Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 News Articles
 BOSTON GLOBE
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  12:30:22 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter how good some things seem, sometimes there is a big price to be paid for someone's generosity. Is a waste transfer station on Broadway worth it? I don't think so. That would be a step backwards. Our city council has tried very hard the past several years to change the face of Everett. I am sure a waste transfer station was not part of their vision.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  1:03:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I misunderstood something. I asked Carlo DeMaria right out if a Waste Facility was going down on lower Broadway and his response to me was there will not be a dump going down there. Does anyone know if there is a difference between a dump and a Waste Facility? From what I understand (I could be wrong) is the Waste Facility holds the trash until the trucks come and take it away to a dump. I personally, think of a Waste Facility and a dump as the same. I will not accept a Waste Facility because we do not need two and if Thebault has yet to deal with the issues from the facility on the parkway, what would be the guarantee about lower Broadway not to mention we have enough trucks in Everett tearing up and polluting the streets.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  2:41:56 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitions of Waste facility on the Web:
* any premises used for the storage, treatment, reprocessing, sorting or disposal of waste.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Web definitions for dump
A land site where wastes are discarded in a disorderly or haphazard fashion without regard to protecting the environment. ...
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  3:04:20 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Web definitions for Waste Transfer Station
This is a site to which waste is delivered for separation or bulking up before being removed for recycling, treatment or disposal.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  3:04:38 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I think the Mayor will stick to his word. Getting a 10,000.00 donation for the victims fund from Thebault worries me a little. This is another wait and see however I know this is something that will never pass the common council or board of alderman.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  4:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it have to go before the city council or can it be a done deal without ever reaching the council chamber? I don't know, I'm just asking.
Go to Top of Page

H1ghCh4r1ty
Advanced Member

967 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  5:43:29 PM  Show Profile Send H1ghCh4r1ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thibeault is not someone with a kind heart. He has screwed the City by not building the facility he was supposed to, and no one has taken issue over that.

He has royally screwed the people of Newburyport with the land fill fiasco.

He is not a nice kind man who helps communities.

That ten grand gesture for the fire victims and the political paid support will, unfortunately, get him what he wants in Everett.

This guy does nothing without knowing all the possibilities of his actions.

Thibeault is a vicious opportunist and we can only hope that Carlo will stand up to him.

That will be the true test of Carlo's mettle.

You are right Tails, we will all have to wait and see what happens.

The Pup and Emile Schoeffhausen

Cam

82 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  5:09:37 PM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I have been told TeeBow went to McGonagle first, when he told him no, he went to DeMaria. From where I stand, TeeBow owns DeMaria. Wait and see TeeBow will get everything he wants.
Go to Top of Page

michael

195 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  6:15:13 PM  Show Profile Send michael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A first vote to treasure
In Everett, a new US citizen originally from Peru says that when he votes on Tuesday, he'll consider the economy, his children's education, and the future for his fellow immigrants
By Katheleen Conti, Globe Staff | February 3, 2008

Abel Salazar has had a momentous year.

Since last February, the Lima native and Everett resident applied for his US citizenship, became a father for the second time, and was sworn in as an American citizen.

On Tuesday, Salazar plans to vote in the state's presidential primary, his first election as an American.

Salazar admits he did not pay too much attention to local or national politics prior to last year, focusing instead on his job and family. It wasn't until he applied for citizenship that he began to immerse himself in all things political.

"I didn't even know who our mayor was, and I thought I'd better find out in case it was a question on the citizenship test," he said in his native Spanish. After taking the oath Aug. 15, "Immediately, I went to City Hall and I registered to vote."

Talking politics is now part of his daily life, including conferring with his colleagues at the restaurant chain in Chestnut Hill where he has worked for 11 years, working his way up from a $6-an-hour dishwasher to an assistant manager.

"I listen to people at work, Americans, Hispanics, Puerto Ricans, who've always been able to vote, and they seem to prefer the Democratic Party, while others like the Republicans," Salazar said. "For the most part, they say that the Democrats are more sympathetic to immigrants and that the Republicans tend to be more discriminatory toward them. I know from my own experience that some immigrants here are discriminated against."

The election process here, with the debates and the advertisements, is new to Salazar.

"It's very different here. They don't paint the public walls or create these massive signs, like they do over there," Salazar said. Peruvian politicians "would paint the walls, sometimes to campaign for themselves and other times to insult the other candidate. I prefer the way it is here."

It's not just the American political process that Salazar favors, but also the quality of life. In Lima, Salazar was broke and lived around violence.

In 1995, then 20-something, he was on his sixth year of working security at the Central Reserve Bank of Peru, trying to make a living in a country with a fragile democracy and an even more brittle economy. Despite working 12 hours a day, six days a week, Salazar was barely getting by.

"The money just didn't stretch," Salazar said. "I was single, but I couldn't even buy myself a pair of sneakers."

He estimated he earned the equivalent of $100 a month. By contrast, the United States was enjoying low unemployment rates and a growing economy.

"My sister moved here in 1994, and she would tell me that there were more job opportunities, like housekeeping or dishwashing," Salazar said. "So I left it in God's hands. I decided to go and hoped it would work out well."

On March 28, 1995, Salazar arrived in New Jersey, where he spent a week before moving to Everett, where he now resides with his girlfriend, 3-year-old son, and 8-month-old daughter.

"I wanted to become a citizen so I could vote and so I could get a job to provide for my family," he said.

Salazar has taken into account what his friends and colleagues have told him and, like most Americans, is asking himself whether he is better off today. While most pundits equate the Latino vote solely with the issue of immigration, Salazar said there is more that concerns him and other Latinos than just that.

"I think I'm going to vote for a Democrat," he said, maybe "Clinton's wife," referring to Senator Hillary Clinton. "I noticed that during Clinton's terms, the country was in much better shape, as was the economy. The problem with the country now, which has hurt President Bush, is the war."

Salazar said he is looking forward to having a say in voting for policies that will benefit the Hispanic community, particularly so that, "all the Hispanics living here are given the opportunity to obtain their documentation." And although he hasn't fully dismissed the possibility of someday moving back to Peru, it won't happen any time soon.

"Now I have my kids, and I want them to get a good education here," he said. "More than anything, I'm excited about voting for the well-being of my family. Now I have a voice."

Katheleen Conti can be reached at kconti@globe.com.
Go to Top of Page

OuttaHere

58 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:08:09 AM  Show Profile Send OuttaHere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ONLY relevant phrase in the above blather....."HIS GIRLFRIEND AND BABY".....who's feedin' da kid....Look In The Mirror!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  09:24:48 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Keverian

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW. I had no idea Mr. Keverian was that ill. Youville Rehabilitation in Cambridge is a really great place and I wish him the best.
Go to Top of Page

Lynda
Advanced Member

1282 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  1:06:28 PM  Show Profile Send Lynda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope that the former Mayors doings didn't do anything to put him in that state. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. God Bless.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  2:43:48 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure what Hanlon pulled after the election didn't help Mr Keverian's condition. I hope he recovers quickly and Carlo rethinks Hanlon's decision.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2