Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Charter Review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:11:12 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks charter review is becoming a reality; I can't imagine that the governor would not sign the bill.

You must be logged in to see this link.

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:15:28 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the governor signs this, does that mean it will be on the ballot in November?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:21:56 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that it should be. And I should have posted it that way in my first post. It still has to pass that vote in order for it to really occur. But, at least now, we'll be able to see what the people of the city really want. Should be fascinating.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:27:17 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good....I hope that means move people will get out there and vote this November. Then the people will really be heard.

"blatantly, gone are the days"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:31:08 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it have to go to a vote of our city council before it makes it to the ballot? Do you think the Common Council will be in favor of Charter Reform?

Something I would like to see added to our charter is "Recall" for any elected official in our city.

Edited by - massdee on 01/07/2009 09:39:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure of what the procedure is from this point forward. Just a guess, but, since the piece was approved by both the BOA and CC to request the home rule petition, I can't see why it would need to go back before them. After the home rule petition that changed the charter so that you can't run for more than one city office at a time was approved by the state, it didn't come back before the city council.

This could be different though. What needs to appear on the ballot is both the question of whether or not you are in favor of charter review and the election of the committee. Seems strange that you are electing a committee before you approve the question but that's the way its done. Otherwise, you'd have to wait two more years for the next election. (I suppose you could hold a special election but it's never be talked about that way.) The city charter contains a number of ways to get a question on the ballot, one of which is by a vote of the city council. Without the question on the ballot, the election of the committee makes no sense. So maybe we are not out of the woods yet on this one.

In case anyone is wondering, the election of the committee had to go to the state for approval because there is nothing contained in the charter that allows for the election of such a committee.
Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:15:22 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Charter Review issue does not have to go back to the City Council. In fact they are out of the loop from this point on because it could be a conflict of interests. The nomination papers for the Commissioners will be available this spring at the same time as the Elected Officials. You will need either 50 or 100 signatures (I forget which) to be placed on the ballot. The top 9 vote getters are elected to the Commission, providing that the Charter Review question passes. I'm sure more information will be available in the newspapers and the City Clerks office after the Governor signs the Bill. Kudos to Councilman Napolitano for hanging in there.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  1:06:23 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Joe Hickey also work very hard on the Charter Reform? I'd say kudos to him, too.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  2:15:37 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jim Keane put this on the agenda on October 22, 2007 to form a charter review to be put on the ballot in November 09.

Then on May 5, 2008, Lorrie Bruno, Stacy Caralis, Rosa DiFlorio, Joseph Hickey, Rosemary Miller, Peter Napolitano, Cynthia Sarnie and Aldermen Frank Nuzzo, Sal Sachetta and Robert Van Campen all sponsored a piece for a joint convention to be held within 45 days to invite State Representative Stat Smith on the status.

December 1, 2008 Peter did put on a piece to invite Stat in January to give the people an update.

Thanks for today's update Tetris, it seems like this is taking forever but appears progress is moving along.

Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize. I did not mean to take anything away from Joe Hickey or Jimmy Keane. There have been numerous people who have worked to make this come about. Let me clarify why I mention Councilman Napolitano. I worked with him starting in 1991 with a small committee of concerned Everett citizens started by Napolitano, former Councilman Nick Saia, now Officer Pat Johnston, and many others to start the research on how to bring this about. Over the years, the powers that be have worn down many of the supporters and side-tracked progress. Council Napolitano never let go and brought the issue to the City Council in 2000 and since that time has taken a lot of grief from past administrations, the newspapers and many of the City Councilors. I do not want to take anything away for last comer supporters, but he kept the issue alive. I can’t speak for him, but I’m sure he’ll tell you that it was a group effort. Either way, the voters will finally have their say in November. Let’s see what they were all afraid of. Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  8:28:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but everything takes too long and drags out with him. He was battling Wood Waste for 10 years and got nowhere. Steve Simonelli had one little outburst, and that is the reason why Wood Waste's feet are finally being held to the fire. Then he tried to make his brother council look a fool, and that certainly backfired.

Charter Review, I would say, was a joint effort. I'm curious as to "what powers that be" can hold something up for 18 years? I just think if you really believe in something, whether you’re on the council or not, you push your ward Alderman/Councilor's to bring these issues to the floor and not just say “Well…I wasn’t in office”

Go to Top of Page

Ellen

173 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  10:05:59 PM  Show Profile Send Ellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope the voters are smart enough to pass this. This city really needs it.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  08:11:40 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can the rules that the City Council follow be changed without going through a charter reform? I would like to see input from the general public allowed at the meetings. I realize there would have to be some control or a time restraint in place but I think it would be helpful for our elected officials to hear from the citizens before they vote on some issues. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  3:54:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a good state website about charter review and also what other cities and towns have adopted.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:48:20 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was glad the discussion was allowed and I liked what I heard. This is long overdue and will be interesting on the ballot. Hopefully tomorrows paper can give a little more insight for the residents.

Go to Top of Page

Wildfire132

31 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile Send Wildfire132 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that the Advocate printed more than just Napoltano's letter. And I said it earlier that Napolitano wouldn't take sole credit. He's just not like that. Well on to reviewing the City Charter. It should be interesting to see who comes out to run for the Commission. Can elected officials also run? Doesn't seem right somehow with them having a vested interest in the status quo.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2