Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Mayor's Race 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  1:21:33 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A debate sure will be interesting. They should find a nonpartisan person such as the city clerk. There aren't many people in this city that don't have political ties.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree that the city clerk is a perfect person. I was thinking Billy Hart, but I don't trust him anymore. Billy works for the mayor, the clerk is not under the mayor, and would be the most knowledgeable and bipartisan person.
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today's Independent.

The Smoke and Mirrors of the Mayors’ Race (Unedited)
by Peter Napolitano on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First of all, I would like to thank the Independent for allowing me a sounding board here in the Guest Op-Ed section to present my views and opinions on the current financial state of the City. There are too many forces working to shut out my message and/or question my ability to win the Mayors’ office back for you, the taxpayers and residents of Everett. Last week’s Common Council meeting was a prime example. I am always amazed how the powers that be spin the upcoming election for Mayor to his benefit. It makes you wonder what they really have to lose. Frankly I am more concerned what you have to lose.

We have all seen the photos on the front page of all three newspapers of the Mayor’s supporters grouped around the clock in Everett Square. It looks pretty imposing until you start to notice the number of city employees and paid workers in the group. There are Everett voters present there too, but the actual number is somewhat smaller. I am reminded of a quote from one of our founding fathers, Thomas Paine, “An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.” Many of our residents who I speak with everyday have commented to me about what they are very concerned with. Jobs, taxes, overcrowding of our schools and neighborhoods, quality of education, unemployment, honesty in government; these are the true issues of this campaign. Everything else in this campaign is just smoke and mirrors. I may not be able to match the Mayor, dollar for dollar or sign for sign, but it has not stopped me or my volunteer supporters from working hard every day since May to make sure that I understand your concerns. I have always prided myself as being more a public servant and less a politician. That will not change.

I understand what many of us are dealing with and what it is like to have to live from paycheck to paycheck. I understand what it is like to build a business from scratch with all the risk it entails. No one has ever given me a free ride and I have had to work hard like many of you to raise a family and provide a roof over their heads. Our Mayor does not understand the struggle to survive in this economy. He lives a lifestyle that is above most of our means but I do not fault him for that. He has too many outside special interests. Do not think that it has to be that way, it does not. The best person to run this city is the person who can manage the City without creating an undue financial hardship on you. I want to move the City forward and will make the hard choices to do it. Too much is at stake. We need a City that is not just clean and beautiful, but is a safe and affordable place to live. You deserve no less.

In closing, I am continuing to ask the taxpayers and voters of Everett to maintain an open mind and not believe everything you read being put out by the Mayor. I am asking for your vote for Mayor to lead the City down a more cautious approach during these tough economic times. I have served the Mayor a formal notice by certified mail that I challenge him to a one on one debate and other than a notice in last week’s newspapers, he has made no effort to respond directly to me or my committee, just more smoke and mirrors. Many of you have offered your help and support. My headquarters is located in Everett Square at 142 School Street. We are open Monday through Friday from 8am to 8pm and Saturdays from 8am to 5pm and our phone number is 617-697-6502. We have been building an “army of principles” and all volunteers are welcome. My goal is to restore the sense of community that has made Everett a great place for everyone who lives or works here. As always, thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Councilor Peter A. Napolitano

Candidate for Mayor
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  5:23:26 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are Peter's crudentials? Did he ever even graduate from Bunker Hill? Just because someone is a "former bussiness man" and a "former banker" does not make me want to vote for them. Why is he a "former" everything.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  7:08:43 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aren't we all a former something.
Go to Top of Page

Cam

82 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  9:18:22 PM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the mayor was a former donut maker or is he still a donut maker...
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  9:21:53 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Editor;

I am once again surprised at how low Everett politics will sink to, regardless of what it does to our community or one man’s reputation. I am of course talking about the front page commentary in the September 16th issue of the Everett Advocate, “Napolitano crossed the line”. Imagine, taking a public meeting like the September 6th Common Council meeting which thousands of our residents saw first-hand and then twisting it around in a way that needed to start with the phrase, “Once upon a time….”. The meeting can be found on the City Web-site at You must be logged in to see this link. 17 minutes into the meeting or stop into my headquarters in Everett Square and we will play it for you. Watch the meeting.

First of all, thank you to all the people who saw the meeting and contacted me. I crossed no line. I have been elected as a member of the City Council to ask the questions you have asked me. I never played the 9/11 card, the Mayor did. It is common knowledge that he has been trying to come up with a way to sell the idea of a fountain. His solution; make it a memorial. I grieve with every member of this community who witnessed the tragic events over ten years ago and to have it further underscored with the deaths of two of our own neighbors. What makes it more tragic today is to see this solemn event used for political gain. This was the 10th anniversary. Why wasn’t the existing memorial plaque which was donated by the Carr Henderson Funeral Home shortly after 9/11 repaired before the 10th anniversary? Why wasn’t there a wreath placed in front of the memorial plaque? These are some of the questions I have been asked by our residents. These are some of the questions the Mayor has accused me of politicizing. Watch the meeting.

