Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 2011 Board of Aldermen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

kittycat

66 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:02:22 AM  Show Profile Send kittycat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He the mayor has to push it up, IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR TAILS the BIGGER THE BETTER
Go to Top of Page

Linda M

43 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  8:11:24 PM  Show Profile Send Linda M a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA AGENDA
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN, MONDAY, APRIL 25,
2011, 7:00 PM, PETER J. MCCARREN MEMORIAL CHAMBERS, EVERETT, MA

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR
1. A0074-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To accept a donation totaling $17,500.00 from Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc., to the
City of Everett to be deposited into the Park Revolving Fund Account.

2. A0075-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To accept the donation of twelve (12) blankets worth $625.00 from John Mattuchio,
Owner of the Scrubbing Board, to the Everett Police Department.

3. A0076-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To accept a donation of $5,000.00 from the Whitman Estate to the City of Everett's
General Fund.

4. A0085-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To accept that portion of Air Force Road, from Norman Street to the end of Air Force
Road, as a Public Way.

PAPERS FROM THE COMMON COUNCIL

5. C0068-11 Ordinance/s/Councilors Adam Ragucci, David Rodrigues and
Leo McKinnon-To amend the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 18-
143, Odd and Even All Night Parking, paragraph (e) by deleting in its entirety and insert
new as follows:
"(e) This section shall be in effect from November 1st through March 31st. The side of
the street on which motor vehicles will park in accordance with subsection (a) will be the
year subsequent to the November when said ban is declared."
All ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict with the foregoing are hereby repealed."
(With favorable Committee on Rules & Ordinances recommendation from 4-12-11)
(Enrolled sent up for enrollment)

PETITIONS AND LICENSES
6. A0078-11
Petition for Junk Dealer's License from H H & M Metals, Inc. at 337 Second Street.

7. A0079-11
Petition for Class II Motor Dealer License from Everett Motors Group, Inc. at 3 Everett
Ave.

8. A0080-11
Petition for Open Air Parking License from Paul's Towing Inc, at 3 Buell Street.

9. A0081-
Petition to replace Permanent Awning from Master Printing & Signs for Esmair Rosa
D/B/A Dollar Brazil at 170 Main Street.

10. A0082-11

10. A0082-11
Petition for Junk, Recovery and Recycling Facility License, Precious Metals Dealer,
Precious Metals Processor, Non-Ferrous Metal Processor, Antique/Second
Hand/Collectibles Dealer and Storage of Flammable Products Licenses from Joseph P.
Marchese, Jr. D/B/A Wentworth Precious Metals LLC, 0 Terminal Street at 413-421
Second Street.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

11. A0222-10 Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report
On Resolution offered by Alderman Robert Van Campen, as President-That the City
Council, along with the Mayor, revisit the trash ordinances in order to make certain that
the ordinances are most beneficial to the city and its residents; with a recommendation
to refer back to Sponsor.

12. A0035-11 Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report
On Ordinance offered by Alderman Robert Van Campen and Councilor Daniel
Napolitano-That the City of Everett enact an ordinance requiring vehicles which are
parked in a public way to be cleaned and moved within 48 hours from the end of a
declared snow emergence; with no recommendation.

13. A0048-11 Committee on Public Service Report
On Communication from Everett Taxi Drivers and Management D/B/A Everett Car
Service, P.O Box 762, Everett, MA, relative to a temporary fuel surcharge ($.75 for all
metered fares and flat rate fares over $5.00 dollars, and a $2.00 surcharge for all Logan
and Boston fares for a term of six months.), to help defray increasing cost of the fuel to
operate; with a recommendation for favorable action on the amended fare structure.

14. A0069-11 Committee on Licenses Report
On Petition for an Auto Repair-Mechanical License for Jean M. Baguidy D/B/A PK Auto
Repair at 365 Third Street.

15. A0066-11 Committee on Licenses Report
On Petition from Joseph Montesano for new awning at Buckman Street Market, 63
Buckman Street.

NEW BUSINESS
16. A0077-11 Resolution/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese
To reserve the Council Chambers Tuesday, May 24th at 6:00 p.m. to conduct a
community meeting, and to invite the Mayor, Chief of Police, Aldermen and Councilmen
to attend, as well as, notifying ECTV to place notice of meeting on Bulletin Board.

17. A0083-11 Order/s/Aldermen Robert Van Campen and L. Charles DiPerri
To dedicate the Square at Rock Valley Ave and Edith Street in honor of Thomas Ricci, a
WWII Veteran, (Iwo Jima and a Purple Heart Recipient).

