Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community
 Wood Waste
 Wood Waste
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  1:31:02 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your only hearing what they want you to hear. Mr. Brandano was there for nine years- two administrations- and no troubles. He was approached by Zaniboni concerning a lawn sign and said he doesn't like lawn signs, either do I. All of a sudden he's kicked off the rotary and he even wrote to the papers about it.

So, I am not naive and one thing that is not "factless banter" is Thibeault is nothing short of the devils godfather.

Be my guest and have the last word. Shows character.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This morning I took a ride down to the Gateway Mall and drove behind Costco and Home Depot. You can see the proposed relocation site from that advantage. What I was surprised to see is how close that site is to Broadway and even closer to the stores at the Gateway Mall. You can look directly down Horizon Way and see Broadway.

There is also a couple of piles there that I don't remember seeing at a previous ride down there, looks like a pile of gravel and a pile of reclaimed asphalt.

Edited by - massdee on 09/11/2008 3:56:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  4:26:07 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Pictures of Thibeault's landfill in Newburyport.

Have you even seen these?

You must be logged in to see this link.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but this man has no conscience. I have e-mail correspondence, and spoken with Newburyport residents, and one in particular really tugged at my heart. This man lives near the landfill. Only since William Thibeault has taken over the landfill has his family suffered.

They can not enjoy the peace and serenity that they deserve in their own homes. Their children can not even play outside or ride their bikes. The kids suffer bloody noses and his wife now suffers from migraines. The countless doctors visits are overwhelming, and they are not the only family. There are many more.

Those pictures are exactly what will happen to lower Broadway. If he is allowed to move those waste piles there, on a windy day, those chemicals will blow right into the water. Not to mention the fire hazard of those piles being so close to businesses and homes. I realize that it's the same on Boston Street but I can not, in good faith, get rid of a pompous ass like that and go burden someone else (the residents of lower Broadway)

This man should be forced into compliance not made out to be a saint. What happened to our Board of Health?? All of a sudden they back down? I wonder why?

Those pictures are awful, and he should be forced to TRUCK all the waste from Wood Waste to Ohio. He should cap that landfill and put a cease to his reign of terror in both our cities. Never mind playing with rail spurs. Have him do something right for us for once, not us that have to keep bowing to him because he has money. BIG DEAL that he is clearing out brush on DCR property. That's nothing.

Mr. Mayor,

Take the dollar signs out of your eyes and do what's right for the people YOU took an oath to protect.

You should not be protecting a man that "Manually and intentionally" shut down the device that disperses the odors.

Anyone that votes for this will have his blood on their hands.

Edited by - Tails on 09/12/2008 6:09:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

just wondering

387 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  10:32:50 PM  Show Profile Send just wondering a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think finding the quickest way to get those piles out of Everett is the best solution for Everett. As we all agreed earlier in the week, that is priority number one. Tell me what the downside is of letting him move one pile at a time and not allowing him to move the second pile until the first one is one a train to Ohio? The Board of Health can ask for any stipulations that the city desires....the city can dictate the hours he is allowed to load/unload trucks....the city can require him to cover his trucks during transport...they can require him to spray his trucks down prior to leaving Boston street so there is no debris that can fall of en route to lower broadway....the city can require him to only move "x" amount of piles per day ....the city can require him to only have "x" amount of truckloads onsite at lower broadway and require that it be shipped out prior to any new truckloads are brought in...the city can require him to complete the entire process within "x" amount of months...and the city can require him to comply with all of the above or risk losing the ability to ever move down to lower broadway...what is the downside of that?
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  08:28:41 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see a downside to any of what you've stated just wondering but, if the City does makes such stipulations, who's going to enforce them? Will Thibeault pay any attention?

If you know of a way to ensure the enforcement, please enlighten us. Thibeault has, on numerous occasions, done what he wants, not what he's told. Knowing his history certainly makes the concern valid, don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree getting those piles out of Everett is a priority. Is the quickest way to do it, the best solution? I don't know. As Justme stated, Thibeault has a history of doing what he wants and when the authorities step in to bring him into compliance, he finds a way to retaliate. Plain and simple, he just cannot be trusted to do the right thing.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they even start with lower Broadway, we will have trash on the parkway and lower Broadway. I’m not buying this crap with the trains. It’s an excuse to get him down there, then, he will never leave and never comply. He will tie it up in court and in the mean time, we will have trash on both sites.

