Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 BOSTON GLOBE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  07:10:18 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Man busted for drunken driving following Revere crash

REVERE - An Everett man is facing drunken driving charges after he skidded 25 feet before crashing into a Park Avenue fence Monday afternoon, police said.
Paul Wilson, 61, of 5 Golden Age Circle, Everett, was arrested and charged with operating under the influence of alcohol and driving to endanger shortly after 2 p.m. Monday after his car crashed at 537 Park Ave.

Police say a 25-foot long skid mark was observed in the street leading up to the accident scene.

Responding police officers said they found Wilson leaning against the car and exhibited signs of intoxication. After refusing medical treatment despite having injuries, he allegedly had a recorded blood alcohol level of .14.

- Dan O'Brien

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I hear correctly that city services will not clean this stuff up because it's DCR property?

I'm not sure, that's why I am asking. However, if that is the case, the rotary is DCR property too. What makes that so special that city services can work on there, but not clean up glass?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2008 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is NOT good for Everett traffic and the roads. The residents of Everett already suffer through GRID LOCK on a daily basis because people just can not afford the tolls.

The city has to do something about this,with the state, and all the trucks. It's out of control.

Pike board approves toll hike
November 14, 2008 11:33 AM

By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff
The Turnpike Authority board voted 4-1 to approve a hike of 75 cents at the Weston and Allston-Brighton tollbooths and $3.50 at the Sumner and Ted Williams tunnels.
The plan, which is subject to public hearings and a final vote, would take effect some time in February or March. It would increase tolls at Weston and Allston-Brighton to $2 from $1.25 and at the tunnels to $7 from $3.50. Fast Lane users would pay $1.50 at Weston and Allston-Brighton and $6 at the tunnels.
With the 4-to-1 vote, the board approved a plan outlined by Turnpike managers.
Governor Deval Patrick wrote in an op-ed piece in Thursday's Globe that "there is simply no way around an increase in the short term."
The Turnpike has said for several months that the agency is in desperate need of money, with a budget deficit of about $100 million. Tollpayers have been livid at the potential increase, which comes just as many people are struggling during the financial downturn.

Comments:
Sure....what the hell...might as well screw the folks on the North Shore again.
Must be nice for the folks who commute on Rt 93...enjoy the free ride everyday folks.
I guess a gas tax makes no sense...after all that would mean that everyone who uses the roads who pay for them, instead of just those who live in certain areas.
Thanks Mr. Governor, you've finally made it worth my while to commute through Everett instead of taking the tunnel.
Go to Top of Page

arthur

212 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  05:58:03 AM  Show Profile Send arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERETT
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS ON WAY - The Boys & Girls Clubs of Middlesex County is coming to Everett. Under an arrangement between the city and the Somerville-based nonprofit, the organization will shortly be establishing an office in Everett's Sammy Gentile Recreation Center on Elm Street, according to Matt Laidlaw, the city's communications director. The Boys & Girls Clubs will offer programming for young people to supplement the city's Recreation Department, which also is located in the center. The department and the nonprofit also will do some joint programming. Laidlaw said the clubs were able to come to the city through $50,000 in grants from the group's national organization, and $40,000 in state grants secured by state Representative Stephen "Stat" Smith of Everett and state Senator Anthony D. Galluccio of Cambridge. He said the eventual goal is for the organization to have its own site in Everett. - John Laidler

MBTA SEMINAR - The city is holding a Charlie Card Seminar Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Connolly Center, 90 Chelsea St. Representatives from the MBTA will be available to answer questions about Charlie Cards and tickets. They will also be issuing new Charlie Card identifications for seniors and people with qualifying disabilities. Anyone with identifications issued prior to May 2005 needs to obtain a new ID. For more information, call 617-394-2323 or 617-394-2260. - John Laidler

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  3:00:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened to all the discussion with the field house? I think it's perfect in the Rec Center, but that was not how it was proposed. I'm just wondering what changed?
Go to Top of Page

whatsup

33 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  09:11:59 AM  Show Profile Send whatsup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect???? It's not perfect at all!!!! What's going to happen to the Rec and their programs that are for OUR CHILDREN. The Rec is a city building that is paid for by the residents of this city, hence the signs that read "EVERETT RESIDENTS ONLY, ID REQUIRED." Last week I emailed the Council and BOA and a few of them responded to me. I spoke with Rosa DiFlorio and she reassured me that the Rec was staying and nothing was changing. Now this article appears and low and behold the office is going there. I have been in that building for 7 yrs and there is not one inch available for an office. Are they kicking someone out of their space. Those people run the Rec and all the programs in there. That's not right. The boys and girls club will be open to everyone, so how does a city building be allowed to be used for other kids from other cities? I feel like I've be duped.....

