Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Rumors
 Budget
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  7:10:27 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Free cash; special meeting Tuesday night.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does not sound like a permanent solution. It sounds more like putting a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches. I would like to see a more creative, long term solution, for the best interest of the entire city other than “free cash.....for now.”
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:07:17 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can the general public go to city hall and get a copy of the budget book?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that you have been able to get one in the past, Massdee. Don't know if there is a cost associated with it though.

I think that the more economical solution is to put a copy of the budget on the city web site like they have the last two years. In order to get the Common Cause award that they get for the web site every year, the city must post budget information on the web site. Even though last year's budget was a mess for other reasons, the level of detail was better than the year before. I would hope that at least that same level of information would be available this year; even more would be better.

But, if what I'm assuming is going to happen because of the last minute decision to use free cash to avoid layoffs, the budget document is going have to be looked at with a grain of salt. It could make the budget hearings very difficult if the city council isn't on top of things.

Edited by - tetris on 05/14/2009 8:36:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris, did you happen to catch the dates of the budget hearings? Every time I turn a meeting on, my house seems to develop a revolving door. I end up missing the stuff I want to hear. It's nice to see your kids but sometimes.......

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first one is the 19th Massdee. I don't remember the others.......

Edited by - justme on 05/14/2009 8:47:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 19th? Is there two meetings that night? I am pretty sure the mayor said he was calling a special Alderman's Tuesday night to move money from Free Cash to prevent any layoffs.

"Deb"

Edited by - massdee on 05/14/2009 9:17:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  9:10:20 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I found on the calendar on the City Web site

5/18/2009 6:00 PM COMMITTEE ON BUDGET
5/19/2009 5:30 PM SPECIAL BOARD OF ALDERMEN MEETING
5/19/2009 6:00 PM COMMITTEE ON BUDGET
5/28/2009 6:00 PM COMMITTEE ON BUDGET
5/30/2009 8:00 AM COMMITTEE ON BUDGET

There was also a meeting scheduled for the first week in June (probably, if necessary). Can't remember what day it was (Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday). It's not on the website. The budget is scheduled to be voted out for the BOA meeting on June 8th. If prior form holds, the meeting on the 28th will only be the school budget; the school committee is having their public hearing on their budget this coming Monday night.

Don't know what's up with the special BOA meeting on Tuesday followed by the Budget meeting. That would presume that there is something also happening at the CC meeting Monday night. Can't tell though because the copy of the CC agenda posted on the city web site is incomplete and screwed up.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  9:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I did get the June date, it's Tuesday the 2nd.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  9:14:34 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! Forgot to mention that I think that the budget meeting on the 18th is probably a mistake on the city web site calendar; didn't hear anything about that tonight. But, I included it because it was there.
Go to Top of Page

Ellen

173 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  08:41:47 AM  Show Profile Send Ellen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to see people lose their jobs but using free cash for this seems like a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  08:58:37 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All it is, is a one year delay tactic and it's only because it's an election year. That's not right.

If free cash was the answer, why did he wait so long? Why did he lay people off then call them back, and it's thanks to free cash? It does not make sense. Why didn't he just do that in the first place instead of putting people through such stress?

It's funny that this all came about the same day people were going to picket outside city hall. I'm happy people were called back but it's temporary, and everyone knows it.

How is using free cash going to solve the problem? Have cuts been made to operational expenses and things of that nature. I remember when Hanlon was mayor, all the xerox machines were removed from city hall with the exception of one. Are things like that happening and is everyone making a sacrifice?

Edited by - Tails on 05/15/2009 10:14:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  06:46:59 AM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
tonite is the police budget along with parking clerk and the mayors office, I still want to see where he is getting the money for the insentive program you have 1 cop at 25, 000 and 7/9 fireman with over 30 years and under 20 so say you have 10 at 25, 000 where do you find it, plus they have to buyout their vac, sick, holiday and I would assume uniforms pro rated for. this will be interesting
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  7:16:07 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chief of staff makes 4,000 less than our mayor, what is wrong with this picture?
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another part timer in the mayors office for 2010 we must keep somerville going
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2