City Councilors have always asked questions on projects - like how much will it cost, how much will it cost to maintain and why do we need it. It is our job and that is why you elect us. I will not be accused of not doing my job just because I am running for Mayor. Is it not a little suspect that I was limited in my questions, which were hardly ever answered except to be accused of playing politics? I invited the Mayor to appear and purposely directed all my questions to him. He is the Chief Executive Officer of the City and is solely responsible for this project. In regards to my “grilling” Mrs. DeMaria, I asked her only one question the entire evening and that was to ask her how she was feeling. I offered her no criticism. Watch the meeting.

In closing, I was told a few months ago that this election was going to get real nasty after Labor Day and here we are. I have made it clear that my Committee and I will not run a negative, dirty campaign and I have no part in the negative campaign being mailed against the Mayor and others. The Advocate Commentary is part of a negative, dirty campaign. The Mayor and I have our differences on many issues but the thousands of residents who watched this meeting know that I never asked Mrs. DeMaria any other questions. I am asking the Mayor to come forward and clear the air on this one issue. The truth is the truth. Watch the meeting.

Sincerely,

Councilman Peter A. Napolitano

Candidate for Mayor
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  10:20:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty sad when a candidate has to spend time defending himself against an untrue article in one of our local newspapers. That is why I have stopped reading the Friday paper years ago. That paper is way too political.

What ever happened to reporting the news factually and not slanting it one way or the other.
Go to Top of Page

waterboy

101 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  1:20:03 PM  Show Profile Send waterboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With this year’s Mayoral election, Everett is once more at a crossroad. The past decade has presented a unique series of both problems and opportunities for the City of Everett. For the past several years, we have been facing increasing water, sewer and property tax rates, the need to maintain our streets & public buildings, the declining condition of our business community, the continued need to maintain a high level of education for our young and as always, improved conditions for our elderly. This is not an easy task. Fixed costs are increasing, revenues are down, businesses are leaving and local aid applied to where it is most needed is more uncertain than in previous years. Whoever thought it to be expensive to live in Everett? Many of our residents are out of work, homeowners are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and local businesses are moving or closing due to three years of bearing the highest tax burden in the City. We cannot afford to continue with a “business as usual” mindset. If we expect our residents to have to tighten their belts, then it is up to City Government lead the way, much more than in the past. You, the voters of Everett have the task of deciding who truly best represents your interests as your Mayor for the next two years. My name is Peter A. Napolitano and I am a candidate for the office of Mayor. I have the privilege of currently serving on the Everett Common Council representing Ward One, having first been elected in 1999. I am a homeowner and have been a resident of Everett for over 53 years. I live at 169 Cottage Street with my wife Vivian and our four children. I was honorably discharged from the United States Navy after serving 8 years on active duty. Additionally, I have been active in our community as a former Everett business owner, a banker, as a member of a number of community organizations and active in my church. I have also been an independent voice for government reform leading the movement to form a Charter Commission to produce a modern City Charter which we will vote on this fall. Since being elected by the good people of Ward One, I have strived to be worthy of their selection by constantly working hard to improve the quality of life in our neighborhoods. To do that job properly, I do not support something that the voters have told me is not in their best interests. As an independent public servant, my decisions are governed by the feedback of you, the voters, my research and my own conscience. I have always felt that I only support projects that are good for the City and not outside special interests. If I can not look myself in the mirror, how can I look you in the eye? I take this commitment to our community very seriously. I am asking for your support and help to continue my efforts to ensure that city government serves you properly, is affordable and that we return the City back to the hands of its taxpayers. I feel that City government is a partnership with the residents, the business community, the taxpayers and the school system. I promise to provide an open and accessible administration as well as to never lose sight of who works for whom. If you believe in my efforts and want to assist my campaign, please contact me at 617-389-7340 or e-mail me at panward1@aol.com. You can also friend me on Facebook. I look forward to speaking with you as I make my rounds though our neighborhoods and listening to your concerns. I am your public servant working hard to serve both our community and you. This November, make Peter A. Napolitano your “Independent” choice for Mayor of Everett.
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  2:50:53 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is Everett Really Heading?