My head is spinning over this. Last week I felt reassured that the Rec was all set. I was even told that the Boys & Girls Club was going in at the old high school. But now the Rec and Boys and Girls Club are in the same sentence. It seems like bull**** to me. Any parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends who have ever taken a child to the toddler program know it is a fantastic program. I feel that those programs are in jeopardy. Please call or email the Council and BOA. You can find them on cityofeverett.com.

Thank You for your help....
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whatsup

Perfect???? It's not perfect at all!!!! What's going to happen to the Rec and their programs that are for OUR CHILDREN. The Rec is a city building that is paid for by the residents of this city, hence the signs that read "EVERETT RESIDENTS ONLY, ID REQUIRED." Last week I emailed the Council and BOA and a few of them responded to me. I spoke with Rosa DiFlorio and she reassured me that the Rec was staying and nothing was changing. Now this article appears and low and behold the office is going there. I have been in that building for 7 yrs and there is not one inch available for an office. Are they kicking someone out of their space. Those people run the Rec and all the programs in there. That's not right. The boys and girls club will be open to everyone, so how does a city building be allowed to be used for other kids from other cities? I feel like I've be duped.....

My head is spinning over this. Last week I felt reassured that the Rec was all set. I was even told that the Boys & Girls Club was going in at the old high school. But now the Rec and Boys and Girls Club are in the same sentence. It seems like bull**** to me. Any parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends who have ever taken a child to the toddler program know it is a fantastic program. I feel that those programs are in jeopardy. Please call or email the Council and BOA. You can find them on cityofeverett.com.

Thank You for your help....

I'm sorry......I just thought the Rec Center would be a good place because the Boy's and Girls Club are ages 13-18 and with the High School right there.

I still would like to know what changed from it going into the field house and I re-watched the meeting last week and the mayor made "reference' to selling the Rec Center. He didn't say he was doing it, but made a general comment. I cant see how he could do that anyway. I will look into it more and I will contact the city council on this to. There will be some cost to the taxpayers and I would like to know what that is. I'm not against this, but maybe the elderly could be exempt, something to work on. I did not know that this was a sure in, I thought the council would have all met together and work out the logistics....
Go to Top of Page

whatsup

33 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile Send whatsup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Tails,

Last week I was told that the Rec would not be touched. Then I read this article about the office going in there. I spoke with a Councilperson this morning. She reassured me that the Rec is not being affected. She called the Mayor's office and they told her that they need a space for the Boys and girls club to set up to secure the money. They don't even have a building yet. If the city takes back the old high school from the school dept then they will have to maintain it. I was told the school dept has already budgeted for the maintenance on the old high school but the city does not have the funds. So that is why the city doesn't have the building yet. But in the meantime there is no building ready for the boys and girls club. So we get the money and then what????
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  08:12:49 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
COMMUNITY GRANT FORUM - The Community and Economic Development office is holding a meeting Monday to seek additional public comment about the application for federal Community Development Block Grant funding that the city plans to file shortly with the state for next fiscal year. Everett annually applies for the grant money, which must be spent on initiatives to benefit low- and moderate-income residents. The city was awarded $800,000 this fiscal year, and plans to seek the same amount next year. Monday's meeting is a follow-up to an Oct. 14 public session. Community Development director Marzie Galazka said officials will seek feedback on a tentative plan to target next year's funding to the neighborhood bordered by Ferry, Chelsea, Malden, and Union streets. There will also be discussion about how the money would best be spent. The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. at City Hall. -John Laidler
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  12:22:43 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$12.4m in grants puts focus on gang violence
Area gets state aid to keep teenagers away from trouble
By Steven Rosenberg, Globe Staff | November 20, 2008

Last month, with the state facing an emergency fiscal crisis, Governor Deval Patrick cut the state budget more than $1 billion. But Patrick promised he would not cut certain social service programs, and last week the governor kept his word, awarding $12.4 million in grants to combat youth and gang violence - with $550,000 going to Lynn, Beverly, Danvers, Essex, Marblehead, Melrose, Peabody, Saugus, and Swampscott.

In addition, Haverhill will share a $220,000 grant with Methuen. Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Revere, and Winthrop will share $822,000 with Cambridge, Medford, Quincy, and Somerville.

