Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 City Hall
 Trash Ordinance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hearing from a good source that this is the trash ordinance that the city council will be voting on July 18th.

Watch how quick these barrels get stolen. All we will be doing is making it more easier for the trash company that does a lousy job. The company throws barrels all over the street anyway, so when someone grabs mine, I have to pay for replacement??

I still cant get over the fact this administration goes and signs a 5 year contract knowing all the complaints about Capitol, but never negotiates those complaints into the contract. I hope this FAILS. Fees, fees, fees and if people are not putting trash in barrels now, then code enforcement should be doing their jobs and hit them up with a HUGH fine for repeat offenders.

Hit these offenders in the pocketbook hard then they will never do it again, and the absentee landlord will make sure their tenants do the right thing.

Instead, the whole damn city has to pay the price.

Here are pictures of the eyesores we may have.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Medford —

Do you know how much your green, city-supplied trash barrel is worth? Neither did Medford officials, who were shocked last week to find out that residents have to pay $60 for replacements.

Medford City Council members were surprised to learn that residents are being held accountable for the replacement cost of their trash barrels, in the event that they’re unaccounted for. While no resident has been hit with the $60 fee as of yet, councilors have taken a stance against the fine.

Just two weeks ago, one resident was concerned he could be the first in Medford to pay for a replacement barrel after his went missing. He came in front of the City Council March 8 to air his grievances.

Although his barrels turned up shortly thereafter and the matter was settled, councilors remained heated, returning to the issue March 15.

“How do you make the taxpayer be responsible for buying a barrel when in fact you’re already charging them [through taxes]?” asked Councilor Robert Penta. “I don’t think that’s right. Anybody who loses a trash barrel should not have to pay for it. Personally, I think that the Medford taxpayers are going for a ride when it comes to this rubbish.”

Director of the Department of Public Works John “Jack” Buckley explained that once a report of a misplaced barrel is received by the DPW, Waste Management is notified and the barrel is sought out by city and trash crews.

“What we do when we get a report is we investigate it,” said Buckley. “We work with Waste Management to see if the cart was put in the wrong spot or if we can find it on the street. Waste Management usually has their route guy go out and take a look. We’ve discovered several barrels that have been in the wrong place [that way]. The policy is that people put in their due diligence and we try to find it first.”

Buckley hopes the city and its residents will become more acclimated to the new trash program over time and take care with their barrels. He also noted issues tend to arise at a more frequent rate when expansive initiatives are first introduced to residents.

“Like any new program, you’ll have your initial shakeup period,” he said. “No matter what industry you’re in. We’ve gone through a very trying winter. I expect things to go a lot smoother. We’re into the process now and out of the initial distribution phase. We’re looking for the program to really reap benefits for the city now.”

Councilors, however, seemed at odds with this particular stipulation in the trash contract.

“I hope nobody has had to write a check for a replacement barrel,” said Councilor Mark Arena.

Copyright 2011 Medford Transcript. Some rights reserved

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There should be a public hearing. Enough of the blowhards voting making decisions.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we sure that this going before the city council at their next meetings? I thought I heard the Mayor say at one of the ward meetings that he was planning to get feedback from residents before doing anything else. If it does go to the council first, I would suspect that one of the bodies would refer it out to committee as it appear from the article above there probably are issues related to it that need to be hammered out.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

Are we sure that this going before the city council at their next meetings? I thought I heard the Mayor say at one of the ward meetings that he was planning to get feedback from residents before doing anything else. If it does go to the council first, I would suspect that one of the bodies would refer it out to committee as it appear from the article above there probably are issues related to it that need to be hammered out.

That's the word, but we know how things can change once it's "out there"
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  10:50:45 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it ain't at the july 18 meeting then it will be in september after listening to him at all the wards meetings this is his number one goal in everett another committee to be put toegether, I say just do it he is going to follow medford and get the trash off the streets (i.e. the green bags) everything should be in a container anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  1:13:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree that everything should be in containers, but there are issues that need to be worked out. First off, Capitol is getting it very easy here. We are last pickup when we have always been first. They are slobs that leave trash lines on the street and throw barrels all over the place. This makes it much easier for them, not us. It's bad enough we have those recycling brown eyesores, now this too? And most important, I pay for this service through taxes, so I'm not going to pay for a barrel when mine goes missing or gets stolen. It does not matter if they are coded either, people around here are that low, that they steal them, just to steal them. I'm not paying $60.00 (or any agreed upon amount that the proposal calls for)...for a new barrel. It's not right that the people that do the right thing always pay the penalty. I still think this is not a good idea, and if we have trash issues....then code enforcement should be doing their jobs and maybe raising the FINES for the ones that do not use barrels. Raise the fines for the continued perpetrators, and you will see how fast they put trash in barrels. I've never seen anyone come forward to raise those type of fines. That's what needs to be done.

I have two large barrels from Lowes and always have a lid on the trash.

What are people supposed to do with those old barrels? Capitol will not take them as trash... and I'm not having all these barrels on the property. If this goes through, they need to dispose of old barrels. I also agree on the public hearing. There's a lot of questions that residents should be able to bring forward.
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  08:43:54 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many homes don't have room for the recycling barrels as is now there going to add these? (for the record I do support recycling)
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  10:58:37 AM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Increased recycling will lower solid waste disposal costs.
*Requiring a property owner to pay for additional solid waste containers will shift the cost of waste disposal off of the average homeowner and on to the property manager that pays little or no attention to the waste created by their tenants
*Having all of the waste inside a closed container will reduce the amount of trash on our streets

Seems like 3 problems solved with one solution. While I agree that some of the concerns raised thus far are important, none of them (IMHO) should prevent the program from being implemented.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong, at first glance I am not against this. I will make my final decision after I know more of the facts. I thoroughly agree with our ongoing recycling program.

There are plenty of "average homeowners" who happen to own more than one home in this city, live in the city and takes care of their properties. They are already being whacked by the residential tax exemption. They or any other homeowner should not have to shoulder the burden of stolen containers. Who will be responsible for the replacement of a container damaged by the trash company? We all know how they throw receptacles around. Or when they leave them in the middle of the street and they get hit by cars.

Most of us can't afford to have any added expenses added to our plates.

If these kinks could be worked out before implementation, it just might work.

Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  5:36:42 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bottom line, what is the initial start up cost for the city?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  12:22:51 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cozulady

Bottom line, what is the initial start up cost for the city?

You are right, cost should be the bottom line.
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  5:11:02 PM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although it should be a factor, the cost shouldn't be the bottom line. We need to think of tomorrow and not today. I have asked several questions to various city employees and there will be a public hearing, and several other steps before a final decision is made.

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to think of tomorrow when so many are struggling today. Cost needs to be a major factor. Spending needs to be cut until the economy turns around. For now, we should only be spending money on what is needed and not spending money on what is wanted. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  10:13:00 AM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on the start up cost, we could use money from the Stabilization Account. Just a suggestion. Any thoughts?

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we are going to use the stabilization fund, it should be to hold the line on taxes. Hopefully this will go before the CC and BOA and give them and the public the chance to see what it is all about.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:13:03 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since one of the goals of this initiative would be to reduce the expenses in the solid waste disposal line item, wouldn't it make sense to take the money (or at least some of it) from that line item. Of course, that would depend on a number of factors such as the expected start-up costs, the expected payback rate and time period, how expeditiously the program could be rolled out, etc.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2