Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  1:35:28 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
outoftowner....I haven't really dug into the issues that Newburyport has with the landfill and it's owner. Can you tell me why the town is opposed to the landfill being capped?
Go to Top of Page

outoftowner

24 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  2:14:39 PM  Show Profile Send outoftowner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just Wondering...

I have never heard anyone from Newburyport say they don't want the landfill capped. What they don't want is 100,000 more yards of smelly waste coming into the city before it is capped. The landfill has already accepted 500,000 yards of terrible stuff and created the second-highest mountain the the city. More important, Nbypt residents have been subjected to the health effects and nuisance of hydrogen sulfide odors for many years and do not want any more.

There is no good reason the landfill cannot be capped with the materials already there. But the owner wants to make even more money than he already has, so he refuses to finish the job unless the city gives him permission to bring in more stuff and at double the rate originally agreed upon. That is what the fight is all about right now.

There's a web site with a more detailed history of what has been going on since 2000:
You must be logged in to see this link.

If Everett approves what the Newburyport landfill owner wants, Everett will suffer the same fate as Newburyport. That is years of mistreatment and expensive lawsuits.
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks outoftowner.....for some reason I thought the material from Everett was being used to cap the landfill. Sounds like you are saying that there is enough material onsite already and the material from Everett isn't needed. Has someone done the math to determine the volume needed to cap it? I have never seen the place nor do I know what depth the cap needs to be so I can't determine how much material is needed. Im assuming someone from Newburyport has done that analysis.
Go to Top of Page

outoftowner

24 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  8:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send outoftowner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just Wondering...

Good question. I am not an expert, but I heard the Newburyport landfill could have been capped with a tiny fraction of what is already there, maybe a few thousand yards. They only needed to smooth out some small hills on the site and then put a plastic cover over it so water would not leak in.

But the owner and the DEP worked together to turn the project into a money-making scheme. They decided to make the landfill as tall and as wide as possible so (1) the landfill owner could make lots of money and be eager to do it, and (2) the DEP could say it had arranged for a place to dispose of the tons of building demolition materials generated in the state every year. It was a win for the landfill owner and a win for the DEP. The only losers were the people of Newburyport for generations to come.

So the question about how much more material needs to come in has nothing to do with the engineering requirements for capping a landfill. It has only to do with how much more money the owner wants to make and how much more Massachusetts trash the DEP can claim it arranged for disposal.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  10:23:20 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some interesting information here. Good for Newburyport for going to the Governor directly and on the Everett side it “appears” the preliminary injunction against Wood Waste Boston is for them to clear out Wood Waste ASAP. That’s not confirmed but appears that’s what the preliminary injunction for Wood Waste was all about on the 14th of July.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  10:46:24 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really a shame that we have to find out about an Everett issue, Wood Waste, on a Newburyport blog. At least their elected officials are keeping their constituents informed. Everett should be so lucky.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  11:01:25 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You’re so right, it is a shame. As stated previously, we will most likely not hear anything. Very sad, and if that does happen, I’d like to know what happened to giving people their city back?

Just by following up with Newburyport's Daily News and their blogs, they seem like nice people and I hope this nightmare ends for them very soon. I would say they have suffered a lifetime over this money making fiasco. I just hope Everett does not meet that fate too.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  12:43:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to see Crow lane landfill just look here.

Disgusting....

Edited by - Tails on 07/17/2008 12:50:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  08:50:54 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any pictures of Mount Everett, down on Boston Street? I was heading to Stop and Shop yesterday. I was stopped at the light on the corner of Vine Street and the Parkway, I looked over towards Wood Waste and was amazed at the size of the pile of debris I could see from Vine Street. Something needs to be done to get that crap removed, as Attorney Rossi said would be done. It doesn't appear Mr Thibeault is becoming a good corporate neighbor, looks like more of the same to me.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look in the back by forth street and you will be amazed. Hold your nose.

Also, thank goodness for them that the Governor is getting involved and will deal with the DEP. He should look into his DEP department because they have not been helpful either and how sad is that….that it has to come down to getting the Governor involved.

The DEP/Courts, city council, lawyers could not do anything. Just wait until this man gets a hold of Everett.

Edited by - Tails on 07/17/2008 10:36:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have taken some. I plan to do so again to see if the size has changed. Do you have somewhere I can e-mail them and you can set them up for a view link?

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a comment from Gillian Swart on her blog. She is talking about the mayor of Newburyport.

Gillian Swart said...

I meant he is checking on the Everett piece of the equation for me, because I told him the Everett people don't know what's going on. He's not obligated to provide info to me to pass on to people in Everett ... he offered to do it because he's a good guy. I thought my meaning was obvious. Sorry!

July 17, 2008 10:00 AM

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW….. What a nice guy their mayor and a nice lady to post that for another city. Too bad we can’t get that cooperation here from our own mayor.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears the odor control system at the Newburyport landfill is not working, again! Is it just a coincidence that it is happening after the court ruling to give Newburyport until January to answer Thibeault's complaint? This area is coming into hot and humid weather for the weekend, I can only imagine the stench Newburyport residents will have to deal with.

Thursday, July 17, 2008
Odor complaints re-surface at Crow Lane

Well, bless my soul, who'd a thunk that something like this would happen?

The recent odors wafting gently over the neighbors of our lovely landfill mean just one thing - the gas extraction system is not working. I think that's the one thing ... oh, yeah, it is the one thing.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  10:26:48 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just like he did in March this year per the DEP. City officials in Everett and the appeals board better realize what they are getting into. I say show him the door or make him enclose Boston Street and find other development for the other properties. I’m not listening to any excuses about the market because I do not believe for one second that THIBEAULT is the only developer. Let’s look at other people and other development not a man that is nothing short of the devils godfather.

March 24, 2008

DEP: Landfill owner shut off odor control City calls action retribution for latest order.

By Stephen Tait
Staff Writer

NEWBURYPORT — Just days after receiving another cease and desist order from the city, the owner of the Crow Lane Landfill "manually and intentionally" shut down the device that helps dissipate the noxious smells from the dump, according to state officials.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2