Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 We are losing police
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

everett42

3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send everett42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As stated. a million from EACH department.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by everett42

As stated. a million from EACH department.

Do you know who it was that decided on that amount from each department? Was it the city....or the state?
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michael

I have no idea where everett42 is getting 1 million unless it's 500K for each department

get rid of the dog officer she does nothing she hangs down the 7 acres park and watches all the dogs plays she takes her mother shopping in the city truck, against the law (god forbid she gets into an accident) that will be a savings of her salary of 33.5 a year. Get rid of the fat in city hall but I was told they ( alderman and council can't touch the mayors budget) that is not fair, Oh I forgot carlo is going to be a dad again so he needs more money. Paul Kelly is the only one with money in this city make him share with other department 3 cars for what I don't get that one, the police should be using those cars at nite saving on gas lets face the price of gas is going up.

He doesn't have to share............. The meter money paid for those cars and it can only be used by that department But .......... the money from the tickets that his people write helps all of us.

Why should the police department use the cars? They're too busy (or is it lazy?) to write parking tickets. It's apparently beneath them to do such trivial things........
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  9:58:36 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

Who was it that decided that one million dollars needs to be cut from the fire, and one million from the police? Can other things be done to save jobs, like cut out overtime (at least someone would have a job) or reduce hours across the board.

I just want to know was EVERY option put out there to avoid layoffs. We had 11 million dollars in free cash in January 2008. Does anyone know if there is any left from what was appropriated for FY/2009? Would it be feasible to use free cash for something like this?

I'm not blaming anyone because the economy is "what it is" but we all knew this was coming down the pike so maybe we should have held off on things like..............matching a stadium grant from Ian Bowles at EOEA until the city was in a better financial situation.

Tails,

Sorry that I didn't get to this earlier but I didn't have the time today and I needed to do some research as well. I have to disagree with your free cash information. In October 2007, it was announced that the city had $11.6 million in free cash. During all of FY08, the city used $8,904,374.40 of that free cash. After Mayor DeMaria took office, there was only $2,943,180.40 transferred from free cash. Of that, $843,180.40 was used to advance the school department Medicaid reimbursement money that the city would get back when the actual funds were received. So, there were actually only two real transfers from free cash during FY08 by the Demaria administration. They were $2 million to the FY09 Tax Levy and $100,000 to the FY09 After School program.

In October of 2008, the free cash amount was announced at $5.6 million. So far in FY09, the city has only used $384,200 of that amount. That money has been used for the Ferry/Chelsea Street light, the Parlin library stairs, the employee buyback program and veteran's benefits. So there's approximately $5.2 million left in free cash.

So could free cash be used to stop some of this? Sure. But what you really need to do is to figure out the best way to use what free cash you have left. For example, if they are able to offset all of the revenue cuts and the budget increases that they have less control over, the remainder of the budget was flat and nothing gets transferred to next year's taxy levy, taxes would still go up.

Lots of tough choices ahead.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that!

I agree, touch choices ahead, I just hope the "right choices" are done, and looked into.
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  05:22:49 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justme I understand he doesn't have to share with the departments but wouldn't it be nice to save police jobs
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its all wrong. Carlos friend in code enforcement wanted insurance and the union told him he had to bid the job so Carlo hired her in his office and she dont speak english. Heres a cherry sheet from this website You must be logged in to see this link. transfers are all underhanded. Your only allowed to overexpend snow & ice. GTA has one contract with the city for 150000.00 they made 3X that much and we are letting go of police.

Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  11:28:36 AM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Monday night, April 6, I understand that one of the subjects to be discussed at the Common Council meeting is the layoffs & demotions to the Police & Fire Departments. Please try to get as many residents as possible to attend this meeting. The Police dept's detective's unit is already understaffed and will be cut even more come May 1'st. With the economy the way it is, there is more crime (i.e. break-ins, robbery, domestic disputes, etc.) that we have seen in years. In order to get the "bad guys" put away it takes many hours of detective work. They will not have the manpower to follow up on these cases unless working 7 days a week for 24 hours/day. I believe that the City should be able to look into some of the programs that they have that can be cut from the budget for the time being until we are in more control. We also need the patrols all over the city. With summer comes gangs & crime. We need all the officers we can get. PLEASE, bring friends to the Monday night meeting and give the support to our Men & Women in both the Police & Fire Dept's. I think that the Mayor has to open his eyes and see that there are more serious problems in this City that tree planing & photo-ops. If you would all attend the Crime Prevention Meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of each month you would see that there is crime and how they are dealing with it now, but what we are about to lose. I look forward to seeing the chambers full. Thank you all in advance.

from toxpix hope all can support our police and fire
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  1:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not on the agenda.

I hope the mayors not going to make ANY type of announcement and not notify people..........this is too important, and I know people will want to be there.

I also know he does NOT want people there.......because it's not good "PR" for him.

If he does that, then he is making this out to be all about HIM, not the fire, police and the safety of the residents.
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  1:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20. C0056-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Mayor look into effecting 5% or 5-year buy back that would avoid layoffs for all city employees including public safety with the total numbers of employees throughout the City. This would have to be fast-tracked so that we could meet the fiscal year monetary task of cutting or laying off employees citywide.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  2:51:04 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope he does it, and you are absolutely right, people need to be in the chamber and let them know this is unacceptable. We have the summer coming, crime is at a DRAMATIC rise, and as I said before, he needs to look in his own back yard.

I know he hired the woman from code enforcement so he can give her health insurance. She worked his campaign. He robs Peter to pay Paul all the time when it's convenient for him.

Now.........do I trust Leo McKinnon with this piece? I just don't know....He's never really stood up to the mayor (not publicly anyway) with all the "questionable" stuff that's been going on.

I urge everyone to stand up for our fire and police and be there and back them.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

justme I understand he doesn't have to share with the departments but wouldn't it be nice to save police jobs

Come on Michael, let's be realistic. Forgetting the fact that the money that purchased those vehicles is to be used exclusively for & by parking enforcement, do you really think any of our police officers are going to get into one of those toys? And, if they did, what happens if they have to respond to an emergency? The extra 5 minutes it will take them to arrive can certainly make a big difference.......... They're small and fuel efficient but they're certainly impractical as police vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That the Mayor look into effecting 5% or 5-year buy back that would avoid layoffs for all city employees including public safety with the total numbers of employees throughout the City. This would have to be fast-tracked so that we could meet the fiscal year monetary task of cutting or laying off employees citywide.

Would you explain this please? What is a 5% or 5 year buy back?
Go to Top of Page

scamore

105 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:59:34 PM  Show Profile Send scamore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that is for 2010 budget I don't understand it either we should as mckinnon this is something they do with state employees
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  11:47:28 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

quote:

Would you explain this please? What is a 5% or 5 year buy back?

I don't have a clue what he is talking about either.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2