Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 We are losing police
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  12:19:25 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has come to my attention that as of yesterday we are losing police from our department all the captains were demoted to lt's and lt's to sgt. and so forth. the mayor contact the chief ( whether true or not) and said to save the everett people and let the others go. If true I can see a law suit opening up for this city. It's time for people to run even if you don't win just throw your name in and take the votes away from demaria.

Police should be the last to go, cut the fat out of city hall.

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  08:33:20 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed!

The fat in city hall should be going first. Write to the papers and tell them your discontent with this decision for the safety of the residents.

If the papers wont listen, start a petition, and put that on the petition that the papers are only printing propaganda. You might be able to do an online petition, but real signatures are better. I would sign it for our fire and police.

DeMaria talks about in order to "save Everett people" well.........look at his hires that are not from Everett. He's sacrificing our safety for favors and high paying friends jobs.

Edited by - Tails on 04/01/2009 08:49:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  11:31:04 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the idea tails I will draw up petitions and put in the square and every store that understands english, someone has to do something, this mayor bites out loud and he wants to be mayor for a long time, yeah, right the people are now smarter than him.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  11:41:42 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think if any police or fire got involved, more people would pay attention. These officers should not fear doing something like that, they are defending their brothers and sisters that put their lives on the line, everyday and that do not deserve this. There are other creative ways.
Go to Top of Page

everett42

3 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  3:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send everett42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fire is reportedly loosing 16 positions and untold number of demotions. The Safety of Everett is at serious risk at this point.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  4:11:25 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much money would be saved if the mayor laid off the two part time employees in his office? Could that save at least one fire department position?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  6:20:28 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I heard it, these demotions are because the union(s) wouldn't concede anything to help the city's bottom line. I agree we don't want to lose anyone in public safety but something has to give and it can't just be on the taxpayers.

Edited by - justme on 04/01/2009 6:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that the unions can bend more and should to save jobs, I just feel there should be other places to look first, before safety gets hit.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  04:52:04 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have there been terminations?
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  05:21:23 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they are coming down on May 1
Go to Top of Page

everett42

3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:15:33 AM  Show Profile Send everett42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
with a million dollar cut from each public safety agency, concession from the unions or not, layoffs/demotions would still decimate both departments, regardless of the spin you put on it.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A million dollar cut from both the fire and police sounds outrageous.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:41:00 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But it is true, and I feel for all the citizens of Everett.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who was it that decided that one million dollars needs to be cut from the fire, and one million from the police? Can other things be done to save jobs, like cut out overtime (at least someone would have a job) or reduce hours across the board.

I just want to know was EVERY option put out there to avoid layoffs. We had 11 million dollars in free cash in January 2008. Does anyone know if there is any left from what was appropriated for FY/2009? Would it be feasible to use free cash for something like this?

I'm not blaming anyone because the economy is "what it is" but we all knew this was coming down the pike so maybe we should have held off on things like..............matching a stadium grant from Ian Bowles at EOEA until the city was in a better financial situation.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:01:09 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did the date and million dollar figure (for each department) come from?
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  12:49:18 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea where everett42 is getting 1 million unless it's 500K for each department

get rid of the dog officer she does nothing she hangs down the 7 acres park and watches all the dogs plays she takes her mother shopping in the city truck, against the law (god forbid she gets into an accident) that will be a savings of her salary of 33.5 a year. Get rid of the fat in city hall but I was told they ( alderman and council can't touch the mayors budget) that is not fair, Oh I forgot carlo is going to be a dad again so he needs more money. Paul Kelly is the only one with money in this city make him share with other department 3 cars for what I don't get that one, the police should be using those cars at nite saving on gas lets face the price of gas is going up.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2