Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 State Representative and Senator
 Hickey vs. Stat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbpolitical
Forum Admin

265 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  9:12:05 PM  Show Profile Send bbpolitical a Private Message
Poll Question:
Does the slim victory by Stat Smith over Nuzzo guarantee victory in November? Will Joe Hickey be able to woo Nuzzo supporters? There are lots of questions, but the real question is, who do you support?

Choices:

Stat Smith
Joe Hickey

(Anonymous Vote - Viewing results before voting will spoil your vote)

justthfcts

72 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  12:42:27 AM  Show Profile Send justthfcts a Private Message
I am afraid it may not matter how many of the Nuzzo voters turn to Hickey in the general election as Stat will most likely have the backing of the Dems on Beacon Hill. However, the governor's race is what scares the hell out of me. Make no mistake, Deval Patrick is a dangerous candidate, look at his record when he was Clinton's quota king in the justice department, his support of a vile rapist from Leominster, the fact that less than 10 days after the primary he was behind closed doors breaking bread with the two resident gangsters on Beacon Hill Dimasi and Travaglini, and even more disturbing is his recent sit down with Billy Bulger at a diner in South Boston. I am not saying that Kerry Healey is the answer but if you want more furloughs for murderers(something which he has already said he wouldnt necessarily be opposed to) higher taxes, and complete contempt for the voters of the commonwealth than i guess Deval is your man. PAUL D.DOBBINS

Go to Top of Page

bbpolitical
Forum Admin

265 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  11:15:04 PM  Show Profile Send bbpolitical a Private Message
Accusing a defense lawyer of backing violent criminals is pretty easy to do. I can't hold that against him since he was doing his job. The DNA evidence did what it was supposed to do, so I don't se what the problem is. If the man had turned out to be innocent, the fact that the man was Patrick's client would have had an entirely different effect on this race. Patrick had no control over it either way.

As for his advocacy of reform in criminal justice system, it is pretty clear to me where that is rooted. In Chicago, IL, where I grew up mostly, some of the most evil people in the whole state worked for the DA's office. Hundreds of men, mostly black and latino, were wrongly accused of murders and rapes by vigilante teams of cops and assistant DAs who were more interested in public image of being tough on crime than on actually getting the right guy. Deval Patrick grew up there too and I beleive in his fight for those whom no one else will fight for. If the wrongly accused and overzealously prosecuted in Illinois had been refused access to quality defense attorneys or their right to appeal, hundreds of grave injustices would have gone unnoticed.

Who is to say that here in Mass, something similar hasn't been happening? It is absolutely the case that that racial profile of suspects in cases of violent crime are predominantly black and latino, and lack the resources to retain quality legal representation. Eventually 99% of these people get out of prison and have little to no future for the next 30 to 50 years of their lives. I won't get into what I think about the nature of this punishment that goes beyond the sentence, but I will say that as much care as possible should be taken to ensure our system is working fairly. Being concerned about the integrity of our criminal justice system doesn't mean Patrick is soft on crime or in favor of a lawless society full of dangerous criminals. He is simply aware of the magnification of pain and suffereing inflicted upon the underserved in Massachusetts by the education and legal system and is trying to do something about it.

quote:
Originally posted by justthfcts

I am afraid it may not matter how many of the Nuzzo voters turn to Hickey in the general election as Stat will most likely have the backing of the Dems on Beacon Hill. However, the governor's race is what scares the hell out of me. Make no mistake, Deval Patrick is a dangerous candidate, look at his record when he was Clinton's quota king in the justice department, his support of a vile rapist from Leominster, the fact that less than 10 days after the primary he was behind closed doors breaking bread with the two resident gangsters on Beacon Hill Dimasi and Travaglini, and even more disturbing is his recent sit down with Billy Bulger at a diner in South Boston. I am not saying that Kerry Healey is the answer but if you want more furloughs for murderers(something which he has already said he wouldnt necessarily be opposed to) higher taxes, and complete contempt for the voters of the commonwealth than i guess Deval is your man. PAUL D.DOBBINS

I am an average resident of Everett who would like to see more communication about anything and everything to do with Everett
Go to Top of Page

theodore rex

45 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  6:42:51 PM  Show Profile Send theodore rex a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bbeverettma

Accusing a defense lawyer of backing violent criminals is pretty easy to do. I can't hold that against him since he was doing his job. The DNA evidence did what it was supposed to do, so I don't se what the problem is. If the man had turned out to be innocent, the fact that the man was Patrick's client would have had an entirely different effect on this race. Patrick had no control over it either way.

