Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Who's Running
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  09:56:12 AM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alderman at large. Santagate also has papers out for that too.

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

Everett Businessman

2 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile Send Everett Businessman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everett's Unequal Tax Burden

This link connects to an article that appeared last month in the Boston Business Journal. It is a must read for any Everett taxpayer, whether they are residential or commercial. If this doesn't emphasize the need for change from this lackadaisical administration which is hurting the Everett economy, I don't know what else would.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  11:57:31 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Everett Businessman

This link connects to an article that appeared last month in the Boston Business Journal. It is a must read for any Everett taxpayer, whether they are residential or commercial. If this doesn't emphasize the need for change from this lackadaisical administration which is hurting the Everett economy, I don't know what else would.

Thank you for posting the link. I cut and pasted the article for those who would prefer not to log in to read it. It is a must read and an eye opener.

Municipal tax rates vary widely across Massachusetts

Premium content from Boston Business Journal - by Craig M. Douglas

Read more: Municipal tax rates vary widely across Massachusetts | Boston Business Journal

The community of Everett has long positioned itself as the city of pride, progress and possibilities, but it is fast becoming the city of PO’d property owners with its sky-high commercial tax levies, far and away the highest in the Bay State.

For fiscal 2011, Everett’s commercial tax levy is $43.74 for every $1,000 in assessed property value. To put that in perspective, that rate would require the owner of a $1 million building to pay the city $43,740 in annual property taxes. That same property’s tax bill would only be $29,300 in neighboring Revere; $23,680 if it was to Everett’s north in Malden; and $22,980 to the west in Medford.

At nearly three times the state median of $14.90, Everett’s commercial levy seems to be testing the old adage that, in the long run, businesses care little about property taxes and instead are most concerned with location. To be sure, Everett’s proximity to the ocean and access to Boston are frequently cited amenities among the city’s business owners.

Interviews with some local business leaders and property owners confirmed as much; property taxes are simply an unavoidable cost of doing business in their desired locations, they said. However, others said they’ve had enough.

“This place is going to be a ghost town,” said John Ventura, co-owner and manager of Everett Square Sporting Goods, which owns its 14,000-square-foot building at 427 Broadway. Ventura’s family has owned the building for decades and is facing a 2011 tax bill of over $33,000.

“All of the commercial property owners are up in arms. It’s so irrational,” he said, adding that he’s considered a potential move for his 63-year-old business. Ventura said similar discussions are percolating throughout the city’s business district.

Dan O’Neil, president of the Everett Chamber of Commerce, confirmed as much and said the view from his offices at 319 Broadway speaks to the city’s challenges ahead. “I look out my window and all I see is properties for sale,” said O’Neil, who doubles as a lawyer with Silverstein & O’Neil LLP. “People are selling things not because they want to but because they can’t afford it.”
Things are likely to get worse before they get better.

Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria Jr. said the city’s costs are comparatively low when factoring in all of the free services offered to taxpayers. He said that’s all about to change, with new fees slated for everything from trash pickup to water. He said the goal is to eventually lower the city’s commercial tax rates.
“We subsidize everything through taxes. We’re no longer going to do that,” said DeMaria, a two-term mayor and small business owner with Honey Dew Donuts franchises in Revere, Winthrop and East Boston. He said he’d love to open a new store in Everett but has yet to find a suitable location.
DeMaria conceded that even with new fees assessed on services, it will take some time for those revenue benefits to ripple through to the city’s commercial tax rate. He said residential rate payers have suffered as well through falling home values.

Barbara Anderson, a tax scourge and founder of Citizens for Limited Taxation, said Everett’s distorted rate exemplifies problems in place long before the 1980 passage of Proposition 2 1/2, which essentially capped property-tax increases in Massachusetts. In fact, the law grew from the business community’s frustration over being taxed at higher rates than those levied against residential property owners, she said. Other cities and towns in similar positions include Springfield ($38.97 commercial rate), Framingham ($37.11), Holyoke ($37.08) and Worcester ($34.65). Boston ranks 12th statewide at $31.04.

Many towns and cities, including Everett, kept a so-called “split rate” levy after Prop 2 1/2 passed, whereby commercial-property owners are taxed at higher rates to keep residential rates more affordable. For example, Everett’s residential rate is $15.89 for every $1,000 in assessed value. The state’s median residential rate is $13.56.

“It’s a sloppy way to run a government,” Anderson said, adding that budget problems frequently arise during recessions, when commercial property values tend to plummet. She said she is aware of a handful of instances whereby commercial levies were lowered after “local business communities got organized.”

