Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Announcements
 Com Council/2009
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  05:11:11 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

I agreed 100% with Steve Simonelli. He may go ballistic at times but he sincerely cares about people and his heart is in the right place. He tries, sometimes too much, but he tries and that means more to me than the ones that just sit there, and go along to get along. If he is elected on the Board of Alderman, he is donating his pay to veterans services and that says a lot for someone's character.

Wait a minute......... I thought city employees could only legally receive one paycheck? If that's the case, there's nothing altruistic about him "donating" his pay to veterans services.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they do, look at Sergio Cornelio. That's my understanding anyway.

Who abides by laws anyway? Just look at Joe Hickey, and now Frank Nuzzo. He resigned, and his Rec Center director position starts July 1. What happened to MGL laws that states to wait six months?

Too bad he didn't publicly announce it, is as he should have to people that supported him through the years. Why so sneaky?
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a couple of questions................ Why do sitting councilman/alderman resign their seat to take a city job if city employees are allowed to be elected to these positions?

And, on the same subject.............. If state law says a person has to wait 6 months after resigning from the council/board to take a city job, why are employees allowed to be elected?

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Would someone help me out please?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  11:24:00 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the source of all of this would be MGL 268A, Section 20, fourth paragraph which is reproduced below:

"This section shall not prohibit an employee or an official of a town from holding the position of selectman in such town nor in any way prohibit such employee from performing the duties of or receiving the compensation provided for such office; provided, however, that such selectman shall not, except as hereinafter provided, receive compensation for more than one office or position held in a town, but shall have the right to choose which compensation he shall receive; provided, further, that no such selectman may vote or act on any matter which is within the purview of the agency by which he is employed or over which he has official responsibility; and, provided further, that no such selectman shall be eligible for appointment to any such additional position while he is still a member of the board of selectmen or for six months thereafter. Any violation of the provisions of this paragraph which has substantially influenced the action taken by any municipal agency in any matter shall be grounds for avoiding, rescinding or cancelling the action on such terms as the interest of the municipality and innocent third parties may require."

I'm guessing but I would think that the thought process is that if some who works for the city ran for elected office, the fact that they held a city job already that fact would be well known. If the voters decided that it would be appropriate for that person to also hold an elected position, that would be OK. Unfortunately, I don't believe that this is always the case in Everett though; for the most part, I wasn't aware that some elected official also held a city job until I started reading this board.

As for why Everett politicians who receive an an appointment either ignore the six month rule or are always able to get a waiver of the rule, I can't get my head aroung that one. Never have, never will. And I'll leave it there because I don't know what more I can say about it and it's the one single issue that has caused me the most grief on this board.
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  9:56:04 PM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From above:

"The mayor thanked the members for attending and he also made them aware that there would be other things that he would be calling them back for over the summer even though they are on recess."

I don't know about anyone else but I find this statement frightening.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:04:38 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by socks

From above:

"The mayor thanked the members for attending and he also made them aware that there would be other things that he would be calling them back for over the summer even though they are on recess."

I don't know about anyone else but I find this statement frightening.

Why is this frightening? Should city business stop because these people want two months off?

This is one time I agree with what he's doing. I didn't elect them with a term of 20 months. Did you?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not agree with taking the summer off. They are paid for 24 meetings. Anyone of them can say we are available and call us on the phone, it's not the same thing. Try getting a reply.

I know I cant take two months and work from home, that's for sure.

In any event, my opinion on that statement was money. The only reason the Mayor would be calling them back in the summer is if he needs a transfer or to approve money.

For what?? That's the million dollar question.
Go to Top of Page

socks

39 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  06:53:07 AM  Show Profile Send socks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Justme, I agree that City Government should not take summers off. They are elected for 24 months and should meet for 24 months. The FY10 budget went into effect yesterday and I cannot for the life of me understand why money would need to be transfered or approved. That is what I meant by my statement.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:17:41 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because we started the new fiscal year yesterday, it didn't occur to me you were concerned with money transfers............ If that starts this early in the year, the state needs to step in & identify that the budget book should be used for toilet paper!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:30:13 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they start looking for money this early, I hope our city council learns how to say NO.

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

Cruller DaVille

148 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  01:16:53 AM  Show Profile Send Cruller DaVille a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charmin, it is!!!!!

