Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Who's Running
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard any names yet?

I saw Wayne Matewsky not too long ago and he told me he was going to run for Common Council in Ward 1.

Edited by - massdee on 12/03/2010 3:47:00 PM

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  2:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’ll tell you what I have heard about “running” in 2011 so far. There are two people running against Chuck DiPerri in ward four and two people running against Robert Van Campen in ward five. I’ll tell you that nothing surprises me there.

Dominic Puleo is apparently going to jump in the race again since someone had a “Puleo 2011” sign at the parade. He got killed in the last election, even with that farce of a mailing…. (Paid for by supporters of Mayor DeMaria). I know for a fact there were a few people that contribute money to Carlo that were not pleased about “their money” going to mailings for an alderman’s race.

Even Stephen Simonelli almost pulled it off, not loosing by much in Carlo’s own ward. I say that because that mailing never should have went out. Never in the history of Everett has any mayor got so personally involved with trying to stack a board with his own people. I think 2011 is going to a very interesting race and I can only hope that people wake up and see what’s going on. Believe me, the state will be watching the elections in Everett with bifocals on.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  3:56:28 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard a couple of non political names that might be running for mayor, one an Everett businessman, the other a city employee. It certainly sounds like we might have the makings of a very interesting campaign season.

Someone also told me that Steve Simonelli might be making another run too. For which seat, I don't know.

Edited by - massdee on 12/03/2010 3:59:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  11:28:39 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot, word on the street is, Peter Napolitano is running for mayor.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Wayne Matewsky at McGonagle's Holiday Party and he reaffirmed he is running for Common Council, Ward 1.

If Peter Napolitano is running for Mayor then there will be an open Council seat in Ward 1.

I also heard DJ Napolitano is thinking about running for Alderman at Large, as well as Domenic Puleo. They are both supporters of the mayor.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  9:39:12 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are both rumor but I was told Joanne Gregory is also thinking of running for Alderman at Large.

I also heard Mike Marchese is thinking about running for the State Senate next time around. If Mike runs and splits the Everett vote, Sal will be in trouble and a third person could easily win.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In roundup of mayoral races, Peabody opening stirs interest.

Peabody Mayor Michael J. Bonfanti said he was out. Gloucester Mayor Carolyn Kirk said she was in.

Last week’s announcements, by Bonfanti that he would not seek a sixth term as Peabody’s mayor, and by Kirk that she plans to run for a third term in Gloucester, combined to sound an opening bell to mayoral elections in the region.

The two are not the only area mayors formulating their political plans.

Malden Mayor Richard C. Howard in November announced he would not seek reelection next fall, while Revere Mayor Thomas G. Ambrosino has reaffirmed a previous decision not to seek another term.

In interviews last week, mayors Thatcher W. Kezer of Amesbury, William F. Scanlon Jr. of Beverly, Carlo DeMaria Jr. of Everett, Michael J. McGlynn of Medford, Robert J. Dolan of Melrose, Donna D. Holaday of Newburyport, and Scott D. Galvin of Woburn all said they plan to seek reelection, while a representative of Somerville Mayor Joseph
Curtatone said he plans to seek another term.

Haverhill Mayor James J. Fiorentini said he has not yet decided whether he will run again, while Methuen Mayor William M. Manzi III is barred from a reelection bid by his city’s term limits.

Mayors William Lantigua of Lawrence, Judith Flanagan Kennedy of Lynn, and Kimberley L. Driscoll of Salem are in the middle of four-year terms.

Kirk disclosed her electoral plans in a statement she released last Sunday.
“Next fiscal year, the city of Gloucester’s operational revenues and expenses will top $100 million. My management team has proven that we have the professionalism, experience, and judgment necessary for good and responsible government. Gloucester today is a well-managed city,’’ she said in the prepared statement.

“People had been asking me if I was going to run again, and I wanted to eliminate any doubt or speculation,’’ Kirk said in an interview on her decision to issue the statement.

Last month, Kirk gave up her mayoral authority for 10 days while she received treatment for hypertension. But she said last week, “My condition is 100 percent treatable, and I have the proper treatment plan and it’s under control. I feel good.’’

Bonfanti made his surprise announcement at the close of his midterm address Monday in Peabody. In a later interview, he said the decision was the result of “a whole bunch of factors. When you add them all up, it’s the right time.’’

