit organizations may also have to rethink operations. The Greater Lynn YMCA, for example, may have to charge for admission to a Friday night program for middle schoolers at its Saugus branch. An $80,000 state grant was cut to $40,000. "We'll have to think about how we handle this," said Bruce Macdonald, the branch's executive director. "Given what the state is facing, I'm just glad we didn't lose the whole grant."

Some municipal leaders, while saying the cuts are painful, also see the glass as half-full.

"The sky is not falling," said Haverhill Mayor James Fiorentini "We've had time to prepare for this. Everyone knows the economy is not good."

He said local budgets probably will be reduced to cope with the loss of $1 million in debt relief for Hale Hospital. He had asked department heads to prepare a list of cuts even before cuts were announced last week. "I'm very grateful the governor didn't cut it all," he said.

Swampscott Town Administrator Andrew Maylor said the loss of funding for Humphrey Street will delay improvements to the town's central business district. But it also appears that cuts to community policing, and special education reimbursement, may not be a insurmountable. "From what we have waded through already, the cuts were less punitive than we thought," he said Thursday afternoon.

Leaders of several small-city job-training programs, for whom state funding is a lifeline, worry that the cuts may be a knockout punch. Centro Latino de Chelsea will have to absorb a $100,000 cut to a $200,000 grant providing adult workforce training. The grant is usually split with the Chelsea Collaborative, another nonprofit, to fund summer jobs programs. Each now will probably end up with $50,000, said Juan R. Vega, executive director of Centro Latino de Chelsea.

The E-Team Machinist Training Program in Lynn may have to close up shop after losing $105,000. State money is the largest single source of funding for the program, run by the Essex County Community Organization. There are 36 students enrolled in the nine-month course, which meets at Lynn high school.

"We don't know what to tell people," said Tony Dunne, the program director. "I'm going to have to ask my teachers if they will go without pay for a while, until we figure out how to pay them."

Katheleen Conti of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Kathy McCabe can be reached at kmccabe@globe.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2