"Cruller DaHville"

Edited by - Cruller DaVille on 07/04/2009 01:17:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REGULAR MEETING OF THE COMMON COUNCIL, TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2009, 7:00 PM, CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS, CITY HALL, 3RD FL., EVERETT

COMMUNICATIONS FROM HIS HONOR THE MAYOR

C0136-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That, in order to reduce interest costs, the Treasurer, with the approval of the Mayor is authorized to issue refunding bonds pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 44, Section 21A or any other enabling legislation to refund all or a portion of the remaining amounts of the City's $1,745,000 Municipal Purpose Loan of 1996 dated September 15, 1996 and $16,108,000 School Bonds dated December 1, 2000; that the refunding bonds shall be issued in an amount not to exceed $11,500,000 in order to pay the principal, redemption premium and interest on the bonds to be refunded, and costs of issuance of the refunding bonds; that the Treasurer is authorized to execute such documents as may be necessary or desirable to carry out this transaction, including a refunding escrow agreement with a bank or trust company; and that the Treasurer is authorized to file an application with the Municipal Finance Oversight Board to qualify under Chapter 44A of the General Laws any or all of the bonds and to provide such information and execute such documents as the Municipal Finance Oversight Board may require for these purposes.

C0137-09  Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To designate Carolyn Lightburn as a special municipal employee in accordance with M.G.L., Chapter 268A, Section 20 (b) for the purposes of elections conducted by the City for 2009.The Everett Office of Human Services employs Mrs. Lightburn. This designation is needed for her to be employed as a poll worker, while continuing to be employed by the Office of Human Services, in order to avoid a violation of M.G.L., Chapter 268A, Section 20.

C0138-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To designate Theresa Shalsi as a special municipal employee in accordance with M.G.L., Chapter 268A, Section 20 (b) for the purposes of elections conducted by the City for 2009.The Everett Board of Health Department employs Ms. Shalsi. This designation is needed for her to be employed as a poll worker, while continuing to be employed by the Board of Health, in order to avoid a violation of M.G.L., Chapter 268A, Section 20.

C0139-09  Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $2,500.00 from United Road Towing Inc. to the Mayor's Office of Community Development #28-3590-WW. This donation will be used by the Community Development Office to support the Beautification Program.

C0140-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $10,000.00 from Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. to the Mayor's Office of Community Development Grant Account 28-3590-GJ. This donation will be used by the Community Development Office to support the Boys and Girls Club of Everett.

C0141-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $15,000.00 from Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. to the Mayor's Office of Community Development #38-3590-WW. This donation will be used by the Community Development Office to support the Beautification Program.

C0142-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Paul Joseph DiPierro to the Mayor's Office of Community Development #28-3590-WW. This donation will be used by the Community Development Office to support the Beautification Program.

C0143-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $500.00 from the Sterling Suffolk Racecourse LLC to the Mayor's Office of Human Services - Everett Council on Aging Gift Account #28-3590-GF. This donation will be used by the Mayor's Office of Human Services to support the Everett Council on Aging.

C0144-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from Michael H. Kelly to the Everett Police Department Donation Account #28-3590-LN. This donation will be used by the Everett Police Department to supplement their donation account.

C0145-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $800.00 from Target to the Everett Police Department Donation Account #28-3590-LN. This donation will be used by the Everett Police Department to supplement their donation account.

C0146-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from The Vietnam Veterans Association to the Department of Veteran Services Gift Account #28-3590-YC.. This donation will be used by the Everett Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

C0147-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from The Vietnam Veterans Association to to the Department of Veteran Services Gift Account #28-3590-YC.. This donation will be used by the Everett Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

C0148-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $65.00 from Mrs. Helen Ragucci for the sign that was placed in honor of her husband, Cosimo Ragucci, to the Department of Veteran Services Gift Account #28-3590-YC. This donation will be used by the Everett Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

C0149-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $65.00 from Mr. and Mrs. David Dickson to the Department of Veteran Services Gift Account #28-3590-YC. This donation will be used by the Everett Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

C0150-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
To accept the donation of $100.00 from The Vietnam Veterans Association to the Department of Veteran Services Gift Account #28-3590-YC. This donation will be used by the Everett Veteran's Department to supplement their gift account.

C0151-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the Chief Procurement Officer is hereby granted permission to accept and dispose of the following equipment in a sale: 1989 Ingersoll Rand Compressor, 1987 Ingersoll Rand Compressor, 1978 Ingersoll Rand Compressor , 1997 Ford Crown Victoria, 1992 Ford Crown Victoria, 1999 Ford Crown Victoria, 1999 Chevrolet Pick-Up, 1999 Ford Crown Victoria, 2004 Ford Crown Victoria, 1998 3 cubic yard spreader Flink, and 1970 Essick Asphalt Roller with Trailer.

C0152-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
Order for a Home Rule Petition that would authorize the City of Everett to create an Inspectional Services Department.

C0153-09 Order/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello, as President
That the City of Everett by and through its Mayor and City Council, vote to petition the General Court to enable legislation to impose linkage fees on certain commercial and multi-dwelling properties.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

C0048-09 Ordinance/s/Councilors Millie Cardello, Peter Napolitano and Sergio Cornelio
Rules & Ordinances Committee Report-To amend Chapter 13, "Offenses and Miscellaneous Provisions" of the Revised Ordinances of the City of Everett by adding new Section, as follows: “Section 13-23 Sex Offender Residency Restrictions." This Ordinance would regulate the distance a Level 3 sex offender can live from a school, park, or day care center; no quorum present, the meeting adjourned at 7:00 p.m.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS

C0106-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Board of Health go to each elderly complex in the City to explain the bed bug issue and that they give out dated materials or information on this to the residents of 381 Ferry Street, Glendale Towers, as there have been many complaints.

