Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Rumors
 Budget
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The budget is due to be submitted on May 15th. Anyone know when the budget hearings will start?

"Deb"

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  11:29:40 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing scheduled on the calendar on the city web site yet.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read on the ECTV Bulletin Board that the presentation of the FY10 budget will be this Thursday night May 14 at 7 PM live on ECTV-16.

If it follows the pattern of prior years, it's not really a big deal since the councilors will be seeing the budget for the first time. It would be a welcome surprise though if the administration provided a detailed overview.

I guess we'll have to tune in and see.
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no layoffs everyone is staying where they are, fat boy found the money after he put us through a week of turmoil, time for a woman to take over
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you explain, please?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  2:06:52 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's really nothing to explain. The union rep told their people that there would be no layoff or bumping. Carlo miraculously found the money to keep the clerical for intact............At least for now!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  2:09:05 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea where he found the money? Could we have been over taxed last year?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  2:34:28 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They all got called back today. I heard there was an agreement with the health insurance split. I also heard the mayor does not want anyone mad at him. They have their jobs back......for now.

My problem is, how can you lay someone off and the very next day, miraculously find the money? I don’t think health costs can be the total factor. He claims he “found” the money.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  3:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was talk of picket lines tonight @ City Hall & the council questioning thim about the layoffs. He's doing what he can to avoid as much negativity as possible.

The way I hear it, he's so concerned with re-election and keeping people happy, he'll do just about anything. I didn't hear anything about a health care cost split.

Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  4:33:34 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no picket lines, all employees are happy for now, but there is still layoffs coming for next year, the employees are not out of the woods
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  5:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
devens school was sold today that is how he saved jobs for fiscal year 2010 wait till next year
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  6:33:04 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to see anyone loose their job, but all this is doing is delaying the inevitable. Using the words "for now" just proves that.

We will be in the same boat a year from now. The money will be gone, the inevitable layoffs will happen, and it wont be an election year. I can read between the lines.

And who will be the losers.............the suffering tax payer.

Edited by - Tails on 05/14/2009 6:34:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  6:38:00 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I read that the proceeds from the sale of the city yards had to be used for infrastructure, not salaries. If I didn't misunderstand, then wouldn't the same hold true for the sale of the Devens?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  6:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait until 7 PM to see what the Mayor has to say but money from the sale of the Devens School can not be used to for anything else but capital expenses, just like the old city yards. No disputing that it may be the story going around but I just don't understand how it can be true.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

I thought I read that the proceeds from the sale of the city yards had to be used for infrastructure, not salaries. If I didn't misunderstand, then wouldn't the same hold true for the sale of the Devens?

Justme, I think you have that absolutely correct. I would love to know where he found the money. Didn't he find money before when the first major cut came down from the state? Wasn't the water account over budgeted too? There seems like a lot of money floating around.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  7:10:22 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the money is going to be coming from Free Cash.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2