There are many issues on the mind of the average Everett resident. I have spent every day for the past several months listening and talking to our neighbors all over the City. Many questions are being asked and the people are not satisfied with the Mayor’s answers. There is an inconsistency that is rapidly becoming apparent to many of you. Something does not add up and no amount of grass and flowers will change that. We live in a City that has two power plants, a gasoline fuel depot, an LNG terminal, the Produce Center and many more large industrial taxpayers. The Mayor had a surplus of money left over when he took office, the City has sold the old City Yards and the Devens School, and the Mayor has taken credit for collecting millions of dollars of back tax revenue. In spite of all this, we still have the highest taxes in the area. Something is seriously wrong here.

How can that be? Where has all the money gone? This is not leadership with results. This administration does not have a clue how to manage the City effectively except to spend, spend, spend without addressing the real problems. This money comes from you. True leadership with results manages the City’s problems during these tough economic times while managing the impact on its residents and taxpayers who are already struggling just to make ends meet. This is my plan for the first year as your Mayor: analyze the spending habits that have brought us to this point; see how much money is left on the table; meet with experts in fiscal management; and present you with a budget that will hopefully roll back the taxes to give you some relief.

Recently I attended the Mayor’s “Visionary” meeting for Everett Square. It was attended by commercial property owners, business owners, elected officials like myself and very concerned citizens. Most expected a plan on how to revitalize Everett Square. There are four commercial buildings for sale in the Square as well as five more within two blocks. The meeting for the most part was a failure. The Mayor spent the bulk of the meeting campaigning and defending his record. He failed to listen. How can you tell people that they need to invest more into their property, which many have already done so at a loss, when you are taxing that very same money out of their pockets? The meeting ended on a negative note and not much was actually accomplished. Everett Square does need some major planning, not just for the businesses but for our whole community. To do that properly, all factors including the excessive tax burden have to be discussed and addressed.

In closing, grass, flowers and numerous beautification projects mentioned by the Mayor are not going to turn this City around. They may make us feel good but in the final analysis, they are just smoke and mirrors designed to distract you from the true problem: a Mayor that has built an administration that has made no effort to effectively manage and prepare the City for the tough times we are experiencing. The people of Everett that I have been talking with are discussing not just the issues of the City but the struggles many are having. As your Mayor, I will stand for uniting a community that has been divided for too long and will work hard with experts to financially turn this great City around. You deserve no less and it is clear that many agree you are not getting that from this administration’s personal agenda. I want to be your next mayor and vow to work diligently to address your concerns. Something is seriously wrong in Everett and too much is at stake. Come join me and my supporters. My headquarters is located in Everett Square at 142 School Street and we are open Monday through Saturday. My phone number is 617-697-6502 or visit my website at You must be logged in to see this link. We have been building an “army of principles” and all volunteers are welcome. My goal is to restore the sense of community that has made Everett a great place for everyone who lives or works here. As always, thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
Candidate for Mayor
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  4:57:17 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trees are city property, right? Should there be a DeMaria political sign attached to a tree. I just drove by one.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  7:39:27 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what happened in the square Saturday morning between the mayor and Peter Napolitano's son? I am hearing some not very nice things about the mayor and his supporters.

Edited by - massdee on 10/10/2011 7:47:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  7:51:41 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I hear, Peter's son kept trying to annoy Carlo by waving his sign behind him. Carlo then went to shake somebody's hand, and Peter's son abruptly ran into his spot. Then Carlo asked Peter's son to move and the son was rude about it, Carlo asked Peter to do something, and Peter was also rude to him. I also heard that a few nights before, Peter's son yelled at Carlo's son for standing where, Peter's son thought he shouldn't have been. I don't know exactly what happened, but that's what I have put together out of several stories.
Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  8:04:11 PM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Anyone know what happened in the square Saturday morning between the mayor and Peter Napolitano's son? I am hearing some not very nice things about the mayor and his supporters.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Go to Peter Napolitano's FaceBook page.
Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  8:12:51 PM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry but as a first hand witness that's not entirely true. Peter's son made a sign that said Hello/Hola and was holding two signs. He got a couple of thumbs up with the Hola signs which Carlo acted very babyish about. He was not "waving" a sign to aggravate Carlo, he was flipping it back and forth to say "Hello/Hola" and never came close to Carlo.

Carlo thought he owned the sidewalk and told him to get out of there and was loud about it, which made everyone look. Matthew had every right to stand where ever he wanted. If Carlo wanted his "reserved" spot back, then he should have had someone stand there. The only thing Peter's son said was that he had every right to be there. That's when Carlo stuck 3 goons on a 17 year old kid and said the F-word to him and threaten to have him arrested, more than once. Then, he had the audacity to call the kid a clown, and his Dad a clown! Totally blown out of proportion by Carlo. He should have acted better. I personally told the goons to leave the kid alone, and one wanted to start with me. I told him just like Carlo can press a button and call the cops, so can I. Real tough guy picking on women and children like that. I've never witnessed such nonsense and bullying thugs in all my life!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2