Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  7:15:18 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are not unique, I also sign my name to every email I send to our elected officials. What you call bashing is people expressing their opinion.

Edited by - massdee on 05/30/2008 7:16:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we taking "Jason Marcus's " word for gold? First of all, I think these "unsigned letters" he spoke of are highly exaggerated. What about all the unresponsive e-mail's that have gone out? You know that's it's fear of political backlash and that is terrible to live that way. No one should have to live that way and the way this administrations bullies people, to me it's criminal and hardly anyone in this administration comes from Everett. We are the ones that live here and have to live with the fallout.

Jason was speaking of Woodwaste which is a huge concern to the entire city. All you have to do is a little research to see the type of man we are dealing with so I would not call that bashing. Everything that has been said concerning Woodwaste has been backed up by facts. There is no defense for this man and why any Mayor would want to burden people with him, is beyond me. Go talk to the Board of Health. They could not control Woodwaste in 2006 in a small area and he wants to enlarge it? Conveniently a campaign supporter of Carlo's that does not even live in the city???? Yea right.
Go to Top of Page

scamore

105 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  05:00:57 AM  Show Profile Send scamore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERETT
SMELLY SITUATION - Following months of complaints about odors emanating from the Wood Waste of Boston facility off Revere Beach Parkway, the Board of Aldermen is sending a certified letter to company owner William Thibeault asking him to attend the board's next meeting at 7 p.m. on June 9 in City Hall. City Clerk Michael Matarazzo said that several months ago, acting on the board's request, he sent a letter to Thibeault about ongoing odor issues. "His lawyers wrote back and said, essentially, there is no odor, and it's not coming from us," Matarazzo said. Odor complaints are not new to Thibeault, who also owns the Crow Lane Landfill in Newburyport, where city and state authorities have issued violation notices and fines for odor and other problems. The Everett aldermen also will probably ask Thibeault about the status of two other parcels of land: the old City Yards on East Elm Street that has been the focus of litigation between the city and Thibeault; and a 32-acre parcel near Thibeault's facility on the parkway that has been eyed for development. -Kay Lazar
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  09:21:16 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what this piece of business on the BOA's agenda will do to Councilor Simonelli's piece, about a public hearing on Wood Waste, on the agenda for this Monday night.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  09:43:37 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"There is no odor, and it's not coming from us."

I would liked to see the actual letter because the city clerk's quote is too funny.

I believe that Simonelli will be asked to put his piece on hold until the outcome of the BOA piece is known. Also, I don't believe the City Council could force Wood Waste to attend a public hearing without having some basis for it in law; I doubt that they would come foward voluntarily. I think that the Board of Health would be a better avenue for getting Thibeault to a public hearing. However, if it went to BOH, the subject matter would probably have to be restricted to the Boston Street site, venturing outside it only as it pertains to how and where his enclosed facility will be built.
Go to Top of Page

outoftowner

24 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile Send outoftowner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the usual sequence a la Newburyport..

1 There is no smell. Prove there is a smell.

2 If there is a smell, it is not from me. Prove it comes from me.

3 If there is a smell and it is coming from me, it is not harming any one. Prove it is harming someone.

4 If there is a smell and it is coming from me and it is harming some one, it is not my fault. It is because of (fill in the blank -- State of Mass, city of Everett, a few discontented residents). Prove it is my fault.

5 If all the above is proven to be true, give me something I want and I will take care of the problem.

These five steps will play out over and over again unless we deal with it now.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the fact that the residents that reside around Woodwaste and Crowlane ALL have the same sickness? They have all complained of sore throats, burning eyes, nose bleeds and he continues to sit back for years and say to them….nana nana boo boo…….too bad, I have the money and I can pump anything I want in the air because my money says so.

I cannot for one second even imagine that I was running a business that was harming other people and just let it keep continuing but he is doing it and you have to realize what will happen on lower Broadway if he is allowed to move this there. It will be a disaster with the increased trucks and all there toxic waste and we already know he could care less about dumping in the water and correcting his problem.

