Everett Average Citizen
Everett Average Citizen
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics
 Rumors
 Our Mayor 2009
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  5:47:15 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more thing I forgot to mention was isn't Thiebault in litigation with the City of Everett? If so, isn't it kind of a conflict hiring someone that is suing the City? Please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I am seeing it.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  6:04:42 PM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tails

One more thing I forgot to mention was isn't Thibault in litigation with the City of Everett? If so, isn't it kind of a conflict hiring someone that is suing the City? Please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I am seeing it.

Unless Carlo has hired Thibault, you're making no sense.

Most of the posts on the Mirror are junk. People seem to make them up as they go along to see who they can suck in. Until you've got good information, there's no sense in all this speculation.

This place is getting as bad as the other..................
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what Tails is saying, if an attorney is working for the city and is representing a client in a suit against that city, it would be a conflict of interest.

If it's an attorney from that firm and he/she left the firm to take the city job, I don't know if that would be a conflict or not. I tend to doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  8:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not happy with Thiebault. This was a big issue for me during the election and the Mayor made it out like Thiebault was a non issue. Having one of his lawyers on the city payroll is what doesn't make sense. He takes everything and anything for money and doesn't care about the environmental issues. He doesn't care about the residents in both Chelsea and Everett down by Stop & Shop that has to breathe in all that crap and he is refusing to enclose his building. They wake up with filth on their cars on a daily basis. They have to listen to his compacter banging and banging because his business is not enclosed. A new lawyer was hired today. I can not confirm who exactly it is but it's looking like it's one of Thiebault's attorneys, Mr Rossi. We will find out soon enough. IF this is true, Thiebault is still in litigation with the City of Everett. I'll wait until Monday and find out who the attorney is.
Go to Top of Page

Head

111 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:51:33 PM  Show Profile Send Head a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like I have said repeatingly on this blog. The Mayor knows what he is doing, let him do his job.
Go to Top of Page

Cam

82 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile Send Cam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mayor has been in office for a year. Any thoughts on his performance thus far?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have actually been looking for a copy of the Mayor's inauguration speech so I could do an evaluation based on the standards that the Mayor set for himself. All that I can find are a couple quotes from it; we're all familiar with at least one of them. If anybody has a copy of it, I'd appreciate it if they could post it.

Lacking that, I thought that I would wait to hear the Mayor's mid-term address this evening as jumping off point for some thoughts on his performance.
Go to Top of Page

massdee

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  10:01:35 AM  Show Profile Send massdee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tetris, Are you referring to the now famous quote, "Gone are the days" in your previous post?
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  11:10:05 AM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that it goes without saying Massdee; but, I guess that I just did
Go to Top of Page

tetris

2040 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  8:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send tetris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The almost complete text of the mayor's mid-term address, as printed in last Thursday's Leader-Herald (Sorry, I didn't include the list of guests; there was enough to type without it.):

"...thank you for being here this evening to celebrate this special milestone in our administration.

2008 was a year to remember. When my administration took office in January, we encountered some initial bumps and bruises, but along the way we also found great success. Tonight is an opportunity for us to reflect on our commitments, remember the expectations we set, and above all to set higher expectations for ourselves.

2008 started as a year with unknown promise. We elected a new President a New Leadership, we are courageously facing uncertain economic times, and we are still valiant in our support of our troops overseas.

Unfortunately in 2008, we lost three great friends. Frank D'Ortenzio - our Food and Milk Inspector, Annette Scaperotti our Weights and Measures Inspector and Paul Hegner from our City Services department. All great co-workers and friends, and above all, great people.

On behalf of everyone in city government, my heart goes out to their families. Their loss is felt everyday, and we miss them terribly.

This time last year I called for "a vision of City Government that puts serving our citizens front and center".

I promised an agenda of a clean city, to look for ways to generate much needed revenue and offer strong fiscal and operational management. With great people, we can do great things.

To my benefit I quickly realized that we have the foundation of a great team, which is why in 2008 my administration was able to put the needs of the people of Everett first, without burdening our constituency with higher taxes or fees for services.

We finally sold the City Yards, we're in final negotiations on the sale of the Devens School, and are working on future options for the Old High School and other surplus property.

We implemented a citywide recycling program, with help of Mr, Jon Norton. Partnering with Recyclebank, our program has received national and international attention, from Hong Kong to Paris and profiled on ABC Nightly News, Everett is leading a Recycling revolution.

Under the direction of my wife Stacy, the Everett Beautification Program, with the help of the Chamber of Commerce, brings business and government together to bring back the vibrancy and beauty of Everett.

Utilizing the skills of our City Services crew we are able to perform more work ourselves we revitalized the Sidewalk Improvement Program, fixing over 115 sidewalks in just 12 weeks.

We're repairing potholes, cleaning and repairing our parks and recreation areas and doing a great job on snow removal.

In response to the many questions, request and concerns we receive on a daily basis, our Constituent Services Division has successfully helped well over 900 residents.