As a result, Peabody will have its first race for mayor without an incumbent since Bonfanti was first elected in 2001 to succeed Peter Torigian, who did not seek reelection after serving as mayor for 23 years.
Councilor at Large Edward Bettencourt Jr. became the first contestant out of the gate when he announced Tuesday that he was running.

“Peabody has many things to be proud of, but there are problems that must be addressed and improvements which need to be made,’’ said Bettencourt, a lawyer. He said he offered “the experience, energy, commitment, and drive to move Peabody forward.’’

Bettencourt said he had made up his mind to run for mayor regardless of what Bonfanti did, but wanted to hold off on an announcement until after the mayor had a chance to disclose his plans.

“The history of the city shows that it’s difficult to defeat an incumbent mayor. It would certainly have been a challenge to do that. But with the race wide open and no incumbent, it will be a different kind of race,’’ he said.

A number of other Peabody public figures have been mentioned as potential contenders, including Councilor at Large David C. Gravel; Sean Fitzgerald, a former chief of staff to Bonfanti and currently town manager in Plaistow, N.H.; School Committee member Beverly Griffin Dunne; state Representative Joyce Spiliotis; and Ward 6 Councilor Barry C. Sinewitz.

Gravel, a former School Committee member who owns a consulting business, said he plans to consider entering the mayor’s race.

“It’s not a decision I would take lightly. For me, as the owner of a business, it would be a life shift,’’ he said. “So I take those types of considerations very seriously.’’

Fitzgerald said last week that he will also consider the race.

“My hometown has always been great to me and my family, and I care an awful lot about the condition of the city of Peabody, so I can’t help but think about the position,’’ he said. “I’ll be talking to my family and close friends over the next couple of weeks. I’ll also be reaching out and talking to a couple of local officials, including the mayor . . . to get some thoughts on whether this would be the right time’’ to launch a campaign for office.

Dunne, a lawyer, said she had seriously considered running for mayor two years ago, “and some day perhaps I will run.’’ However, she said, she does not intend to be a candidate for mayor this year.
Spiliotis also said she will not be entering the race.

“I’m happy with the job I have now. I’m just not interested this time in running for mayor,’’ she said.

Sinewitz, who owns Thriftco Printing on Howley Street in Peabody, said he is considering entering the mayor’s race.

“Obviously, you want to look at everything before you run. It’s a huge commitment,’’ he said. “It would take away from me running my business. It’s got to be a well-thought-out decision.
“Would I like to be mayor? Absolutely. Whether this is my time or not, I’m not sure.’’

© Copyright 2011 Globe Newspaper Company.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I have to say is I just read the Advocate and Independent. What a bunch of election year malarkey!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  3:31:11 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today in the mail I received an invitation to a fundraiser from The Committee to elect Everett Council President, Sergio Cornelio. Nowhere on the invitation does it mention what office he is running for. It doesn't say from The Committee to reelect is says to elect....so, I am guessing he will not be running for Common Council.

Anyone know what office Councilor Cornelio will be running for?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:40:02 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone tell me when nomination papers are available? I want to check the book to see who is running for what.

Edited by - massdee on 04/07/2011 10:09:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nomination papers were available beginning Monday 4/4
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  11:51:47 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. i was pretty sure it was around now but wasn't sure of the date. Has anyone pulled papers yet?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  12:35:06 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to City Hall, here's what I read in the book. Hope I remembered it correctly:

Ward 1, Millie Cardello, Alderman
Ward 3, Lenny Jordan, Common Council
Ward 4, Dominic Puleo, Both Alderman and Common Council
Ward 5, Lorrie Bruno, Common Council
Ward 5, Joe Santagate, Common Council
Ward 5, Rosa DiFliro, Both Alderman at Large and Common Council
Ward 6, Mike McLaughlin, Common Council

Edited by - massdee on 04/07/2011 1:21:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  1:14:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a problem I have, and I think it lies within the charter. If law states you can only hold one seat, then you should only be able to pull papers for one seat. I don't understand Dominic and Rosa. Both will never make the BOA and should not waste their time.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  1:37:59 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as they are only passing nomination papers in for one position they are following what is on the books. Of course, in my opinion, pulling papers for more than one position is like hedging your bet. If it doesn't look like you will win one then you will go for the other...
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange how the two that pulled papers for 2 offices are supporters of the mayor. Sounds like trying to stack the common council and aldermen.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2