Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Mr Thibeault will be mentioned by name at the BOA meeting, instead of the "developer." It is important for the viewing public to know who this developer is.

It will be interesting to see if Mr Thibeault is in the audience so that he is available to answer questions from the BOA.

Edited by - massdee on 05/27/2008 08:44:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  08:58:51 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was at Stop & Shop on Sunday, the one next to Woodwaste and I will tell you, what a disgrace! Not just the stench (the stench is still overwhelming) but the litter all over the place and the covers on the fence are all hanging off. It’s just a total disregard to the neighborhood. You would think this man would do the right thing when he's trying to get something done that he wants but that shows you the person we are dealing with. He has already been fined for polluting the Mystic River Water I can’t even imagine what he will do to the area on lower Broadway. Despicable.

Go to Top of Page

Marie

114 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile Send Marie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is really disgusting what little regard Thibeault has for the city of Everett. We can see what he has done on Boston Street with a smaller site, just imagine what he will be able to do with a much larger site down on Route 99.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  11:50:13 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been following the links and keeping up with this news that has potential environmental health hazards here in Everett and it is unlikely he will show his face in the Everett City Council Chambers this evening as they are preparing for him in Newburyport also.

Taken from Newburyport news,

Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Landfill on Council agenda

I just got word that the landfill is on the agenda for tonight's City Council meeting. Every last stinky bit of it.

OK, it's an agenda item.

We have been generating some chatter on the Everett Average Citizen forum, here. People in Everett are suffering somewhat more than we here in Newburyport because our city officials are all over the landfill owner.

Or were. I'm still worried that some kind of deal has been struck.

Someone, I forget who (it may have been Mary Eaton) advised marching on the State House to get some real action against this Thiebeault guy. And never forget that New Ventures, LLC, is the company he set up to do business here. He can walk away at any time.

It's not in his best interest to do so at this time (Why should he? He's making mega-bucks off disposing of questionable materials for the state.)

Tonight, 7:30 p.m. Be there, or watch it on local access cable, channel 9.

Stop Mt. Stink from getting even higher!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  2:10:33 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an article I found in the Newburyport News, William Thibeault. It's about the owner of Wood Waste here in Everett.

Owners want embattled landfill to accept more waste
By Stephen Tait
Staff Writer

NEWBURYPORT — New Ventures, the company that owns the embattled Crow Lane Landfill, is set to ask the City Council Monday to allow more material to be dumped at the site as part of efforts to cap the landfill this year.

"New Ventures is looking to bring more volume into the landfill," said Brian Derrivan, the Ward 5 city councilor.

Under the 2002 Host Community Agreement, "they need to come to the City Council and ask for the council to look to allow them to bring in more volume," Derrivan said.

The landfill, which over the past five years has risen to the size of an impressive hill off Low Street, has been the center of a battle involving neighbors, state officials and the city. Disgusting smells and the company's failure to stick to its operating agreement have led to cease-and-desist orders and threats by the state to take over the capping operation at New Ventures' expense.

In a letter to the council, New Ventures' attorney Richard Nylen said the company is requesting an audience with the council at its 7:30 p.m. meeting Monday. It says the appearance is "to take the steps necessary to cap the landfill this calendar year."

Refuse at the site must reach a specified capacity before a sealing membrane can be placed and other capping operations can be carried out. Increasing the incoming volume of waste would speed reaching that target.

Derrivan, who said he couldn't provide too many details because the city is in negotiations regarding the site, said the request from New Ventures comes at a time when the company also is negotiating with the state's attorney general and Department of Environmental Protection to develop a plan for capping the landfill.

City officials are not involved in those negotiations, and a deal between the company and the two state agencies — if one has been struck — is not yet public information.

Derrivan, whose ward includes the landfill, said the city is not privy to much of what is going on at that level. But city officials, including Mayor John Moak, have said an agreement between the parties is due at any time.

In the end, though, Derrivan said whatever the two state groups decide with New Ventures, the city has the last say on volume amount and also "we have the luxury, if need be, to issue a cease and desist order.

