Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Mayor's Race 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  12:29:32 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out to dinner with friends tonight. They surprised me. They are voting for Napolitano and are voting NO on the Charter. This could end up being a very interesting election. I am really surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  7:55:03 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just driving around the city and making a "master of the obvious" statement. The DeMaria signs seems to outnumber the Napolitano signs at least 10 to 1. I know signs don't vote but thats an awfully large discrepancy. I don't think this election is going to be as close as some people would like it to be. Not really sure why considering how things are going in the City these days. It would be nice to throw a scare into him at least but I don't think its going to happen. I think the chance DeMaria loses is the proverbial snowballs chance in hell.

Edited by - Middle-Man 1 on 10/25/2011 9:32:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  9:25:22 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of Peter's signs have been stolen. Not the usual destruction, but taken from their locations. As many as 30 in a week have gone missing.
Go to Top of Page

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  9:33:42 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if thats the case, I hope they get caught. No need for that type of juvenile behavior.
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see that the Patrolman's, Superior Officer's, and Firefighter's Unions endorsed DeMaria. If I recall correctly, this is the first time since the mid-late 90's the police have endorsed a Mayoral candidate. I really can't see this election being anywhere close.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  2:37:46 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I belonged to a large union that endorsed many candidates that I would never vote for. I don't read much into these types of endorsements, no matter who the candidate is. People will still vote for who they want, not who their unions endorse.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  5:17:21 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby H, did you attend the fund raiser last night or is this second hand information?

I agree massdee but it's still interesting that he has the support of unions that turned their backs in prior elections.

Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mayor's fund raiser? I was unable to attend because I was out of town for a few days. I heard it was very well attended.

I read the Paper today and saw the endorsement press releases. I also think that it reflects on the Mayor's commitment to public saftey. He has been able to avoid any layoffs over these though economic times.

Edited by - Baby Huey on 10/27/2011 5:26:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  7:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Huey

The Mayor's fund raiser? I was unable to attend because I was out of town for a few days. I heard it was very well attended.

I read the Paper today and saw the endorsement press releases. I also think that it reflects on the Mayor's commitment to public saftey. He has been able to avoid any layoffs over these though economic times.

Right
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  9:12:19 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baby Huey

Nice to see that the Patrolman's, Superior Officer's, and Firefighter's Unions endorsed DeMaria. If I recall correctly, this is the first time since the mid-late 90's the police have endorsed a Mayoral candidate. I really can't see this election being anywhere close.

Sure, he's endorsed by a bunch of patrolman and firefighters that do not even live in Everett, but collect a paycheck from Everett taxpayers.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  9:21:52 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong but I thought that last night's fundraiser was a Napolitano event; I thought that the Mayor's fund raiser is next week.

Normally, I couldn't care less who endorses who; it makes no difference in who I vote for. But I will admit that endorsement of a mayoral candidate by the local public safety unions is more significant than most endorsements, at least at face value.

Why face value? The endorsement may have to do with other factors that would never make it into a newspaper article. For example, do you think that the firefighters aren't still pissed at Councilor Napolitano for bring up at a Common Council meeting a couple of years ago that the firefighters have been known to take fire engines to do their grocery shopping for the fire house.

BTW - I'm not interested in debating whether that is a proper use of public safety equipment; I'm just using it as example to illustrate my point that there may be additional factors involved in these endorsements.
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  11:25:45 PM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Peter had a party at the silver fox. It still amazes me that a mayoral candidate had his first party less than two weeks out. DeMaria had a businessmen's dinner at Anthony's as well. DeMaria also has an event scheduled for next week.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  09:33:03 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what happens when you are allowed to stock pile a war chest.

No one else has a shot of having as many campaign events as the one with the war chest. I hope that changes one day, it's unbalanced and unfair. It's my understanding that Peter Napolitano's campaign ran on very little money and you have to give credit to Napolitano going up against someone like DeMaria.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tails, I agree with you. Another example of how Carlo bleeds the people and businesses if this city. The way Peter has run this campaign is more in line with the people of this city. It is the way it always was done here in Everett. Makes me wonder why Carlo needs so much money.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  10:33:38 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at some of the differences in this campaign. Carlo has a high priced machine (PR/Political firm) running his campaign. Peter has long time Everett residents. Carlo has sent out oversized 4-color postcards that are extremely expensive to produce and were designed and created by his PR people. Peter has written and designed his own material, used B&W copies and some hand delivered. Seems to me that one has everything done for him while the other actually is involved. Which person reflects the type of person you want in office. We need to take a realistic look at the differences in the candidates. Regardless of which one is elected to the Mayor's office on November 8, we need to make a commitment to hold the person responsible to work for us and not themself. If we won't or can't, then we only have ourselves to blame for what happens in this city.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2