“But unfortunately, business groups are primarily chambers of commerce, and they’re completely worthless. They’re part of the problem,” she said.
Everett’s assessed property values dropped 20 percent between fiscal 2008 and 2010, while property-tax collections spiked 14 percent to $75.8 million. Spending on schools and public employee benefits, the city’s largest expenses, rose 11 percent to $89.3 million in the same two-year period.

Read more: Municipal tax rates vary widely across Massachusetts | Boston Business Journal

Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  3:27:12 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Everett Businessman

Thanks for the link ...and thanks to Tails for posting the entire article.

To Everett Businessman, I have a question. What would have been an acceptable tax rate for you?
Go to Top of Page

Everett Businessman

2 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2011 :  8:33:18 PM  Show Profile Send Everett Businessman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with paying my fair share but after 3 years of tax increases & the Mayor telling businesses that we don't elect him in, I'd be happy if some effort was made to hold the line. Business is bad enough without the City taking more & more and giving nothing back. If long established businesses leave because it's too expensive to do business here, how do you replace them with new business? If it involves tax breaks, that just increases the burden on the rest of us.
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  09:34:11 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RICHARD DELLISOLA RUNNING C.C. WARD THREE CARLO STACKING THE DECK WANTS MILLER OUT.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  2:39:56 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why her? Isn't she doint her job for the residents of the ward? Do you think she will be the one knocked out?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  3:03:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cozulady

Why her? Isn't she doint her job for the residents of the ward? Do you think she will be the one knocked out?

I don't think she will be knocked out, and she shouldn't. Carlo doesn't like anyone that dares to question him and unfortunately, the majority of the rest of the CC are bought and paid for with jobs, spouses have jobs, contracts, committees, etc. It's disgusting, and those are the ones that now decide to keep their mouths shut and it's okay for budget increases, etc. So now because favors are being done..... THE TAXPAYERS THE TAXPAYERS..... all take a back seat. That's all you heard before - THE TAXPAYERS! When's the last time we heard that??

Anyone that pays attention knows that Dellisola's are in Carlo's back pocket.

Remember - ECTV Director.... Fire Victims Fund, etc, that he gave donated money to a New Hampshire family just because they were Dellisola's. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he did that.

Look at a few other candidates running, you'll figure it out.

So lets keep voting these losers back in, and keep the mob rule mentality. I'll admit that Miller is one of the exceptions. I'd vote for her if I was ward 3.
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  10:45:10 PM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bernard C. Bernie DiNofrio is running, cc ward 4. Will Leo Mckinnon be knocked out? Dont' take it personally, I was just saying cause Rosemary Miller does not play the game. Neither does Leo Mckinnon, I just want people to know Carlo is stacking the deck with his people.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2011 :  11:07:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cathyk

Bernard C. Bernie DiNofrio is running, cc ward 4. Will Leo Mckinnon be knocked out? Dont' take it personally, I was just saying cause Rosemary Miller does not play the game. Neither does Leo Mckinnon, I just want people to know Carlo is stacking the deck with his people.

Are you kidding me?? Who the heck is checking his credentials allowing him to pull papers? He doesn't live in Everett and he's divorced. Is he using Dunster Road as an address??

Not only that, he ran before for the health insurance because he's court ordered to provide it. He showed up for maybe two meetings, then never showed up again. The worst waste of taxpayer dollars in Everett's history as far as being on the city council.

Please tell me this is a joke!
Go to Top of Page

Poli Scientist

52 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile Send Poli Scientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last I checked DiNofrio had papers out for school committee at large. As for Miller, she is just a puppet. She does what ever Peter tells her to do.

Sick of hacks...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bernie's sign says council when I saw unless he changed his mind. Id love to see who signs his papers.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poli Scientist

Last I checked DiNofrio had papers out for school committee at large. As for Miller, she is just a puppet. She does what ever Peter tells her to do.

Sick of hacks...

I know for a fact that Miller has done her own research on many issues. She tries to work with her fellow councillors. Too bad many others can't be bothered to do that.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  9:53:35 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Miller is one of the few who doesn't rubber stamp everything on the Common Council. At least she asks questions and appears to be intelligent. I think I would vote for her if she was in my ward.
Go to Top of Page

cathyk

97 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  09:24:45 AM  Show Profile Send cathyk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And let's not forget Mike McLaughlin running cc ward 6, but his green and white sign are on one city employee house in ward 4, go figure.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2