Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 General Discussion
 Leader Herald
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there were five Everett Veterans that applied for the position, three were on the Common Council and two who were not in politics. I can totally understand our Veterans living in Everett wanting an Everett person in that position.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether I am a Vet or not is irrelevant. I do have a vested interest and I know that laws are written for a reason. To have a total disregard to the law, especially this issue, shows the character of the person making the decision. There has been too much of that for the past six months.
Go to Top of Page

JoeSister

33 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  10:05:22 PM  Show Profile Send JoeSister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails you don't really believe that do you?

No Doubt about it change takes time, there is no instant gratification. I don't think there was as you put it "total disregard for the law" I think the process just took this long and in reality 5 months is not that long of a time, the hiring process has to work, post the job interview, 2nd interview, talk to the Vets change your mind pick someone from Everett make the offer salary discussions, job acceptance, during this time the Mayor also has to run the city, even though this is a high priority other things slow it down. The budget process, emergencies and trying to fix the street sweepers. Thank you for looking out for all of us veterans for the past few months, but now there is a new VSO please give him a chance to help us.
Go to Top of Page

jcklla

32 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  08:30:46 AM  Show Profile Send jcklla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The veterans were being well taken care of by the former veteran's rep. There was no reason to create all the disruption that was done by this now obvious political decision.
Go to Top of Page

JoeSister

33 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile Send JoeSister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there a disruption? I am unaware of any vet that did not get the services he needed are you? Did the city fail to provide any services that were requested by veterans? The Mayor gave credit to the VSO's assistant for keeping the office running during the hiring process, I don't think the city missed anything.

I have no doubt if there any incidents worth talking about it would somehow find it's way to this blog.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Gone are the days," he said, "when the city employees are hired because of their acquaintances instead of their qualifications."

“DeMaria said he interviewed 17 candidates and decided one from outside the city was the most qualified, but then found that "everyone" he consulted said he should choose an Everett resident.”

Who did he consult? The three Everett councilors that are veterans that applied for the position?? He did not hire the most qualified for an important position like this?

What about the Everett Veteran that just came back from Iraq who probably needed a job? Was he not qualified enough with today’s war going on. I would think he would have been perfect, not to mention new blood up there which is needed.

Blatant disregard to the law.

He must be resigned from his POLITICAL seat for 6 months PRIOR to accepting the position.

You must be logged in to see this link.

When did the city council approve this appointment per MGL?

This has nothing to do with Joe Hickey personally, it’s the Mayor that does not have a clue what’s going on, between his actions on this matter from the beginning to the city solicitor then on to the Budget Director/Purchasing Agent (which I doubt will appointed........conflict of interest yet again) then on to the Personnel Officer (which is essential) and someone needs to Audit the budget director/purchasing agent, especially his bidding procedures. They are being very phony to the city council and I hope they are not buying it.

I’m done on the Veterans issue. It’s in the hands of Secretary Thomas Kelley.

Edited by - Tails on 06/20/2008 11:32:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeSister

33 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  2:18:17 PM  Show Profile Send JoeSister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I am hearing from you that you have a problem with the Mayors decision on who he choose, well after looking at all the other post you have made on this blog maybe you should change your name from Tails to the Angry One you don't seem happy about anything the Mayor is doing, you complain about everything. It almost seems like you have something personal against the Mayor.

Well Happy Trails Angry One.

Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quotes from the Mayor that appeared in this week's Leader-Herald were part of a press release according to an article in the North Weekly section of today's Globe. The Globe article contained the same quotes as well, attributing them to a press release.

It appears that the admininstration is finally getting the point that they need to do a better job of explaining some of their decisions. Now, they just need to get out in front of the issue rather than dealing with it after the fact. That will go a long way to quieting down some of the chatter that we engage in out on the boards because we don't know any better; then we'll just be talking about whether we believe it or not. Oh, well!
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the end of the "article" about the new War Memorial in today's Leader-Herald, I found the following tidbit:

"Both projects were specifically designed with green and sustainable measures. The school should receive a one-time rebate nearly $350,000 in electric and natural gas rebates in its first year of operation."

(Excuse the poor English; I only repeated what was printed.)

So, who should these rebates go to? There's the money needed to build the school's ECTV studio. Yeah, I know; I'm dreaming.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone get a Leader-Herald delivered today? Not that's there's much usually in it worth note.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't, I figured it had something to do with the weather.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  8:20:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one I know got it.
Go to Top of Page

scamore

105 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile Send scamore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I THINK THE LEADER IS IN TROUBLE, SECOND WEEK IN A ROW THAT THERE IS NO PAPER, WONDER IF HE OWES A LOT OF MONEY TO THE PRINTING COMPANY OR THE DELIVERY COMPANY
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ours came on Friday last week; thought it was due to the downpours Thursday morning. Don't know what the issue could be this week. Should be getting paid plenty for all the foreclosure notices that are in there every week.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  12:33:52 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard something about a new printer. Must be working out kinks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2