Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea if it will be televised?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  09:06:04 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not scheduled for a live broadcast on the current ECTV schedule. It's being held in the council chambers so it could be easily taped for broadcast; but, who knows about that.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  09:20:07 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel that people need to attend in person. City government needs to know that we are paying attention. They might act more responsibly on this issue in the future if they see many people at the meeting. We are the people that elected them to their positions. They should be acting in our best interest, not their own.

On a side note:

There is a well written article by Keith Spencer in today's Independent.
It is titled, "Wood Waste takes center stage" It is on page 5.

Edited by - massdee on 10/29/2008 09:54:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears this "landfill agreement" is not as optimistic as we were lead to believe. What was plan B???? AGAIN? I knew in June plan B was trucking to Ohio and Michigan with the promise we would not wait until July.....but here we are on the last day in October and, no movement. Looks like we are not going to see it anytime soon either. Again.....did we have a plan B attack this time too?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  3:05:41 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newburyport wrote an article about the meeting. I think that was very kind of them to take the trip to Everett and share their stories. I think they opened a lot of eye's here in Everett. I wish our journalist were on top of things like they are. I cant say all, I think the Wednesday edition of The Independent, on Wood Waste, by Keith Spencer, was fabulous.

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  3:20:28 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great article Tails. I am posting it here.

Port, Everett councilors find common ground over landfill
By Katie Farrell
Staff writer

NEWBURYPORT — Several Newburyport city councilors joined neighbors of the Crow Lane landfill Wednesday night at a meeting in Everett and learned when it comes to landfills, the cities have even more in common than they realized

Wood Waste in Everett is owned by New Ventures and William Thibeault, the owner of the stench-plagued Newburyport landfill. Newburyport has stopped Thibeault from shipping any more waste to the city, due to violations Newburyport says Thibeault has committed at the landfill.

Officials in Everett believe the current situation at Wood Waste could be alleviated if materials from that facility could be brought to Newburyport to cap the Crow Lane landfill.

Newburyport city leaders attended the meeting looking to learn more about Everett's situation.

Bill Woodbury, a neighbor of the landfill who attended the meeting, said people in Everett were "gracious" to Newburyporters, and added, "They had no idea what we're going through."

The two cities learned they have "an awful lot in common," Woodbury said, including the same problems with hydrogen sulfide and its odors. The two communities aren't adversaries, he said, but are there to help each other out.

"We're all on the same page together," Woodbury said.

Thibeault's Everett recycling facility is causing headaches for some in that community, where a "rotten eggs" odor often emanates and piles of debris are the size of small mountains, city officials say.

Attorneys for Thibeault were present at the meeting, as were Everett elected officials.

"Everett learned about Newburyport as we learned about them as well," At-Large Councilor Tom Jones said.

The same questions were raised again and again, Jones said. What does Thibeault plan to do with the mounds of debris at the Wood Waste facility? The group was told if Newburyport allowed the material to be used at the landfill, it would stop the situation, Jones said.

"They (Everett) rightfully complained about the terrible smell," Jones said.

Attorneys for New Ventures and Wood Waste "continued to claim that they'd done nothing wrong," Jones said, and at one point referred to Thibeault as "the victim" — a statement that drew laughter, Jones said.

Landfill abutters, as well as Jones, spoke about the situation plaguing Newburyport.

Told that Wood Waste will build a permanent transfer station in two years in Everett, Jones said he shared how New Ventures told Newburyport in 2002 that he was going to close the landfill within 24 months, a process that included guidelines and protocols. The discovery of hydrogen sulfide caused the parties to create a new closure plan. The city agreed to a 36-month closure plan.

Under that plan, the landfill should have been capped by the end of 2005, Jones said. "That was what they were bound to do by the protocol they brought forward," he said. "The project sits now, half-done, six years later (from the initial meeting in 2002)."

Newburyport has faced an ongoing battle with New Ventures for years as both the city and the state have sought to move New Ventures forward. The city and state have fined New Ventures numerous times, issued two preliminary injunctions against the company and have taken them to court multiple times.
Go to Top of Page

outoftowner

24 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  9:07:42 PM  Show Profile Send outoftowner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daily News (Newburyport) Editorial

Misery needs company
November 03, 2008

Hats off to the Newburyport city councilors and citizens who trekked down to Everett last week to set the record straight about the Crow Lane landfill.