C0111-09 Resolution/s/Councilor John Leo McKinnon
That the Chief of Police increase patrols in the Glendale Square area on weekends during the hours of 10:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. due to recent activity in that area, and a number of complaints on Ferry Street, Timothy Ave, 381 Ferry Street-Glendale Towers, and Walgreen's parking lot areas.

NEW BUSINESS

C0125-09 Resolution/s/Councilors Cynthia Sarnie and Lorrie Bruno
That the Mayor appear to discuss the 7 Acres Park / GE Property in response to previous request of a dog park or looking into possible other locations, due to many requests from dog owners.

C0127-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio Councilor Lorrie Bruno Councilor William Cardello and Alderman Robert J. Van Campen
That the Traffic Commission consider extending the "No parking here to corner" sign on Moreland Place, at the intersection of Bradford Street, in an effort to have a sign placed at that location due to weekly complaints of having to call the City Yard to get the waste removal completed, and the concern of Residents in the event of a fire and not being able to get fire apparatus onto Moreland Place. This has been an on-going problem for over three years and these residents need assistance as soon as possible. Numerous complaints and calls to the Police Department have failed to assist them, as I have had to call the City Yards to have waste removal retrace their route to that location on numerous occasions, and I do not want to see any lives or property lost in the event of a fire and fire apparatus not be able to get onto Moreland Place, God forbid!

C0126-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Peter A. Napolitano
That the Fire Chief appear to give the Common Council an update on the current status of all fire engines/apparatus owned by the City of Everett, such as age, condition, service status and projected service life.

C0128-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello
That the Traffic Commission repeal the one hour parking on George Street, an ordinance that has been on the books since 1957, at the request of residents.

C0129-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Millie J. Cardello
That Peter Pietrantonio and Frank Nuzzo appear this meeting, Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 to discuss the graffiti ordinance and the removal of graffiti.

C0130-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Rosa DiFlorio, Councilor Cynthia Sarnie and Alderman Sal Sachetta
To revisit the trash ordinance and the fees for trash.

C0131-09 Ordinance/s/Councilor Millie Cardello, as President
Ordinance updating the list of fees in the City Clerks Office.

C0132-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
That the Traffic Commission consider installing a red light in the vicinity of the Keverian School on Nichols Street, to slow down the traffic, in the interest of the safety of the children for the new school year, due to neighborhood concerns and concerns of the School's Administration.

C0133-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
That the metal barrier on Lawrence Street, opposite Fremont Street, be reapired or replaced with request for response back on matter next meeting, as this is second request.

C0134-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
To request an update (4th request) in regards to the snow emergency light at the corner of Malden Street and Nichols Street, which was ok'd by the Mayor with free cash. Response requested next meeting.

C0135-09 Resolution/s/Councilor Lou Sierra
Request City Engineer give an update next meeting on the prior request for sidewalk on Lower Mt. Washington Street, on the odd side, as they are still waiting.

C0154-09 Common Council Worksheet
Pursuant to Rule 17 of the Common Council, all resolutions requesting the repair, replacement or maintenance of pavement, sidewalks, traffic signals, signage, playground equipment, or other similar requests, shall be placed on a separate worksheet and voted on collectively at the next formal session, and, if passed, referred to the respective departments for their response back to sponsors.
1.Sponsor: Councilor Rosemary Miller-To repave entire length of Stevenson Ave
Referred to: Mayor DeMaria, City Services and City Engineer.
2. Sponsor: Councilor Lou Sierra-To repair the driveway at 15 Fremont Ave.
Referred to: City Services
3. Sponsor: Councilor Lou Sierra-To fixes lights at the Horace Mann Playground.
Referred to: Wire Department
4. Sponsor: Councilor Lou Sierra-To monitor and patrol the Horace Mann Playground after 9:00 p.m. due to gangs of kids disturbing the peace.
Referred to: Police Traffic Division
5. Sponsor: Councilor Lou Sierra-To trim the trees at 95,97,99 and 101 Reed Ave, at residents request.
Referred to: City Services
6. Sponsor: Councilor Catherine Tomassi Hicks-To replace the stop sign at the corner of Prescott Street and Tremont Street, it is faded. Also to monitor speeding at request of neighborhood.
Referred to: City Services Sign Division and Police Traffic Division.