"But we don't want to go there if we don't have to," Derrivan said.

Derrivan said New Ventures is likely coming to the city before signing a deal with the state.

"New Ventures doesn't want to sign an agreement with state unless there are assurances from the city," he said.

Amy Breton, a spokeswoman from the attorney general's office, would not comment about negotiations.

For the past half decade or so, the Crow Lane Landfill has proved a contentious issue in Newburyport, largely because of the sulfurous smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches that often disrupt the lives of neighbors. The smell is caused by rotting gypsum boards dumped on the site. Residents who live nearby complain of headaches, runny noses, sore throats and many ruined days of potential outdoor recreation.

The city and state have fought to remedy the smells through tighter regulation but continually run into problems with New Ventures and its owner, William Thibeault, who refuses to speak to The Daily News about the problems at the site.

Throughout the years, the city has fined Thibeault thousands of dollars for failures to abide by the rules at the landfill, including a recent incident in which officials suspect New Ventures purposely shut down a flare that burns off the most offensive of the smells.

Derrivan said the most recent request is a move in the direction of the city's goal, which is to cap the landfill.

"It is one of three steps of trying to get some agreements signed and the capping continued and finished, and that is the ultimate goal," he said.

"But there is definitely more to discuss."

Edited by - massdee on 05/27/2008 2:14:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These comments make me sick and if our city council just sits back and does nothing, then I have no more respect for any one of them and I don't want to hear that it's out of their hands because it's not. They are the lawmakers and the elected officials and they have say as to what goes on and most important they can not conveniently forget that the BOA passed an ordinance to prevent this from happening. I am so sick of this administration finding loopholes to get around ordinances that are there for a reason but the second the average Joe breaks an ordinance, you have a fine on your door. If this administration does not follow the rules then none of us should either, they should do away with them.

For the past half decade or so, the Crow Lane Landfill has proved a contentious issue in Newburyport, largely because of the sulfurous smells of rotten eggs and burnt matches that often disrupt the lives of neighbors. The smell is caused by rotting gypsum boards dumped on the site. Residents who live nearby complain of headaches, runny noses, sore throats and many ruined days of potential outdoor recreation.

The city and state have fought to remedy the smells through tighter regulation but continually run into problems with New Ventures and its owner, William Thibeault, who refuses to speak to The Daily News about the problems at the site.

Throughout the years, the city has fined Thibeault thousands of dollars for failures to abide by the rules at the landfill, including a recent incident in which officials suspect New Ventures purposely shut down a flare that burns off the most offensive of the smells.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  4:33:14 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe there will be someone in the audience to represent Mr Thibeault, that the BOA could ask questions to.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  4:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ECTV tonight at 7:00pm. If they had ratings I am sure they would boom tonight.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  6:04:26 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting poll on Topix.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  8:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you really believe that 200+ people actually read and write on that forum? I don't. I also do not agree with the outcome of the votes.
Our Mayor has young children in this city as well as most of us and I do not believe he would put us as well as our children in any danger.
Go to Top of Page

EverettsPride
Advanced Member

1140 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  07:02:11 AM  Show Profile Send EverettsPride a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lynda, I have to say I am shocked that you would say that. Are you referring to the Thiebeault mess? Google his name and see for yourself what a horrible business man this guy is. Research what is going on in Newburyport. They have a mess on their hands and Thiebeault could care less about doing what is best for the community. The Mayors Mansion must have an air filtration system in it, if he is not concerned about his own children.

Sally
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:13:39 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last night, did I hear the Mayor say he has been in favor of Wood Waste relocating to lower Broadway for the past three years?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:18:43 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what happened in Newburyport last night. It will be in the Mayor's best interest to put that property back up for bid like he said, if he can.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Landfill lawyer addresses City Council
Well it's all for naught because there is a special public meeting scheduled for next Monday, in which a formal presentation will take place by Richard "Chip" Nylen, attorney for New Ventures, LLC.

The special meeting was set for Monday, June 2, proposed time 7 p.m., pending being officially called by Mayor Moak. All Nylen did tonight was formally submit the letter which you can read here, if you haven't already.