18. A0084-11 Resolution/s/Alderman Joseph McGonagle
That the Mayor give serious consideration to allocating a capitol improvement plan to
start to replace the floors at City Hall, as soon as possible, as it is long overdue.

19. A0086-11
BOA Worksheet Monday, April 25, 2011
1.Sponsor: Alderman Michael Marchese-To complete Abbott Ave repaving of street and
sidewalks.
Referred to: Mayor, City Engineer, City Services and Community Development.
2. Sponsor: Alderman Michael Marchese-On Fuller Street to grind and repair roadway.
3.Sponsor: Alderman Michael Marchese-To fill-in sidewalk holes on Cherry Street where
trees were removed.
4. Sponsor: Alderman Michael Marchese-To repave the following streets: Colburn
Terrace and Russell Street.
Referred to: Mayor, City Engineer, City Services and Community Development
5.Sponsor: Alderman Michael Marchese-To replace the sidewalk at 22 Hillside Ave.
Referred to: Mayor, City Engineer, City Services
Adjournment
Respectfully submitted:
Caroline McCorry
Adm. Assist. / Office Mgr.
Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us
Reminder:
4/25 6:30PM License Committee Meeting
5/2 6:00PM Joint Convention/Public Hearing (Zoning Ordinances)
5/2 7:00PM Common Council Meeting
5/9 7:00PM Next Board of Aldermen Meeting
You must be logged in to see this link.
Happy Easter
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just turned the meeting on. Why are they in Executive Session?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Item 10. Building inspector attempted to reclassify the type of business being done on that property to heavy industrial thereby putting the business in violation of the zoning in the area. Seems as if there have been ongoing issue with the City and Atty. Marchese as the city was served notice of a lawsuit on Friday. The aldermen wanted to know the details. The city solicitor declined to speak about them in public because of the lawsuit. Hence, executive session.

Atty. Marchese was pretty blunt about where he placed the source of the blame for the issues that he is having with the city.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  7:57:10 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tetris. I will have to watch the tape and find out where Atty. Marchese is placing the blame.

I would hate to tick off Atty. Marchese. He has the potential to be a very formidable adversary.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  8:28:10 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you'll need to watch the replay to figure that out Massdee but it is well worth watching.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

Item 10. Building inspector attempted to reclassify the type of business being done on that property to heavy industrial thereby putting the business in violation of the zoning in the area. Seems as if there have been ongoing issue with the City and Atty. Marchese as the city was served notice of a lawsuit on Friday. The aldermen wanted to know the details. The city solicitor declined to speak about them in public because of the lawsuit. Hence, executive session.

Atty. Marchese was pretty blunt about where he placed the source of the blame for the issues that he is having with the city.

Can the building inspector reclassify an existing business? Wouldn't that business be grandfathered? Did they happen to say what Atty Marchese's law suit is about?

You are right, I can figure out who he was blaming but I didn't want to assume.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:17:21 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the building inspector's powers with respect to reclassification. But one certainly got the impression that Atty. Marchese thought the building inspector was overstepping his bounds by attempting a reclassification as a part of the annual inspection required to renew his license. That feeling seemed to be based on his assertion that the business that they are doing has not changed since their license was last renewed and that similiar businesses in the same zoning district had not be reclassified as part of their license renewal process.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. After reading your last post one would think that Atty. Marchese would have the law on his side. What is good for one is good for all. Is Atty. Marchese's business near Wood Waste? I wonder if Mr Fields is attempting to change Wood Waste's classification too.

Since the BOA voted to give Atty Marchese his license, I wonder if that will make his law suit go away. I am assuming the law suit has to do with this issue. I could be wrong though.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  11:13:41 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the feeling that there is more to the law suit than just the license renewal. Remember, this isn't the first time in recent memory that a Marchese business has had an issue with a license renewal. The Board overrode the building inspector's recommendation on the license the last time; there was no reason to believe that they wouldn't do the same this time too. If there was any doubt, I would think that Marchese would have delayed filing his suit until after this vote so that the Board could have been included as parties in the suit as well.

You should probably watch the replay and judge for yourself though.

Edited by - tetris on 04/25/2011 11:16:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the replay last night. I think you are probably correct. I believe I heard Atty. Marchese say this has been going on for a while and the letter from the building inspector was the final straw and pushed him into filing the law suit.