Seems that there's been some "misinformation" about Newburyport that's been spreading around Everett. Residents who live near the Everett-based Wood Waste company — which is owned by William Thibeault, the same man who owns the New Ventures landfill-capping operation at Newburyport's landfill — are suffering from the same noxious stench that permeates the Crow Lane landfill. That stinking pile in Everett is supposed to be shipped to Newburyport, but operations at the landfill here have been shut down due to ongoing violations by Thibeault's company.

Thibeault's associates have been telling Everett people half truths, if not outright lies, about the reason why that stinking pile is stuck in Everett. They blame it on Newburyport, but they conveniently fail to point out that New Ventures has broken the agreement it has with Newburyport again and again and again over the past five years.

They seemed poised to recycle that same tired excuse at a hearing in Everett last week, a meeting that was intended to cast light on how the Wood Waste site's problems would be fixed. But the Newburyporters who attended the meeting set the record straight.

"They had no idea what we're going through," said Bill Woodbury, who lives near the Newburyport landfill.

It's clear that the sharing of experiences put things in the right perspective. When Thibeault's lawyers referred to him as "the victim," people laughed.

This "misinformation" scheme stinks as bad as the Crow Lane landfill.

The bigger question for both communities is this: Why is this business allowed to cause so much misery and public nuisance? Negotiations and attempts at reconciliation seem to go nowhere with Thibeault and his company.

Any citizen who caused so much misery would surely find a small army of public officials knocking down their door. Perhaps they'd even find themselves in the lock-up for a night or two. How often have you heard stories of people whose houses are raided, pets confiscated and criminal charges are pressed against for possessing a bunch of cats they failed to properly care for? Yet we have a company that is causing frequent physical malady to humans — including nausea, nosebleeds and headaches — and there's nothing to be done but "negotiate"?

Both communities ought to work together to put the squeeze on this operation and force Wood Waste and New Ventures to act like a responsible company.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am grateful for the private citizens and the councillor in Newburyport who cared enough to make this trip and take time away from their personal lives. They did it to help us and if they need our help I'll be there. To bad ward 1 elected officials had nothing to say.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  3:07:32 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least all three councilors from ward 1 showed up but not the Alderman.
Go to Top of Page

Cam

82 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Nuzzo get a campaign donation from Thebault?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:19:13 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excerpts from a Boston Globe article.

Thibeault gave $500 in 2006 to Everett Ward 1 Alderman Frank Nuzzo for his unsuccessful run for state representative. Thibeault's Wood Waste facility is in Nuzzo's ward.

$1,500 - was donated last year to Carlo DeMaria, an alderman who was elected mayor in a hotly contested race. No other Everett candidates received money from Thibeault last year, the records show. DeMaria was the only mayoral candidate to publicly back Thibeault's latest development plans in Everett.

Thibeault, who is not an Everett resident and has several New Hampshire addresses, said critics are taking his campaign contributions out of context.
"I donate to a lot of political events throughout the state that I like and that I believe in," Thibeault said. "I believe in Carlo DeMaria. He is a gentleman who can bring a lot of positive developments for [Everett]. I liked what his vision was and what his ideas were, and that's what I wanted to support. That's my right to do that."
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:21:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NUZZO got more than Galluccio. He even donated to BIG MOUTH Ranieri.........don't tell me there isnt anything to that, and, the way Ranieri has been acting like a JERK to Simonelli. Simonelli even tried to help him on his Best Buy Sign. Maybe Ranieri can call Thiebault.

08/08/2007 Thibeault, William J. 85 Boston St. Everett, MA 02149 $300.00 Owner Wood Waste Galluccio, Anthony D.

$500.00 DEMOLITION COMPANY WOODWASTE OF BOSTON Nuzzo, Jr., Frank

05/17/2002 Thibeault, William 1690 Revere Beach Parkway Everett, MA 02149 $100.00 Ranieri, Anthony

Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  4:35:46 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That might explain why Nuzzo and Ranieri did NOT attend the Public Meeting.
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's only the"reported" contributions.

"Cruller DaHville"
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:33:40 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly get your drift!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2