Five citizens stood and spoke against amending the host community agreement that the city entered into with New Ventures while a clearly engaged Nylen idly gazed out the window.

Just to recap, New Ventures is saying they need to truck more materials into the landfill in order to proceed with capping and permanently sealing said pile. They are appealing to the city, which they have screwed over at every opportunity, to amend the host community agreement.

Not sure why the City Council did not tell Nylen to get New Ventures to stop thumbing its nose at the city and send him packing tonight. I guess the mayor wants to give Nylen the opportunity to state his case, some time other than as soon as possible, which is what Nylen asked for in the letter.

As Ron Klodenski, who is on the ad hoc landfill advisory committee, said to Council, once NV ships all the materials they have been contracted to dispose of into the landfill, there will no longer be a financial incentive for the company to actually cap and seal the landfill as agreed.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:36:33 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails,

The city does not own the property down on lower Broadway. Last night the Mayor said he does not know who owns it???? If Mr Thibeault is not the present owner, I hope the present owner rethinks selling this property to Mr Thibeault, especially since the Mayor said there is someone else interested in that property. That could be a win, win situation. No Wood Waste relocation, thus forcing Boston Street to be enclosed, and the Mayor wouldn't have to deal with this issue for his re-election. That solution would appease many residents.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:43:33 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on last night's meeting in Newburyport.

Newburyport: Council puts off landfill request to special meeting
By Stephen Tait
Staff Writer

NEWBURYPORT — The City Council last night did not act on a request from the owner of the Crow Lane Landfill to allow more trash at the site in order to cap the dump.

Instead, councilors plan to schedule a special meeting next week to take up the issue.

And five Newburyport residents — who all have followed the evolution of the problems at the landfill for the past half decade — asked the council to proceed with caution before signing any agreement with New Ventures, the landfill's owner and operator.

Jim Stiles, a former mayoral candidate, said New Ventures is "the worst business operating in the city at the moment." He also referred to recent comments from William Thibeault, the company's owner, saying Thibeault has threatened to sue the city for materials it dumped at the site before New Ventures took control.

"That's a pre-emptive lawsuit that seeks to intimidate the city," said Stiles, a Strong Street resident. "I don't believe this is a time for the city to be timid."

In a letter to the council, New Ventures' attorney asked the 11-member group to allow the company to dump more material at the site as part of efforts to cap the landfill this year. Under the 2002 Host Community Agreement, New Ventures must get council approval for more volume.

The landfill, which over the past five years has risen to the size of a hill off Low Street, has been the center of a battle involving neighbors, state officials and the city. Disgusting smells and the company's failure to stick to its operating agreement have led to cease-and-desist orders and threats by the state to take over the capping operation at New Ventures' expense.

To cap the landfill, New Ventures must do several things, said Ron Klodenski, a neighbor and chairman of the city's ad hoc Landfill Committee.

Those steps include making an even grade of the massive pile, installing piping, covering the landfill with sand and an impervious liner, and covering that with soil that allows vegetation to grow.

While New Ventures' plan to do that has yet to be revealed, Klodenski said New Ventures likely wants to bring in more material since that generates its cash flow, and money is needed for the capping. New Ventures is expected to unveil the plan at the special meeting.

"They need revenue in order to take these steps," Klodenski said.

Richard Nylen, New Ventures' attorney who spoke briefly at the meeting last night, said in the letter that the landfill is already 50 percent capped.

New Ventures is also negotiating with the state attorney general and Department of Environmental Protection to develop a capping plan.

But the city is not part of those negotiations, and Newburyport officials say they don't know what to expect from those deals.

Mayor John Moak said special meetings are called rarely to take care of serious city issues, but one is needed to deal with New Ventures' request. The meeting is likely to be at 7 p.m. Monday at City Hall, but the official posting is not yet complete.

"It will be a major issue," Moak said .

The city and state have fought to remedy the smells through tighter regulation but continually run into problems with New Ventures and its owner, Thibeault, who refuses to speak to The Daily News about the problems at the site.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2