The Mayor was sooo arrogant too when Chuck DiPerri told him Mr. Thibeault would have a problem because there is an ordinance in place preventing a facility like this going on lower Broadway. The Mayor came right out and said “he’ll go in front of the zoning board” Again, this is this administration’s ways to get around ordinances that are put in place for a reason and find loopholes especially for the wrong person!
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, why in no one asking about the litigation he has with the city of Everett. There are so many unanswered questions and this is why you have to have an open public meeting. Newburyport is watching all this and they are shocked at the lack of interest from the City Council. Jason Marcus made more of a big deal about receiving letters than the actually situation at hand. So what if he’s receiving mail?? That has nothing to do with these issues.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  9:19:53 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well put from Newburyport…..

Everett vs Woodwaste/Newburyport vs New Ventures

This e-mail was sent to their council and we should be very interested in how it plays out and not let this happen here. At first Thibeault will promise it will only be a small amount then everyday it will increase and before you know it, this is what we will face.

Hi Neighbors,

This new landfill agreement letting the owner bring more construction trash to Newburyport and increase truck traffic to 70 loads a day is on the fast track. If you miss Monday night's meeting (June 2, 7:30 pm at City Hall), this train will blow right by you and we'll all be living with the consequences forever more.

I understand an agreement has already been discussed and drafted and it's essentially ready for signoff by the city council. Agreeing to this increase would be a mistake. How many times in the past have the lawyers (including the lawyers at the state attorney general's office) assured us our troubles will be over if we just sign this last agreement. We all know, first hand, what these agreements crafted behind closed doors are worth to the people who must live with the results.

Better show up Monday night.
Go to Top of Page

kimmy

32 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  3:21:31 PM  Show Profile Send kimmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I followed one of the urls to look at Newburyport & they are having a town meeting on Sat. over this and they had an exective session that was not legal about NV They said he left bad messages for the health inspecter, has always ignored orders and previous agreements and deliberately shut off the flame that burns off the toxic gas coming out of the landfill as retribution. They said what the frack is going in Newburyport I would say what the frack is going on in Everett even talking about this. He should be stopped on a state level.

Edited by - kimmy on 06/02/2008 3:25:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  9:36:25 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how that meeting is going in Newburyport tonight. Will have to read their blog later.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Everett is mentioned on the blog below.

The folks in Everett are watching

For those of you tuning in from Everett looking for local landfill updates, you can also read about our landfill on other local blogs - here (Tom Salemi) and here. The latter, The Newburyport Blog, has a lot of history since Mary has been blogging longer than most of the rest of us.

Tom has a nice chronology of "events" that he posted today.

I'll be at the meeting and posting as soon as I get home.

Edited by - massdee on 06/02/2008 10:15:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  9:54:51 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He will not be stopped on a State level because he makes it easy for the State. He takes everything and anything and the cities and towns he takes this from are happy. They get rid of it, it out their hands and in the blood of the people that have to live near his pits because he can’t follow the guidelines or do the right thing like have an enclosure and he’s proven this and when the State finally gets around to send him letters, he has the money to tie it up in court for years and the State is always overwhelmed and can’t do anything. The only option is not to let him get any further into Everett and do any more damage, which he will if he gets lower Broadway.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:04:24 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Newburyport's elected officials are beginning to cave in to Thibeault. How much should those residents endure.

Edited by - massdee on 06/03/2008 09:05:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me that Newburyport may have had a possible illegal executive session (I'm sure money was involved) and New Ventures/Woodwaste said "we will do this and that and pay this deficit but I'm increasing truck loads....blah blah blah) which Thibeault is going to make 100 times more than what he's promising that city. The bottom line is the residents will continue to suffer and they are being sold out. Lets take a lesson from this and not let this happen here. Our children and grandchildren will be the ones to really suffer his wrath.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  5:03:51 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please read the following carefully, it could be exactly what the city of Everett is heading for.

The Daily News

Newburyport: Residents to council: Don't give in on landfill
By Stephen Tait
Staff Writer

NEWBURYPORT — The message from residents was clear: Do not bow to the requests of Crow Lane Landfill owner New Ventures to bring in more trash to the site, but instead stand up and fight.

