Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Rumors
 Our Mayor 2009
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  08:54:37 AM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets give the man a chance. Maybe everyone could use this area for thoughts and suggestions on bettering our community.

I for one would love to see a Teen Center.

Edited by - massdee on 04/08/2009 12:14:43 PM

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:14:13 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am with you there Lynda. Unfortunately, the idea has been around for years and nothing has been done about it. The old high school would be a great spot for a boy and girls club.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:27:21 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a teen center either. I think the old Devens School would be a good site for a teen center. I think the old high school has the possibilities of brining some much need revenue into the city if it is rehabbed and made into usable taxable space.

Edited by - massdee on 11/14/2007 12:29:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:45:19 AM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with massdee...the Devens School is better suited than the old HS for a Boys and Girls Club (or similar group).
Not sure what I would want to see at the HS. It's a pretty big space, so multiple uses are possible. With the increasing number of students entering the school system, does it make sense to evaluate the space needs of the school department before committing to a plan for the building?
Go to Top of Page

Dominic

65 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile Send Dominic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a teen center is what we are considering the answer to "The kids need more to do after school", I think a Boys/Girls Club (or similar organization) is only part of the solution.
I think the recreation department can do more to keep kids off the streets...and when the rec center schedule is full, the recreation department should use the gyms at our schools as well as the open spaces at the various parks. In addition, the mayors office should work to bring in developments that are appealing to young people (The Globe mentioned a movie theatre in its article Sunday). Also (I am going to get bashed for this one)....I think it is important for some parents to do a better job of parenting. After all, the outcry for having more activities for kids to do stems from the streets having too many "bad apples". The parents of those apples need to be more responsible for the actions of their offspring. 25 years ago, I could leave my house down the village and spend the day at the park or hanging out at Jimmy the Shoemakers store. My parents didnt have to worry where I was because they new I was safe. I'm not suggesting that we can get back to that time......but it should be the goal we work towards. Every step we take in that direction is better than what we have now.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:40:33 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think some of the problem is with our newest residents. Gang activity has increased as our illegal immigrant numbers have increased. Notice, I said, "illegal," not legal immigrant. This situation has added an extra burden all over our city as well as the rest of our country. It is part of the over population in our school system, the rooming house problems, trash disposal and our filthy streets. It also adds to our parking problems, health problems, and it ends up costing the city, state and federal government more money in services.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  11:25:19 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many people seem to think that the government, in this case the City, has the responsibility to babysit our children.

Why is that?

Why can't these children go home and do their homework or help out with family activities?

Why do parents always want someone else to take responsibility for their own offspring?

Every time a child breaks the law it is the same excuse from the parents...."Society should have done more to help my child."

How about helping your own children and stop whining about what the City of Everett needs to do for your lack of responsibily for your own children.

I also agree with massdee, it is all about illegal immigrants that burden our society.

You have all seen the notices in the local papers from the school department in seven languages. SEVEN LANGUAGES???????

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? THIS IS OUR HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS AT WORK......

This is America.....LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!

If I moved to South America they would NOT extend the same courtesy to me, but here the Commie Liberals mandate it by law!

Nuff Said (for now)

Time to make the donuts..........

Emile Schoeffhausen

Edited by - H1ghCh4r1ty on 11/14/2007 11:27:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  08:52:07 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Immigration

You must be logged in to see this link. 72...38_20071112.asp
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  6:34:31 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
massdee,
the link doesn't work.

Emile Schoeffhausen

"Time to make the donuts"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  7:22:48 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that, I can't seem to get it to work either.
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:29:16 PM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by H1ghCh4r1ty

Many people seem to think that the government, in this case the City, has the responsibility to babysit our children.

Why is that?

Why can't these children go home and do their homework or help out with family activities?

Why do parents always want someone else to take responsibility for their own offspring?

Every time a child breaks the law it is the same excuse from the parents...."Society should have done more to help my child."

How about helping your own children and stop whining about what the City of Everett needs to do for your lack of responsibily for your own children.

Emile Schoeffhausen

Do you want to know why we need the city to provide some after school activities for our kids? Let me tell you...
Do you own property in the city? Have you gotten a tax bill here? How do you expect the average family to allow our taxes to double and not have to have two incomes? You ask: Why can't these children go home and do their homework or help out with family activities? Because noone is there to great them. I hear you Emile but it is not feasible for some to stay at home and make cookies. I am fortunate that I don't have to work but I know many who do. I do not think that this is fair to burden on a working parent(s). What about parents without partners? What are they to do?
I think our new Mayor is going to make a big difference in our taxes but until that happens things are going to remain tight for some.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  1:43:06 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give the child a key and they should be able to get into their home, fix a snack and start their homework. I'm talking middle to high school age, not little kids. The postings refer to a teen center. Kids that age should be able to show some maturity and that goes the same for their parents.

Again I do not feel that the city should take responsibility for the obligations of the parents.

That's an easy cop out.

And yes I own property and pay taxes.

Maybe the kids can go to Carlo's house after school for donuts and coffee until Mom and Dad get home....

The Pup and Emile Schoeffhausen

Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not realize that you were referring to teens however, the last comment
"Maybe the kids can go to Carlo's house after school for donuts and coffee until Mom and Dad get home...." you sound like a very bitter person.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree it sounds like a bitter comment but to look at the situation from both sides, I can understand. I would love to see a teen center too but there are parents out there that just push their children on anyone and tries to get something for nothing. What I mean is the latch key parents want the city to pay (taxpayers) for all these services and these same parents blame the city when their children go wrong. They don’t take responsibility for their kids. Another thing is if your going to have 3 and 4 children, then you need to provide for them, not rely on the city and state.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  3:44:29 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lynda, the Pup and I might be a tad bitter now and then, but we just add a little extra sugar to our Honey Dew coffee and everything seems to be viewed through rose colored glasses.

Ahhh...such bliss!

The Pup and Emile Schoeffhausen

Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  4:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2