Adjournment

Respectfully submitted: C. McCorry, Everett City Council Office, council@ci.everett.ma.us

Scheduled Meetings:
9/14, 7PM-Aldermen,
9/15, 6PM-B & A Committee,
9/23, 7PM-Council,
9/28, 7PM-Aldermen.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  3:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone explain item #1 in layman's terms?

"Deb"
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  10:57:07 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This "article" that appeared to today's Leader-Herald (it actually appears to be a press release;an almost identical piece appears in this week's Advocate) should help Massdee.

Mayor seeks relief On long term debt

As the summer recess comes to a close, the Mayor is continuing his effort to stabilize the city’s long-term finances. Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. will present legislation to the City Council on September 8th authorizing the administration to refinance the city’s debt.

With the current state of the national economy producing competitive interest rates, the city has an opportunity to save needed dollars. “This is a long term planning tool,” says Mayor DeMaria, “we have, old debt, and the interest rates are good right now, so our advisors suggest it’s time to re-finance.”

Once the order is passed, the city will be in a position to take advantage of competitive interest rates. Although he could not quote an exact figure, the Mayor expects significant savings. “Our advisors are essentially telling us to be ready,” says Mayor DeMaria, “have all the paperwork in order so we can take advantage of the best opportunity.” The Mayor invited representatives from First Southwest Financial, the City’s outside bond advisors to attend the September 8th meeting.

He Mayor was also quick to point that this is an opportunity that the city can reap larger savings. “We’re lucky to have a strong foundation,” stated Mayor DeMaria, “this is an enhancement to work the numbers in our favor, opening doors for projects as the economy gets better, and to keep us fiscally on track.”
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  4:43:32 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it’s a great thing that the city is refinancing some debt to save some money. I’d like to know if the savings is going to be accomplished through lowering the rate or extending the term of the borrowing though.

That said, I would have preferred something like this to be addressed before the budget was set. The budget that was voted on will now contain more money to pay off these obligations that will be needed under the new terms. Since the tax rate isn’t set yet, the money could be cut out of the budget; but we know that won’t happen. Instead the money will likely be used to fill a portion of the hole left by the huge cut to local aid. One has to wonder if this refinancing would have even been on anyone’s radar if it wasn’t necessary to address this shortfall. And just when is a complete plan to address the shortfall going to be put forward?

4. /6. /7.
Given the emphasis that the administration has placed on beautification, it’s good to see that they are still able to raise money for it. It’s not that I’m against beautification; it just occupies a different place on my priority list.

As we found out the last time, under state law, no one is supposed to lose their job as a result of the creation of an Inspectional Services Department. So I guess this move is more geared to creating operational efficiencies than anything else; nothing wrong with that. But as always, we’ll have to just wait and see.

Any ideas about what types of linkage fees the city is looking to impose? Without any further details, it just seems like the city is making itself a tougher and tougher place to run a business all the time.

Most likely a holdover from before the summer recess. Let’s hope that it’s a very long time before we ever see another committee meeting cancelled due to the lack of a quorum.

Let’s hope that the bed bug issue at elderly complexes has been cleared up by now.

I haven’t heard much about a lot of trouble in the Glendale Square area this summer. I’m not sure that because there hasn’t been a lot or I’m just not hearing about it though.

I know that some dog owners may be interested in a dog park but again it’s not something that I feel needs to be that high on the city’s priority list. In regards to the 7 Acres Park / GE Property, I believe that the issue of access to the area needs to be addressed before spending further money down there. If you live in other area of the city than the Village, you don’t really have adequate access to the area.

I get that the people on Moreland Place are having a problem and this piece needs to be on the agenda so that it can be sent to the Traffic Commission. But, this is an instance where I believe that there’s too much information for the piece on the agenda. The discussion belongs in committee.

What does the fact that an item regarding the status of all fire apparatus appears on these agendas on such a regular basis really telling us?

The graffiti issue does seem to be getting worse again. And no one really seems to be in a hurry to clean some of it up.

I’m not the least bit surprised too see issue of the trash ordinance and the fees for trash on this agenda after the changes that were instituted earlier this summer. I am surprised that Joe King’s name isn’t on the piece however. I understand that something needed to be done to address the issue quickly. But I’m not sure what was done really addressed the real issues. I think that some additional work on these issues is in order.

“Update” more fees? I’m assuming that means increases. Without any details, it just seems like another trip to the taxpayer ATM.

I’d need more information about exactly what kind of light is being requested. And if one school gets one, why shouldn’t all of them?

30. /32.
If every issue in the city that someone was waiting a reply on appeared on the agenda, these meetings would last all night.

It won’t go away! Yes the light was approved but I believe that the Mayor was looking for an appropriation to fund it. Sorry Councilor Sierra but that piece of it never happened.

Didn’t really expect there to be a worksheet this meeting. I thought that these types of problems were going to be taken care of by cell phone calls from the beach this summer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2