Lets not forget there are laws preventing him from doing anything on the lower Broadway site, so, I feel, trains are not the answer. It's an excuse.

He has never showed any good faith pertaining to Wood Waste or getting those piles out of there. He has no intention of showing good faith either, and will not. He is that arrogant. Good faith pertaining to Wood Waste is not wasting time clearing brush off of DCR property. DCR should be doing that.

If he has the money to buy the city yards like it was a simple bank transfer and he going to spend 40 million for cleanup, then he can afford to get trucks and get those piles off the parkway and truck them out. Like I said, if he is allowed to even bring a bag of trash on the lower Broadway site....he will never leave and the taxpayers ONCE AGAIN will suffer from this man.

Another guesture of good faith would have been for him to buy out Harley Davisdon, not the taxpayers, on his behalf.

Our Board of Health have backed off, given up...whatever. If they cant enforce him on his current site, the city can make all the stipulations they want.....NO ONE will be there to enforce them and they all know it.

Edited by - Tails on 09/13/2008 10:31:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  6:45:01 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of days ago, I posted that I didn't comment on Wood Waste very often because I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge about the subject. That is how I feel about this latest proposal to get the piles off of the existing Wood Waste site. I'm on the fence about the proposal because I have some question about it that need to be answered before I can decide how I feel about it. Because of that, I'm glad that city government didn't rush into putting this process in motion immediately as it seemed that some people wanted to do the other night. Sure, I want the piles gone as soon as possible but, I also want to insure that every part of this is done legally and well as doing nothing detrimental to the public health.

The first question that I have is what type of facility is really being proposed here? According to how I read 310 CMR: Department of Environmental Protection 16.02, it would be a transfer station. The definition of a transfer station from that regulation is as follows:

Transfer Station means a handling facility where solid waste is brought, stored and transferred from one vehicle or container to another vehicle or container for transport off-site to a solid waste treatment, processing or disposal facility.

Here it comes. I'm not a lawyer. I don't have exhaustive knowledge of the law as it pertains to this industry. Maybe this proposed temporary site can be classified as something else but, as this type of proposal is probably not something that the authors of these regulations ever considered, I think that this still is the closest fit. If anyone has a better idea how to classify this proposal. I'd be glad to consider it.

The second question that I have is does the City of Everett have the authority to approve this type of facility? Mayor DeMaria has stressed lately that the city has very little control over Wood Waste. That statement has just made me wonder if the city alone can approve this plan. For the sake of this discussion, I'm going to assume, rightly or wrongly, that the approval process for a transfer station would be no different if the facility is permanent or a temporary; at least I couldn't find any. The requirements to establish a transfer station are found in MGL Chapter 111: Section 150A. Solid waste disposal facilities; maintenance and operation; applications for site assignment. I've selected some definitions and applicable passages from that section of law and they can be found below:

“Department”, the department of environmental protection.

“Facility”, a sanitary landfill, a refuse transfer station, a refuse incinerator rated by the department at more than one ton of refuse per hour, a resource recovery facility, a refuse composting plant, a dumping ground for refuse or any other works for treating, storing, or disposing of refuse.

“Maintain”, to establish, keep or sustain the presence of a facility on a site, whether or not such facility is in operation and whether or not such facility has been closed.

No place in any city or town shall be maintained or operated by any person, including any political subdivision of the commonwealth, as a site for a facility, or as an expansion of an existing facility, unless, after a public hearing, such place has been assigned by the board of health of such city or town in accordance with the provisions of this section, or, in the case of a facility owned or operated by an agency of the commonwealth, such place has been assigned by the department after a public hearing and unless public notice of such assignment has been given by the board of health or the department, whichever is applicable.

Any person desiring to maintain or operate a site for a new facility or the expansion of an existing facility shall submit an application for a site assignment to the local board of health and simultaneously provide copies to the department and the department of public health. A copy of the application for site assignment shall be filed with the board of health of any municipality within one-half mile of the proposed site. Any municipality within such one-half mile shall be afforded all the procedural rights of an abutter for the purpose of administrative review by the department or public hearing by the board of health where the proposed site is located.