"The governor believes strongly in fighting crime at the street level, finding ways to try to keep teens out of trouble; to create safe spaces for kids to make good decisions," said Terrel Harris, a spokesman for the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. Harris said the state will spend $2 million more on the program than last year. "[Patrick] fought hard to keep this. That's how much he believes in this program."

The program, known as the Senator Charles E. Shannon Community Safety Initiative, began two years ago and now reaches 39 communities throughout the state. The money is spent to help fund city and regional gang units, and also goes to nonprofits and municipal programs to support street workers, jobs programs, antigang awareness, and other outreach programs.

With gangs present in cities such as Lynn, Revere, and Haverhill and spreading to quieter suburbs, a strategic alliance between law enforcement and agencies that work to steer teens away from gangs is the best solution, said Lynn Deputy Police Chief Kenneth Santoro.

"This gives us an opportunity to work directly with the kids - and from a prevention perspective, as opposed to a suppression perspective," said Santoro.

Lynn is set to receive $350,000 - an increase of $95,000 from last year.

Lynn police Sergeant Ed Nardone, who heads the city's gang unit, said at least one of the city's five murders this year was gang-related. Nardone said there were 36 gangs in the city, with more than 1,000 members. Like Lowell, the two main gangs in Lynn are the Bloods and the Crips.

Nardone also praised the increase in funding from the state. "It allows us to continue to partner with agencies within the city, because obviously we recognize that the type of violence that we're seeing in the city is something that we certainly cannot handle alone," he said.

In Lynn, just $67,000 of the grant was spent by the police department last year. Besides helping pay overtime to gang unit officers, the police used funds for a Saturday night recreation program and to fund summer jobs for gang members. The rest of the grant went to nonprofits that used the money to hire street workers, counselors, and other staff who helped gang members receive GED degrees, find work, apply for college, and obtain legal aid.

Eugene Schneeberg, Lynn's director of operations for Straight Ahead Ministries - which received more than $100,000 last year from the grant - said Lynn's gang members need role models. "A lot of these kids have had very little positive interaction with adults only, and when they do they're hungry for it, they're open to it, and they want to make a change," he said. "They don't want to live in a violent community. They don't want to be unemployed; they don't want to be out of school."

Out of the $12.4 million grant, more than $1 million is being administered by the Metropolitan Area Planning Council. Joel Barrera, deputy director of the council, said his organization helped draft the legislation that led to the establishment of the grant. Barrera said the grant is based on national research that shows law enforcement and social service organizations should work together in combating youth violence.

"It's based on a national model that says you have to have a comprehensive approach," said Barrera.

Barrera said the two grants are set up similarly but administered separately. Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Revere, Winthrop, Cambridge, Medford, Quincy, and Somerville use the money to pay for gang police officers and for social service programs. The cities have established a regional gang task force that meets weekly, and shares information on area gangs. Also, the gang force meets in "hot spots" in different cities each week where youth violence could occur.

Last year, Salem, Beverly, Danvers, Essex, Marblehead, Melrose, Peabody, Saugus, and Swampscott also established a regional gang task force, and more than $150,000 was spent on overtime for those officers.

Steven Rosenberg can be reached at srosenberg@globe.com.

© Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  07:21:05 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although this is an NECN story, it appears Mayor DeMaria is against the toll hike to $7.00. I just hope this does not die because this will be awful for Everett, especially commuting residents. Everett needs to get involved with the state over this and let it be known it's not acceptable.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

arthur

212 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  06:33:12 AM  Show Profile Send arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
60 firefighters battle fire at Brighton restaurant

By O’Ryan Johnson | Saturday, November 29, 2008 | You must be logged in to see this link. | Local Coverage

Photo by Mark Garfinkel
Sixty Boston firefighters struggled against a collapsing, double-rubber roof to battle a stubborn two-alarm blaze that sparked early yesterday morning in Allston, causing $300,000 in damage but no injuries at a Brazilian restaurant, fire officials said.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the alarm at Cafe Belo on Brighton Avenue sounded at about 4 a.m. He said jakes spotted a fire crawling up the rear of the building and then into the ceiling. The job got harder as firefighers began tearing open the roof, which was double-layered in rubber. MacDonald said the blaze soon began licking away at the roof’s trusses and support walls began cracking.

MacDonald said it took 60 firefighters about an hour to extinguish the blaze.

NOW THIS SOUNDS FUNNY DOESN'T IT SINCE IT'S MOVING INTO THE BON TOMORROW
Go to Top of Page

arthur

212 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  06:34:29 AM  Show Profile Send arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERETT
Stadium project boosted
State approves $500,000 grant
By John Laidler, Globe Correspondent | November 30, 2008

Everett's plans to refurbish its athletic stadium received a major boost last week when the state awarded $500,000 for the project.

