Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 BOSTON GLOBE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  2:29:04 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you on this one. When I first heard Alderman Marchese talking about it, I thought, what a great idea. Now I am having second thoughts. Not that we don't have a great pool from Everett, I am afraid the process could become too political, not just for this administration, I mean for any administration.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  6:43:14 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been inclined to favor things that limit the possibility of getting the very best........... of anything.

When the qualifications of two applicants are equal, then preference should always be given to a resident. However, I think that's where it should end. We may have a great pool right now but that can change dramatically in a very short period of time. I don't see limiting our options as being a good thing for anyone except perhaps the people who can't get hired elsewhere. They can all come here and be all but guaranteed employment while our safety is put on the line.

Obviously, I'm hoping the mayor, council, and alderman take a long, hard look at how harmful this can be.
Go to Top of Page

arthur

212 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  06:18:47 AM  Show Profile Send arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett school chief accused again
Panel says he used system's resources
By Erin Ailworth, Globe Staff | March 19, 2008

Everett's school superintendent is once again facing allegations that he used school system supplies and employees to make home improvements.

In a complaint filed Friday, the State Ethics Commission accused Frederick Foresteire of using one school employee to do discounted plumbing work at his home and two other employees to obtain, cut, and deliver $234 worth of plywood for free. The work took place sometime from April to November 2002 and often happened during school hours, the commission alleged.

If it is decided that he violated the state's conflict-of-interest law, Foresteire could be fined up to $2,000 per violation.

In 1992, Foresteire agreed to pay a $250 fine to the Ethics Commission to settle allegations that he arranged for a School Department painter to paint a School Committee member's apartment for free.

In 2004, Foresteire faced criminal charges that he used two school air conditioners in his home. In 2006, a Middlesex Superior Court judge continued the case without a finding while ordering Foresteire to pay $2,090 in court fees and placing him on probation for a year.

Foresteire's lawyer, David Berman, said his client denies the latest allegations, which first were brought up in conjunction with the air conditioner case.

"I don't want to accuse anyone of hounding my client, but I think the facts more or less speak for themselves," Berman said yesterday in a telephone interview.

Berman said the employee who allegedly did the plumbing work, Michael Pomer, and his father had done plumbing for Foresteire and his family for 30 or 40 years. Berman said he did not think Pomer had done the work on school time.

As for the plywood, Berman said he suspects the supplies were ordered by Foresteire's former brother-in-law, Louis Grande, who was a contractor who did work for the school district and mistakenly sent them to the school.

"He probably called and said: 'Hey, that stuff shouldn't be there. Get that over to Mr. Foresteire's house,' " Berman said.

Berman said he would also argue that the statute of limitations of three years had expired.

The accusations against Foresteire drew mixed reactions in the community yesterday.

"To my knowledge, all of that has been cleared up," said School Committee member Richard Baniewicz.

Everett parent Maureen Hart said she remembers the air conditioner hubbub a few years back.

"It was disappointing to think that someone would use their power like that," she said. "I don't doubt that he's a little bit shady."

Erin Ailworth can be reached at eailworth@globe.com.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  10:07:00 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Boston Herald

Everett school boss again faces ethics complaints
By Colneth Smiley Jr.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - Updated 10h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(2) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

A beleaguered Everett school superintendent - who just got off probation for allegedly taking two school air conditioners home - is facing new charges he used his employees to perform improvements on his house.

Frederick Foresteire yesterday was accused of violating the commonwealth’s conflict-of-interest law when he allegedly had $234 worth of plywood intended for the school cut and delivered instead to his home by public school employees in October 2002, according to the State Ethics Commission.

The next month, the commission alleges, Foresteire had an Everett school maintenance worker fix his house’s plumbing at a $1,100 discount.

But Foresteire’s attorney, David Berman, denied that accusation yesterday, saying the plumber “was always paid more than the going rate for his services.” Berman also insisted the plumber “took vacation time when he performed those services.”

Berman said Foresteire denied knowing anything about how the school plywood got sent to his home.

“We . . . expect to be completely vindicated,” Berman said.

Foresteire was indicted in 2004 by then-Attorney General Tom Reilly for allegedly taking home a pair of air conditioners meant for Everett school buildings. The case was continued without a finding two years later, and Foresteire was placed on probation and ordered to pay $2,000 in court fees.

Foresteire was fined $250 by the ethics commission in 1992 for having a school employee paint the apartment of a school committee member for free.

The new ethics commission charges carry potential civil penalties of up to $2,000 each.
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  10:42:25 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all know what he is like and he will continue to get away with it. I am not worrying about it anymore since it seesm to be okay for him to do whatever he wants to. He should be crowned King of Everett as far as I am concerned. Our schools are in very bad shape. I want to concentrate on ways in which we can improve them before they come in and take us over like they did in Chelsea.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:39:53 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that fast freddy should have been shown the door but it should have happened in the 90's. It happened so long ago that I doubt anything can be done about it today. I am not happy with the condition of the schools and the weapons being brought in. They should be filing a complaint about that. The schools do not feel safe to me. The school committee and the schools are flying on a down hill slope and someone must be over the school committee. I know city hall always says they don't have jurisdiction but someone has to be over them and take control.