To put a halt to illegal rooming houses, to rid our city of blighted and deplorable property - we established the Housing Task Force. Consolidating efforts, combining talents, and partnering ideas to bring back vitality and energy to our neighborhoods.

I applaud the efforts of everyone in my administration.

You have embraced change and are an incredibly valued part of the team. This administration is working; every employee welcomes the challenges and provides great ideas.

Through our work in 2008, we're going to see more results in 2009. From renovations at the Parlin School, to replacing the Chelsea Street Traffic Light, to fixing the Parlin Library steps, to beginning construction of the Bike to the Sea trail. We're not standing still, we're constantly moving forward.

And we're not alone in the push to make Everett a better place.

Through the extreme hard work of State Senator Anthony Galluccio and State Representative Stat Smith, we've received a $500,000 grant for improvements to Everett Stadium. All the city's youth programs and high school sports will enjoy a great field.

Working closely with our State Delegation we are pressuring Governor Patrick to recognize the Whidden Hospital and Cambridge Health Alliance as an important resource to our community. We will do whatever it takes to ensure quality healthcare continues at the hospital.

In 2009, we will officially open the doors to Everett's first Boys and Girls Club. Again, I am thankful for the efforts of our State Delegation securing funding to allow the Boys and Girls club to operate here in Everett. The Boys and Girls Club will offer programs that complement our outstanding Recreation Department to reach all of our young people.

In 2009, our country, our state, and our city may see the most challenging financial climate in recent history. With major deficits at the State Level, we are planning for a discerning future. Optimistic of our new leadership, however realistic, since change for the better takes time.

My Budget Director Lauren Chapman, and our Auditor Larry DeCoste, are looking at every opportunity to decrease our budget and preserve our free cash reserve. Though, we are blessed with a strong stabilization fund, it's extremely important that we continue to exercise the most conservative fiscal management.

My challenge to our departments: find creative ways to do more with less, change procedures, amend policies, or update deliverables. Look for ways to consolidate, avoid redundancy and be effective.

Working together we can grow the Everett of the future.

We have great development potential along Route 16, along the Malden River, with our old High School, and even in Everett Square.

I believe Everett is very attractive to Biotechnology companies, to "Green Technology" companies, and Scientific Manufacturing. Industries creating 21st century jobs.

I'm happy to note that we are in negotiations, with the help of Congressman Markey and Secretary O'Connell -- with Berkeley Development, a leading development and investment firm in Boston, and the current owner of the former GE site.

Our plan, to design and develop the area's first "Green" office park. Let's bring those good paying jobs to the people of Everett and keep people in Everett.

To that degree, we need to get our young people working, providing the foundation for our youth to be the leaders of tomorrow.

That is why I reached out to our big industry, and today, I'm proud to announce, through working closely with Exxon Mobil's "Green Team," we have secured a $60,000 grant to revive the Youth Summer Jobs Program. No longer a budget issue, we'll have the means for young people to get great educational and work experience.

In 2009 I will convene Everett's "2020 Committee." With the help of business, community, and religious leaders, Our mission will be bold - to ask the question - where should Everett be in the year 2020? This ambitious group will help me set milestones and benchmarks for our administration to work with a future objective.

I am proud of where we are, and where we are going. With strong community organizations, a growing business community, and the ability to offer more services to the residents of our city.

Some eighty years ago a newly elected Mayor James A. Roache, outlined his plan for our city: strong educational facilities, clean playgrounds, firm fiscal management, solid public health facilities, create good jobs, and make a point to keep his city clean.

In 2009, I offer a similar agenda, good jobs, a clean safe city, a great education, and conservative fiscal management.

With an open door and an open mind, I promise to keep pushing Everett forward, invite new ideas and new ways of working together.

Our predecessors were optimistic yet conservative, and built our great city. It is our turn as government, as residents, to make the most of our opportunities.

When guided by strong principles, where we consistently push forward ideas, when we strive to work together, we will create a healthy, vibrant and prosperous Everett.

I can leave you with a promise that this Administration will continue to work for best interest of the people of Everett.

We'll be optimistic in our approach, conservative in our practice and passionate about generating results.

I thank you, Members of the Board of Aldermen, Common Council, the Everett School Committee, I thank our honored guests, my department heads, my family and friends.

I thank you for your patience and courtesy and wish everyone in Everett, a healthy and Happy New Year."
Go to Top of Page

charm

264 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile Send charm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see the new smart cars are in the parking lot at city hall, wonder if they will be alive tonite
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they were a good idea. Thanks go to Sergio for bringing it up, and not letting it just die, and Mr. Kelly for all the hard work.
Go to Top of Page

justme
Advanced Member

1428 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:38:39 AM  Show Profile Send justme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw one the cars this morning............... It looked like a toy!

I also think they're a great idea,
Go to Top of Page

Tails
Administrator

2682 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send Tails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!

They are funny looking. I didn't notice if they had reserved parking too.....
Go to Top of Page

jcklla

32 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile Send jcklla a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are they going to do with the cars ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Everett Average Citizen © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2