Ian Bowles, state Energy and Environmental Affairs secretary, announced the award during a visit to Everett Memorial Stadium on Nov. 21, where he was joined by city officials and Everett's state legislators.

The grant was among 20 totaling $7.4 million the state agency awarded that day for fiscal 2009 under its Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities program.

In this region, Chelsea, Lynn, Newburyport, Peabody, and Salem also received funding under the program, which helps cities and towns buy land, and build and renovate parks, athletic fields, and other outdoor recreational spaces.

"The Commonwealth is pleased to partner with the city of Everett on a project that will enhance recreational opportunities for the city's youth for years to come," Bowles said in a statement issued by his office.

He said that the stadium, located in an urban area close to two MBTA bus routes, is a "prime example" of Governor Deval Patrick following through on a pledge to revitalize city neighborhoods through investments in urban parks and open-space conservation.

The 5.6-acre Everett Memorial Stadium, located on Revere Beach Parkway, is the home field for the high school's Crimson Tide football team, a powerhouse that has made the Greater Boston League championships the last 14 years, and won the Division One Super Bowl seven of the last 10 years.

Everett's youth soccer and football programs and the Special Olympics also make use of the field on a limited basis.

The project calls for upgrading the existing natural field to synthetic turf. If enough funding remains, it would also provide for adding and rehabilitating bleachers, and improving the field house restrooms.

Mayor Carlo DeMaria, in a prepared statement, said the funding would provide the high school football team "with a stadium that is reflective of its long history of success. More importantly, these enhancements will provide other scholastic teams, local youth sports organizations, and residents with a premier recreational space that can be enjoyed by Everett citizens for years to come."

DeMaria credited the city's legislators, state Senator Anthony Galluccio of Cambridge and Representative Stephen "Stat" Smith of Everett for their help in securing the grant. All three joined Bowles in speaking at last Friday's event, held in one of the stadium end zones.

Marzie Galazka, community development director, said that the project is estimated to cost approximately $1.3 million. The state is committed to covering 62 percent, but no more than $500,000. As a result, if the project ends up costing the projected $1.3 million, Everett would be responsible for the other $800,000.

"The mayor is committed to the project and he will find the necessary funding," Galazka said of DeMaria. She said the city will explore other state or federal grant opportunities, and possible funding from the business community, to reduce the amount of city funds that would be needed. Any city expenditure would require City Council approval.

In its application for state funds, the city requested $500,000 to be used either for improvements to Sacramone Park, located off Santilli Highway and Tileston Street, or for the stadium. Galazka said the state opted to award money for the stadium project.

"Everett is so densely populated and our parks are so heavily used that any time we have an opportunity to utilize grants for rehabilitating them it's a tremendous opportunity," Galazka said.

She said the award is particularly gratifying because this marks the first time in the last decade that the city was eligible for funding under the program. The state had suspended the city's eligibility while Everett worked to replace parkland that lost when it built the new high school on the terraces of Glendale Park. The city met that requirement last year when it completed construction of the third of three parks.

Frederick Foresteire, school superintendent, said the school district is thrilled with the state grant, noting that the project would allow much greater use of the field.

To protect the stadium's natural-grass field for its primary user - the high school football teams - Foresteire said the city now has to restrict use of the facility by other sports programs during any kind of inclement weather. As a result, other sports groups, including the school's field hockey team and youth soccer and football programs, have only limited access to the field.

With synthetic turf, Foresteire said, the limitations posed by weather would no longer exist, so that the field could be made available much more readily to those other groups. He said installing synthetic turf would also eliminate the need to apply chalk boundary lines before every game, a labor-saving benefit that would further ease restrictions on field use.

Enabling more teams to practice and play at the stadium would "do a great deal for our youth programs," Foresteire said.

Let the money start exchanging HANDS
Go to Top of Page

jcklla

32 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile Send jcklla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the Cafe Belo fire? Are you saying they will be opening at the Bon Saison ? That is one incredible coincidence if so. The Pantanel that just closed at that location had some connection to owners of Cafe Belo. That's a lot of coincidences.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn’t hear Café Belo was moving into the Bon Saison. We will find out soon enough though. I knew Pantanel was only a matter of time. They were overpriced for today’s economy, but the Café Belo fire just happened. If this is true, I'm sure anything is possible but, that’s too coincidental for me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2