Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Local Election
 Mayor's Race 2011
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Middle-Man 1

188 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  11:01:47 PM  Show Profile Send Middle-Man 1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cozulady, you seem to talk out both sides of your mouth. I seem to remember on a prior post you implore unions to raise dues and fight against allowing the city to cut costs to save on employee health insurance. Then do a lot of complaining about the DeMaria administration spending driving us into receivership. I just find that odd.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  09:20:57 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of questions....... What does the Finance & the Bills & Accounts committees do? Isn't that where the questions should be asked & problems identified?

According to the city website, bills & accounts meets monthly & they sign off on current warrants. I have no clue what warrants are but apparently there weren't any in January, July or August because there were no meetings listed for those months.

The finance committee has met twice this year. Doesn't look like they have much responsibility so why have the committee?

As usual, I'm probably missing something but there's been a lot of talk lately about checks & balances & the importance of keeping the current bicameral government but I don't see much checking or balancing going on.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  12:08:35 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justme

I have a couple of questions....... What does the Finance & the Bills & Accounts committees do? Isn't that where the questions should be asked & problems identified?

According to the city website, bills & accounts meets monthly & they sign off on current warrants. I have no clue what warrants are but apparently there weren't any in January, July or August because there were no meetings listed for those months.

The finance committee has met twice this year. Doesn't look like they have much responsibility so why have the committee?

As usual, I'm probably missing something but there's been a lot of talk lately about checks & balances & the importance of keeping the current bicameral government but I don't see much checking or balancing going on.

From what I'm told, bills & accounts are somewhat useless and just procedural. They approve payments of bills. I had inquired before about getting each department's monthly accounting, at bills & payrolls and the finance committee. I was told it's not the place for it.

I do agree, there has not been a lot of checks and balances lately with finances, but one thing I do give the alderman credit for is...if it was not for them, stabilization with be nearly depleted right now and lets not forget if it was not for the alderman, we would have a 10 million dollar LOAN to fix part of Beecham (which part of is in Chelsea) but WE are paying for it.... and was never determined who owned the land. I think the alderman got that down to 4.5 million. That was another big rush that had to go through....without giving people ample time to study it. At these times, they did their jobs.
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  12:23:15 PM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right. The Adm. seems to drop items on the CC just before the meetings with no time to review leaving it up to the BOA to do all the research. Could that be because they know they have the votes to pass and hope that it will go unnoticed by the BOA? Many of the items they did that with should have been clearly distributed sooner than on a Friday when it is too late.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  1:26:14 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cozulady

You are right. The Adm. seems to drop items on the CC just before the meetings with no time to review leaving it up to the BOA to do all the research. Could that be because they know they have the votes to pass and hope that it will go unnoticed by the BOA? Many of the items they did that with should have been clearly distributed sooner than on a Friday when it is too late.

That's right...and dropping items on the common council the same evening...AND the CC passing it.......is exactly why the one tier system will NOT work in this city.....not now anyway.

It's going to be much easier for Carlo to get control of one 11 member board...... rather than the current two. Thank goodness we still have the Board of Alderman as an overseer.

We already see the members Carlo has control of on the common council and a couple on the BOA. Between the common council and the BOA, he has control of at least 6 people. There's no question about that.

If we had just one board (like the Charter is trying to do) Carlo could have complete control. That's one reason why I will never vote for this charter. Also, look at the people he has running. It's all to stack the board.

No way should the 4-year term for mayor be in that Charter either. That is a right that is getting taken away from us, so I wont vote for it. I am very displeased with a lot of people currently on the common council..... since so many seem to be in the mayors pocket and are not doing right by the taxpayers. I feel the message to them should come from the voters. If they are unopposed, leave it blank. They will get the message. I know I won't vote for someone in my ward that is useless or in any mayors pocket..........but I still feel the two tier system works. It's too bad those members that are only there for themselves are not given their walking papers by a better opponent.

We have sooo many people living in this city, and I think the common council is good for smaller issues, like parking, snow, noise, speeding....basic everyday complaints. When it comes to the big stuff, like a 10 million dollar loan that gets shoved down your throat.... and told you must vote now on it now....I think the BOA does their job for the best interest of the taxpayers. There are members on the common council that do much more than others, and are there for the residents and the taxpayers. It's unfortunate that a few bad seeds ruin it for everyone but let their constituents/voters take care of them.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I disagree with anything you've said Tails. I just wish the non performers had some competition & the voters were smart enough to get rid of them.

There's too many that do nothing &/or only look out for themselves & that has to change!
Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  07:07:05 AM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just Checked the Office of Campaign and Political Finance's website. Here is the link to Peter Napolitano's finance report.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the mayors campaign finance report.

Go to Top of Page

Baby Huey

95 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile Send Baby Huey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Peter's seems to be from the 1st of the year, whereas The Mayor's is from when the primary would have been. I also noticed Peter only has 1200 dollars left and has 6000 in bills to pay. I find it interesting that he never paid rent and just listed it as a liability.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  08:37:12 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that the thread is about the Mayor's race but here is a link to something that I didn't previously know existed and I think a number of us have been curious about at various times in the past. And since it currently contains information about the mayoral candidates as of EOY 2010, it's probably somewhat appropriate to post here.

Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby Huey, I don't know what you are trying to imply, but at least Peter has filed his report that was due yesterday. Also, there was no need for any candidate to file the report due before the primary date since Everett did not have a primary. As far as why the rent is listed as a liability, most likely because it has not been paid. It is not required to have all bills paid, but they must be listed. You seem to want to suggest that Peter has done something wrong, but you are the one who is wrong. Although there are links to the Mayor's report, those are old ones and not the one due on 10/31/11.
Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  09:43:55 AM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on. What I find more appalling is Demaria paying a high school kid as a campaign manager to ride his scooter up and down broadway making fun of the Navy. He was not making fun of Peter, he was making fun of his cap, which is the Navy, even after an elderly man asked him to stop since he lost two brothers in the Navy. NO CLASS and nice way to blow money. That's what happens when you have too much!
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  10:19:48 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you saying a high school kid is the mayors campaign manager? Isn't that a bit young and maybe a bit immature to be running a mayoral campaign?
Go to Top of Page

cozulady

165 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  10:41:30 AM  Show Profile Send cozulady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the kid and his dad have the same name and it is not specified which one it is.
Go to Top of Page

snoopy1

64 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  10:59:42 AM  Show Profile Send snoopy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can say it's the father all they want, it's the kid. He loves to see his name and start online crap. People feed into him on topix. They are not nice people at all and what the kid doesn't realize is he's done more harm then good. I'd like to know how he got the wireless password at the high school. The principal Mr. Baldi should be aware of what his students are doing during the day on school computers and through his phone but on school servers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2