At a special City Council meeting last night, councilors considered a request from New Ventures to add more material to the landfill in order to cap it by year's end. The details of the additional amount are unclear, Chip Nylen, New Ventures' attorney said, but it would likely be around 70,000 cubic square yards and increase traffic of dump trucks to 70 per day.

But despite emotional testimony from about a dozen residents — and some harsh words from some councilors — the City Council did not vote on the matter and instead said they needed time to consider new details about an agreement, which is not public, between New Ventures and the state's attorney general and Department of Environmental Protection.

"We deserve not to be rushed so we can make the right decision," Councilor Kathleen O'Connor Ives said as the meeting came to a conclusion.

But at least one other councilor said he wanted to vote right then.

Councilor Tom O'Brien said he wanted to vote, especially after becoming angry after hearing about how some residents who complained about the smell of rotten eggs and burnt matches resonating from the dump were deposed in Boston courtrooms by New Ventures.

"Are we going to vote on anything tonight?" O'Brien asked toward the end of the meeting. "I've about had it."

He continued about the deposition of the residents: "That to me is disgusting. I'm ready to vote. I'm ready to vote no."

For almost a half decade, New Ventures and the landfill have caused headaches for the city and neighbors, in many cases quite literally. The smell resonating from the dump — the result of decomposing gypsum from construction and demolition debris — has made life miserable.

Bill Woodbury last night said his 11-year-old son has been robbed of five years of his life because of the hydrogen sulfide that causes the smells. He said it's led to bloody noses, lost sleep and loss of productivity for many adults.

"My family, my neighbors and everyone in the city has had enough," he said.

The meeting started with the council voting to go into executive session, during which the public must leave the room. Council President James Shanley said the meeting was to consider "strategy with respect to litigation."

After the executive session, Nylen then made a presentation about what New Ventures is proposing to the city. He said he is not asking for the council to approve any particular amount of volume but instead a final plan that would allow the company to cap the landfill.

Nylen said the increased volume would not add to the height of the landfill. In the end, it would be about 121 feet tall, he said.

He said the company is before the city again because it must get approval for the plan before it signs the deal with the state departments to cap the landfill. City Council Ed Cameron said the state seems to be shooting for December for the final capping.

"We believe we've come close to an agreement with the commonwealth," he said.

But Nylen's proposal didn't win over any residents.

"I plead with you, do not add anymore volume," said Brenda Reffett, a neighbor of the landfill.

Terry Berns, another neighbor, added later: "Please, don't let their threats get to us."

Ron Klodenski, another neighbor, said the only reason New Ventures is looking for more material is because of unexpected costs from the landfill that came only because they broke the rules they first agreed to with the city in the 2002 Host Community Agreement.

He said he understands "a gun is being held to your head" referring to a threatened lawsuit by New Ventures, but added that "if you don't stand up to them now ... it will never end."

"If you don't face them now, they are going to come back for more," he said. "So please, just say no."

Jim Stiles, a Strong Street resident and former mayoral candidate, said that "New Ventures has made fools of us all." He said the council should reject the proposal.

"The only way to do it is to fight the fight that must be fought," he said.

Councilors also had strong words.

"I for one think that if it is time to draw swords, I think the time is now," Councilor Tom Jones said. "That is my disposition."

Councilor Ed Cameron said that while "I think we would all like to stick it to them," there must be time to consider all information.

"This a case study on how a company ought not to operate."

In his comments, Nylen said he understands that Crow Lane is not a popular place in the city.

"I know this is an unpopular landfill," he said to laughs.

"I don't enjoy having to come up her and get my head bashed in," he continued. "It's not fun for us either. But we need to finish this landfill off."

He also said there are reasons for New Ventures to stick to their promises: "Well, there are three million of them." He went on to explain that only if they close the landfill can they get back $3 million given to the state to provide for the cost of closing in the event New Ventures does leave.

But Klodenski says that is exactly what he thinks will happen. He said once New Ventures stops bringing in material — the way it makes money — that they'll leave. He said they've already made enough money.

"They're gone," he said.

Edited by - massdee on 06/04/2008 5:08:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2