BTW, I assumed correctly on the blame game. I wonder what's up with that?

Edited by - massdee on 04/26/2011 08:22:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  8:15:47 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d say Joe Marchese is quite upset and rightfully so. Good businesses that are compliant and pay their taxes have to be in fear of reprisal??

What I found most disturbing was the fact the taxes were $8000 in 2008, and now in 2011 they are $36,000.00. This administration is driving good people out of the city.

I think Joe Marchese’s comment about the corner office being under mob rule was too kind.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I heard Atty Marchese say "mob rule" but I wasn't sure so I didn't post about it. So, I guess I heard right. He certainly appears not to be a happy camper with the Administration right now.
Go to Top of Page

Jane

102 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile Send Jane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN, MONDAY, MAY 9,
2011, 7:00 PM, PETER J. MCCARREN MEMORIAL CHAMBERS, EVERETT, MA

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR
1. A0093-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Subject to confirmation by the Honorable Board of Aldermen and in conformity with the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 14, Section 14-2. Appointment of chief, other police officers, I hereby appoint Sgt. Demetri O'Malley to Police Lieutenant for the City of Everett.

2. A0094-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Authorizing the transfer of $222,000 from City Services Salary Account to City Services Road Salt Account of $140,000 and City Services Equipment Hire Account of $82,000. This is due to the influx of winter storms associated with removal of snow and treating
the roadways.

3. A0095-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Authorizing the transfer of $100,000.00 from the Human Resources Department - Health Insurance Account to the Treasurer/Collector - Medicare Account. This is due to higher than anticipated costs during Fiscal Year 2011.

4. A0096-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Authorizing the transfer of $100,000.00 from the Human Resources Department - Health Insurance Account to the Human Resources Department - Unemployment Account. This is due to the extension by the Federal Government of unemployment benefits during Fiscal Year 2011.

5. A0097-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Authorize the transfer of $33,000.00 from Management Information Technologies Department - Salary Account to the Human Resources Department - Comp General Liability Account. This is due to higher than anticipated claims during the winter months.

6. A0098-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To authorize the transfer of $130,000.00 from the City Solicitor's Salary Account to the Assessor's Professional Services Account. This is due to providing the Fiscal Year 2012 value update early (in Fiscal Year 2011).

7. A0099-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
To authorize the transfer of $26,000 from the Mayor's Salary Account 01-121-10-121- 5111 to the Recreation Salary Account 01-630-10-630-5111, due to hiring a part-time employee to fill a vacancy within the Recreation Department. The position was
previously funded under the City Services Department but will now be funded under the
Recreation Department.

8. A0100-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
Authorizing the transfer of $10,000.00 from the Budget Dept. - Salary Account to the Parking Clerk Department - Salary Account. This is due to the settlement between Local 888 of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the City of Everett. The duration of this contract with the Parking Enforcement Union is July 1, 2010 thru June 30, 2013.

PAPERS FROM THE COMMON COUNCIL

9. C0078-11 Order/s/Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 to the City of Everett's Department of Veteran Services from Joseph King. (Passed sent up, and letter of thanks be sent.)

10. C0079-11 Order/s/Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as President
To accept the donation of $50.00 to the City of Everett's Beautification Project from Margaret Mitton. (Passed sent up, and letter of thanks be sent.)

11. C0068-11 Ordinance/s/Councilors Adam Ragucci, David Rodrigues and
Leo McKinnon-To amend the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, Chapter 18-143, Odd and Even All Night Parking, paragraph (e) by deleting in its entirety and insert new as follows: "(e) This section shall be in effect from November 1st through March 31st. The side of the street on which motor vehicles will park in accordance with subsection (a) will be the year subsequent to the November when said ban is declared." All ordinances or parts of ordinances in conflict with the foregoing are hereby repealed."
(With favorable Committee on Rules & Ordinances recommendation). (Ordained sent up for ordainment).

PETITIONS AND LICENSES
12. A0088-11
Petition for Junk Dealer's License from M. & S. Metals Co., Inc. at 391 Third Street.

13. A0089-11
Petition for Junk Dealer's License from Carlyle Precious Metals, LLC at 2-24 Dexter Street.

14. A0090-11
Petition for Mechanical and /or Body Repair Shop from Medrano Auto Care Inc. at 172 Chelsea Street.

15. A0102-11
Petition from Chris Murphy D/B/A "The Common Dog" at 56 Vine Street to change his awning color to all black.