As for the State's Ethics Commission, they need to take a look at out Veteran's Service Office because according to "them" that office in not legal and this is going on right now.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:40:44 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm less concerned about who is fixing his bathroom (as long is it is not while the worker is on city time) and more concerned about the quality of education. The discussion we have should be about MCAS scores, curriculum, graduation rates, college acceptance rates, overcrowding , bullying and increased parent involvement
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails...just wondering, have you heard of a veteran that is not getting the same high quality service that did a couple months ago from that department? I here that department is working well without Mr Rice.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  12:41:35 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not heard that anyone was refused disbursements but that is not the issue. It makes a big difference to someone that they have a full time veterans commissioner that they can go to. Veterans are very proud. Mr. Rice did nothing wrong and when he first went in office, there were 20 veterans. Mr. Rice turned the office around and there are now 90 and if your going to start about taxes you know it's 75% state refundable.

Below is my problem along with unethical behavior from the Mayor to a man of impeccable integrity and the Mayor's lack of knowledge on these important issues. If I can so easily find this, then he can too. He's the Mayor and his actions toward this entire issue has been terrible. It couldn't be more obvious that he just does not care about it or the what the citizens are saying. Like I said, if I can find this so easily, he could have too, but most important to Walter was keeping their identities in the VSO and not out. If anyone was to be given that list, it should have been the NEW VSO. (But there wasn't one) He fired Mr. Rice because Mr. Rice would not give him the list of names that by law, he did not have too. He fired Mr. Rice knowing perfectly well that man just returned from a vacation and was going to have additional bills. "I" could not feel good about myself everyday firing someone that has done so much for the vets/community the "way" it was done. The Mayor did this with no plan. Maybe bills are not a problem for him and thats why he finds this behavior acceptable, but it's not, and people are not going to forget.

Requirements of St. 1972, c. 471 for Full-time Veterans’ Agents

Notwithstanding any provision of the law to the contrary, any city or town having a population over 12,000
and having a part-time veterans’ agent or part-time director or veterans’ services shall, at the end of term of
such agent or director, whether by resignation, retirement or otherwise, either join a veterans’ service district in
manner provided by M.G.L. c. 115 § 10, or appoint a full-time veterans’ agent or director of veterans’ services.
These provisions shall not apply to any city or town so long as the incumbent of the office of part-time veterans’
agent or part-time director of veterans’ services holds such office by reappointment.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  1:24:34 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so.....it's OK to fire the people you want fired, but not the ones you like? Judging by what I have heard and read, the outburst by Mr Rice upon his dismissal wasn't something rare for him. He may have done his job well but he may also have been difficult to work with.....which takes us back to the fact that his job was subject to the political ebb and flow of the Everett political tide. The office is being run soundly without him. The Mayor is searching for a replacement....and much to your dismay, you don't have a say in the matter.

Can we atleast agree that ANYONE taking a politically appointed position should do so knowing they may lose their job when their Mayor is no longer serving? I will take your word for it that he did a good job. A move from 20 to 90 Veterans is huge jump. I'm not sure we can attribute that jump solely to the hard work and dedication of Mr Rice. In the past 2 years, more State and Federal programs have been made available to Veterans. Economic downturn over the past few years has probably resulted in more proud Veterans reaching out for assistance than they have in the past. So, before we start scheduling the canonization ceremony for Mr Rice lets keep in mind he did the job he was paid to do.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  1:55:30 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can spin my response anyway you want, that's my response, and the Mayor should have started his "search" a long time ago. Like I said, it's obvious he did not have that office best interest in mind and far as State and Federal funding and programs...again...thank Walter for that. The state just didn't come in and say "here ya go" that was Walter's dedication and hard work. Sure, he was paid for the position but he worked long hours and dedicated a lot of personal time to the cause. I would have no problem if the Mayor wanted to replace him and get another qualified individual and said " I'm letting you go Walter on the Mayor's discretion, ( AND I'M LETTING YOU KNOW BEFORE YOUR VACATION) I'm having my own person run the office" Did he do that? No he didn't...and now your bringing up nonsense about an outburst? If I was treated the way he was, I would have an outburst too. Cant the Mayor come up with something better than that....
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  2:06:03 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the Mayor's first response was to call you for your opinion......you must not have been available
Go to Top of Page

wanda bee

54 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send wanda bee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,
You sound a little to close to the source. Are you Walter?
I know the Mayor does everything within the law.
So check your facts again!
You sound like sour grapes, get over it and get on with your life. The Mayor had no intension of letting you go, but you harassed him and his staff to no end and you were very verbably abusive as well!
So again get on with your life and leave the past in the past.
You did a good (not perfect) job, go and enjoy your golf game.
Stop trying to ruin the Mayors reputation and your own as well.
The same way you are acting on this blog is the same reason you do not have your job any longer. You need to let things go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanda you could not be more wrong. I don't even know Walter and for your information, I know Carlo, and I supported him. All you do is come on here and accuse people of being somebody. It's very childish. I state facts and issues that are going on. Well, I think justwondering is Erin Deveney because they use the same exact wording as her so thanks for confirming that to me. Ms. Deveney makes more than the Mayor and has a much more vested interest in this.
Go to Top of Page

wanda bee

54 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  3:42:40 PM  Show Profile Send wanda bee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your facts, not the truth!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2