Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Mayor's Race 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  07:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by massdee

I just watched the tape. It is at Park Plaza.

Thanks for the identification massdee.

Fran, I'm still wondering what makes them the same?
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  08:23:19 AM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Peter's editiorial this week. I only could grasp one thing from it...a forensic audit. I thought the administration conducts an audit yearly. Keep taking advice from Johnny Boy.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Huey

Just finished reading Peter's editiorial this week. I only could grasp one thing from it...a forensic audit. I thought the administration conducts an audit yearly. Keep taking advice from Johnny Boy.

An audit should be done by anyone new coming into a new position. The purpose is not necessarily to find fault but to get a full and complete picture of the current financial. It would not be responsible not to have an audit done and find out later that there was a problem. The trick is to do the audit and get on with the work of the city.
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  10:06:24 AM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is his only plan to conduct an audit?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  10:20:33 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We need a financial audit not a forensic audit.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  10:31:27 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Huey

Is his only plan to conduct an audit?

I think he says a little more in that piece.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Peter Napolitano's commentary too. First off no where in there did he mention a forensic audit. He did mention a full audit. There is a difference. A forensic audit is a witch hunt the other is not.

Other points of interest I took away from the article are, a stronger partnership between the business community and City Hall, to be more proactive instead of reactive, look into all the recent hires that were not budgeted for, review the overcrowding in our neighborhoods and schools, review the revolving accounts and he would like to form a "Community Group" of volunteers from both the residents and business owners to help add some input.

There is more in the piece and when it is available online I will try and post it.

I am really tired of half truths and innuendos.

Edited by - massdee on 10/19/2011 10:49:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran

250 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile Send Fran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was simply trying to say that whether it was the Park Plaza or Sacro Plaza the setting doesn't really matter. It's what Peter has to say, whether you agree or not that matters.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  11:00:36 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

[quote]Originally posted by massdee

I just watched the tape. It is at Park Plaza.

Thanks for the identification massdee.

Justme, nice to see you posting again. I've missed you.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  3:37:59 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I do have some questions about Councilor Napolitano's proposed audit. I do believe that it is wise move to understand exactly what you are getting into when you first take office. But is there any other specific reasons for this audit? Is he talking about an internal audit or an external one? And what kind of changes was he speaking of, something specific or budget changes in general? Of course, the right person to ask those questions to is Councilor Napolitano himself and I'll make sure I do that.

But what the Councilor did tell us for certain is that the audit is not intended to be a "witch hunt". We all know that slapping the word "forensic" in front of "audit" is only meant to bring us back to a very dark period of the recent past. The funny thing about that is even though it is remembered as a "forensic audit", the part of the audit that was actually completed was a normal, albeit, very selective, standard audit that, because of the way it was presented, seemed to place more blame on outsiders than the practices of a prior administration. The forensic piece of it, the examination of the hard drives, was never done, or at least, never issued any results, as far as most of the general public is aware of anyways.

But by focusing on just Councilor Napolitano's op-ed piece, I think that people are overlooking a very interesting piece of information in Mayor DeMaria's op-ed piece on the same page. In reference to explaining why the Planning Board currently has approval for the Waters Avenue development "on hold", his piece contains this statement:

"...We need time to make sure this project fits into the neighborhood, could provide all the amenities similar to what's on the opposite side of the river in Medford and what will be built along lower Broadway: smaller apartments with a pool, gymnasium and recreation room for residents..."

So what this says to me is that the plan for lower Broadway is to build at least some residential housing down there. I laughed the first time that I heard this proposal years ago; I still do today. In real estate, it's location, location, location. Who wants to live right across the street from a power plant, now wedged in between a sludge treatment plant and a wind turbine? No wonder the BOA has been pushing for a moratorium on residential development. Even though the unit descriptions don't sound perfect for it, the only type of housing that I can see this area drawing is Section 8.

See how easy it is to slap a label on something, deserved or not?
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  4:44:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the videos in question. I never heard the word "forensic" audit. An audit would be the responsible thing to do, especially with all the revolving accounts that have been created and also for things like when the city received money for child care, and the mayor went and bought a pot hole machine with that money.....which ended up falling off a truck, not insured, so the 100K went out the window. Terrible accounting procedures.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  5:48:50 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tetris

To be honest, I do have some questions about Councilor Napolitano's proposed audit. I do believe that it is wise move to understand exactly what you are getting into when you first take office. But is there any other specific reasons for this audit? Is he talking about an internal audit or an external one? And what kind of changes was he speaking of, something specific or budget changes in general? Of course, the right person to ask those questions to is Councilor Napolitano himself and I'll make sure I do that.

But what the Councilor did tell us for certain is that the audit is not intended to be a "witch hunt". We all know that slapping the word "forensic" in front of "audit" is only meant to bring us back to a very dark period of the recent past. The funny thing about that is even though it is remembered as a "forensic audit", the part of the audit that was actually completed was a normal, albeit, very selective, standard audit that, because of the way it was presented, seemed to place more blame on outsiders than the practices of a prior administration. The forensic piece of it, the examination of the hard drives, was never done, or at least, never issued any results, as far as most of the general public is aware of anyways.

But by focusing on just Councilor Napolitano's op-ed piece, I think that people are overlooking a very interesting piece of information in Mayor DeMaria's op-ed piece on the same page. In reference to explaining why the Planning Board currently has approval for the Waters Avenue development "on hold", his piece contains this statement:

"...We need time to make sure this project fits into the neighborhood, could provide all the amenities similar to what's on the opposite side of the river in Medford and what will be built along lower Broadway: smaller apartments with a pool, gymnasium and recreation room for residents..."

So what this says to me is that the plan for lower Broadway is to build at least some residential housing down there. I laughed the first time that I heard this proposal years ago; I still do today. In real estate, it's location, location, location. Who wants to live right across the street from a power plant, now wedged in between a sludge treatment plant and a wind turbine? No wonder the BOA has been pushing for a moratorium on residential development. Even though the unit descriptions don't sound perfect for it, the only type of housing that I can see this area drawing is Section 8.

See how easy it is to slap a label on something, deserved or not?

I love how the Mayor explains why the Waters Ave project is on hold. He attended one of the meetings and point blank stated that he was in support of the project--right after the residents of the area expressed their concerns. He didn't care about the residents at all. Then the last meeting, he comes walking from his office with the members and the all of a sudden they put the brakes on the project going ahead as is. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  11:06:52 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the Order from the Alderman's meeting in July:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF ALDERMEN
MONDAY, JULY 25, 2011, 7:00 PM

13. A0131-11 Order/s/Aldermen Robert J. Van Campen, Michael
K. Marchese, Joseph McGonagle, Sal Sachetta and L.
Charles DiPerri, Councilors Peter Napolitano and Rosemary
Miller - In order to address the impacts of residential overcrowding and
its impact on already strained city services, including school-related
services, that the City of Everett enact a moratorium on the issuance of
permits for any new residential development in the City for a period of
one year.
REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SERVICE COMMITTEE
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran

I was simply trying to say that whether it was the Park Plaza or Sacro Plaza the setting doesn't really matter. It's what Peter has to say, whether you agree or not that matters.

Thanks Fran. As I said, I'm a bit slow at times..........

quote:
Originally posted by massdee

Justme, nice to see you posting again. I've missed you

Thanks! It's good to be back.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  10:44:29 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Peter Napolitano has posted two new videos. The first is at Everett Stadium and the second is over at Wood Waste.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2