No assignment shall be granted by the local board of health unless the department report affirms that the siting criteria of said section one hundred and fifty A1/2 have been met by the proposed site.

Certainly, I haven't included the entire section here; it's much too long. I'll readily admit that I have chosen the sections that will help me my argument; but, I haven't purposely excluded any portions of it that are contrary to my argument. The entire section is online for anyone to reference. If anyone locates something that goes against my argument, please let me know and I'll certainly be willing to review it and discuss it.

The way that I read these passages of the law, the Board of Health certainly has the authority to issue a siting permit for the proposed facility but not without the approval of the Departmental of Environmental Protection who in turn works with the state's Department of Public Health. I'm not sure of the actual geography down there, but it would seen to me that the City of Boston, at least, might be within the half mile limit, so they may have some say in the process too. The Board of Health would have to hold a public hearing before they could approve the application though. Even though I didn't include the sections that describe the time frame required for the application process, it doesn't appear that this is something that can just be done in a snap.

My final questions concerns the zoning of the proposed site. Current zoning, which was changed last year, would not support this type of proposal. Mr. Rossi stated last Monday night that he felt that the zoning changes didn't apply because they had filed an "A & R plan". I'm not sure what that is. Does anyone know for sure? If I had to guess, I would assume that it is an Abandonment and Restoration Plan. I have found reference to these plans online but I have been unable to track down a definition of them. But, I am sure that they apply to contaminated properties. Even if I'm wrong, I'd like to understand how they could file a plan for a parcel that they do not currently own. Maybe it was under some type of agreement at time; I'd just like to understand it. If the current zoning applies, a public hearing would need to be held to get a variance for this facility.

On top of these questions, there are all of the logistical issues and precautions that need to be worked out for the enforcement order. There is nothing that requires the Mayor to get the City Council involved in this process; I have to commend him for it. Since this is not required, I wonder what will happen if the council chooses not to participate in the process?

Again, this is only my best interpretation of the obstacles that this plan may face. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. I just know that I can't really be behind this plan if these questions aren't addressed.

Edited by - tetris on 09/13/2008 6:51:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  8:55:03 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris, thanks for the info. I wonder if the City of Boston has been notified of this proposal? Interesting, at the very least. You certainly raise a lot of questions. I hope our elected officials are reading this message board, it could help them be a little more informed, or confused!!
Go to Top of Page

Stop Wood Waste

2 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send Stop Wood Waste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you people crazy? You cannot trust Thibeault!! He will screw this city, That is his MO!! You should ALL get on board and stop this menace to the City of Everett. Don't let him get his foot in the door down on lower Broadway. You will have to live with that mistake forever. Think of your kids and Grandkids. Carlo is sending this city down the drain. Come on people........STEP UP!!! Enough is enough!!!!!! Stop Thibeault and Carlo........we all need to revolt!!!!!!When that PUBLIC HEARING is scheduled for the Wood Waste issue, we all must show up. This devil needs to be stopped. We all need to send this ADMINISTRATION a message. The residents of Everett has had enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

scamore

105 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  02:17:41 AM  Show Profile Send scamore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand what you are saying about Mr. Thibeault, but have you people notice the city yards and the clean up that has begun, have you notice that we now have a place for kids to play paintball (the old Adams furniture) took my son there yesterday, he had a ball.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  4:34:43 PM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I drove down there today and they are cleaning it up.They also have cleared the brush etc from Fouth St so you can see all the way up to the Parkway from Boston St. now.This shouldn't be surprising though if he is going to develop the property.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

158 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile Send Paul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question for anyone----Is the land Thibault is looking at on lower Broadway the triangle on the right side of Chemical Lane just before the railroad tracks and the Gateway Mall ?

And is the sludge dump Menino intends on putting in directly across on the other side of Chemical Lane going toward Boston ?

I am looking at that area on Google maps and that is the only place I can figure it can go.

THANKS.
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would seem to be the spot, Paul. Even though everyone keeps saying it's behind Costco, it's actually behind Home Depot. You can get a pretty good look at it from the Gatetway Mall side. If you use the satellite features of any of the mapping tools, you should be able to see the rail spur running into the parcel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2