As for his advocacy of reform in criminal justice system, it is pretty clear to me where that is rooted. In Chicago, IL, where I grew up mostly, some of the most evil people in the whole state worked for the DA's office. Hundreds of men, mostly black and latino, were wrongly accused of murders and rapes by vigilante teams of cops and assistant DAs who were more interested in public image of being tough on crime than on actually getting the right guy. Deval Patrick grew up there too and I beleive in his fight for those whom no one else will fight for. If the wrongly accused and overzealously prosecuted in Illinois had been refused access to quality defense attorneys or their right to appeal, hundreds of grave injustices would have gone unnoticed.

Who is to say that here in Mass, something similar hasn't been happening? It is absolutely the case that that racial profile of suspects in cases of violent crime are predominantly black and latino, and lack the resources to retain quality legal representation. Eventually 99% of these people get out of prison and have little to no future for the next 30 to 50 years of their lives. I won't get into what I think about the nature of this punishment that goes beyond the sentence, but I will say that as much care as possible should be taken to ensure our system is working fairly. Being concerned about the integrity of our criminal justice system doesn't mean Patrick is soft on crime or in favor of a lawless society full of dangerous criminals. He is simply aware of the magnification of pain and suffereing inflicted upon the underserved in Massachusetts by the education and legal system and is trying to do something about it.

quote:
Originally posted by justthfcts

I am an average resident of Everett who would like to see more communication about anything and everything to do with Everett

I agree you should only be able to arrest a black or Latino if you have arrested 2 white people first!!!Kind of like a affirmative action for the justice system.Did it ever dawn on you that blacks and Latinos commit far more violent crimes then whites?
Go to Top of Page

theodore rex

45 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  7:43:38 PM  Show Profile Send theodore rex a Private Message
Here is some good facts if you have the time to read it!!!!
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message
Some of us are now feeling we made a mistake on this one. Please Mr. Hickey, if you read this board consider running again. You can count on a financial campaign contribution and the votes of my friends and family that went to Smith the last time. He does not represent the majority of us as he has made plainly clear. To quote the old rock band The Who, "We won't be fooled again".
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message
Don't you want to ask him what his stand is on gay marriage before you make that commitment MM1?
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message
No, as I posted on another thread the most important thing to me now is to be instrumental in teaching these elected officials that they defy the will of the majority of voters at their peril. They got away with it on the death penalty, the income tax reduction and clean elections. If they are'nt held accountable they will continue doing whatever they please whether we like it or not. Bouncing them from their positions for this behavior is the only way they will learn. I will inquire of Joe Hickey what his position is on this issue if he chooses to run again but payback for the derailing of the citizen inititive process is foremost on my mind now. Besides Mr. Hickey would have to be dumber than a bag of marbles not to understand why Stat was beaten. I believe he would learn from Smith's mistake and not repeat it or he would face the same fate.

Edited by - Middle-Man 1 on 06/18/2007 12:26:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunflower

2 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  6:10:10 PM  Show Profile Send sunflower a Private Message
Joe Hickey said he would not vote for the amendment. So there.
Go to Top of Page

Citizen Kane
Advanced Member

1082 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile Send Citizen Kane a Private Message
That's easy to say when you're not in the position to take the vote.
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message
I'm not asking anyone to vote for the ammendment. Get it straight will ya? I'm asking for our elected representitives to do what the majority is asking as evidenced by the recored ammount of signatures gathered and put it on the ballot for the people to decide. I don't give a hoot if Smith or Hickey votes for it or against it once it's on the ballot. Either could vote however they wished at that point as is everyone's right. That's democracy. We have a citizen initiative process and a couple hundred thousand voters used that process demanding to be heard. Our representitive should do just that and represent the majority of the people who elected him. If he chooses not to do so I'll work to defeat him. If his successor chooses not to do so I'll work to defeat him. Why do you have a problem with this very basic working of the democratic process?
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  8:47:18 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Middle-Man 1

Why do you have a problem with this very basic working of the democratic process?

Because we don't have a problem with the way he voted or gays being allowed to marry?

That's my guess.............
Go to Top of Page

Court4Fred
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  9:30:28 PM  Show Profile Send Court4Fred a Private Message
Middleman....do you really want to start the debate anew?
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  10:06:21 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message
I don't think I started it Court. My last post on the issue was the 18th. But to answer your question, no I do not wish to re-open this again. It's all been said now. I should have ignored the sunflower post which was obviously an attempt to get a rise out of me on an issue I feel strongly about. I regret taking the bait.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2