16. A0103-11
Petition for 2nd Class Motor Dealer License from Stadium Auto Sales at 35 Everett Ave, with six repair stalls located at 12 Vine Street, and ten vehicles for sale requested.

COMMUNICATIONS
17. A0083-11
Favorable recommendation from Veteran's Services on Order signed Aldermen Rob Van Campen and Chuck DiPerri-To dedicate the Square at Rock Valley Ave and Edith Street in honor of Thomas Ricci, a WWII Veteran, (Iwo Jima and a Purple Heart
Recipient).

COMMITTEE REPORTS
18. A0301-10 Joint Convention Report
On Ordinance/s/ Alderman Robert Van Campen, as Former President 2010-To amend the Zoning Ordinances, a portion of Section 23, of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett, "Plumbing Division Fee Schedule" by removing the current Plumbing Division Fee Schedule and replacing it with new; with favorable recommendation from the Joint Convention/Public Hearing.

19. A0317-10 Joint Convention Report On Ordinance/s/Alderman Robert Van Campen, as Former President 2010-Creating the Parkway Overlay District; with unfavorable recommendation.

20. A0081-11 License Committee Report
On Petition to replace Permanent Awning from Master Printing & Signs for Esmair Rosa D/B/A Dollar Brazil at 170 Main Street.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
21. A0035-11 Committee on Rules & Ordinances Report
On Ordinance offered by Alderman Robert Van Campen and Councilor Daniel Napolitano-That the City of Everett enact an ordinance requiring vehicles which are parked in a public way to be cleaned and moved within 48 hours from the end of a declared snow emergence; with no recommendation.

22. A0048-11 Order/s/Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
To grant the "Everett Taxi Drivers D/B/A Everett Car Service their request to amend the
current taxi cab rates as follows:
Current drop is $2.00 - raise to $2.40
Current rate per 1/8 mile is $0.45 - raise to $0.55
Current wait time rate is $22.00 - raise to $26.00

The above request is to help drivers deal with the increasing cost of gas along with the cost of inflation. Please not the above rates are already in effect in the City of Malden. From Malden Trans Inc., 290 Eastern Ave, Malden, MA 02148 781-322-9400 Fax 781- 324-9291.

NEW BUSINESS
23. A0091-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as President
That in accordance with the provisions of the General Laws of Massachusetts, the City Clerk be and is hereby authorized and directed to notify and warn the inhabitants of the City of Everett, qualified to vote as the law requires, to assemble at the several polling places, for an within the several precincts, where they are duly registered voters on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2011 for the MUNICIPAL ELECTION, then and there to give their votes for a ballot question on the proposed charter.

24. A0092-11 Resolution/s/Aldermen Robert Van Campen and Michael
Marchese-Due to major traffic delays and commuter disruption, the Everett Board of Aldermen requests that Senator Sal DiDomenico and Representative Stephen Smith request that the Massachusetts Port Authority provide the residents of Everett with a discounted fee in order to use the Tobin Bridge during construction on Lower Broadway
(Route 99).

25. A0087-11 Ordinance/s/Alderman Sal Sachetta
To amend Chapter 2 of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by adding Section 2-38, as follows: Section 2-38. Military compensation.

26. A0101-11 Order/s/Alderman Michael K. Marchese, as Aldermanic
President and Councilor Sergio Cornelio, as Common Council
President - That in accordance with the provisions of Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 43B, the city council shall cause the final report of the Everett Charter Commission to be printed and a copy be distributed to each residence of one or more registered voters. Such distribution shall occur not later than two weeks before the November 8, 2011 municipal election at which the question of adopting the charter is to be submitted to the voters. Additional copies of the final report shall be filed with the city clerk for distribution to registered voters requesting the same and one such copy shall be posted in his office.

Adjournment Respectfully submitted: Caroline McCorry, Adm. Assist. / Ofc. Mgr. Everett City Council Office
council@ci.everett.ma.us

Reminders:
5/9 6:30 p.m. Committee on Licenses Meeting
5/16 7:00 p.m. Common Council Meeting
5/17 6:00 p.m. Committee on Bills & Accounts Meeting
5/23 7:00 p.m. Next Board of Aldermen Meeting
FYI: 5/24 6:00 p.m. Open Community Meeting Hosted by Alderman Marchese in Council Chambers. All Members invited to attend and participate. Public encouraged to attend.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Happy Mother’s Day
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  5:19:53 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I hear Ms. Chapman say that Larry DeCoste no longer works for the city?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2